BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Master Pontificator

Default A solar charger for my Kindle

If the power is out for more than a few hours, I'm going to need my Kindle. I found this:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...solar-panels/?

So far, I like the Solio. The company also has other products that would make being off grid comfortable.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

My Kindle is also my go-to when the power is out. But even now that I read for 2-3 hours a day the battery lasts 2 weeks - don't see the need to charge unless I let it get down real low.

My solution is I have a 12V USB adapter from the Dollar Store for $1 - I'll just plug my kindle in at my truck for a couple hours and be good for another 2 weeks.

I also keep ahead with my books - I usually have 30 or more books unread on my Kindle since I won't be able to download any during a power outage.

And worse comes to worse I still have bookcases full of real books.....

Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Master Pontificator

I'm using my Kindle right now to write this and there's no way I can go for 2 weeks without charging. I use this device like a computer. I have close to 2,000 books stored because I get them when they're free from Amazon. I've only paid for 2 books.

I don't have a car, so using a car charger is out. The only solution I came up with is solar since Texas has plenty of sun, free for the taking.

I don't have a phone, so staying connected to the outside world during a crisis is a top priority for me.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Oh - you have a Kindle tablet - I was talking about my Kindle e-reader.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Don't consider a unit with a panel and a battery. It will take days to recharge the attached battery because the panel is so small..

You already have a battery and your goal is to charge it. Instead of paying for another battery, put your money into a larger panel with more output..

Something like this will charge "your" battery that you already have in a much shorter time. You could achieve a full charge in 3-4 hrs. in full sun..

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Dual-Por...+phone+charger
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Thank you! I knew I'd get pointed in the right direction on this forum. 😁
Old 10-18-2015, 04:56 PM

COALTRAIN, I was surprised by that instill I realized you were taking about a reader. I have both and yeah the reader does last about two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
If the power is out for more than a few hours, I'm going to need my Kindle. I found this:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...solar-panels/?

So far, I like the Solio. The company also has other products that would make being off grid comfortable.
I like the solar with a battery, you can use your device. While the unit charges
Old 10-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Those solar charged batteries are cute and sexy if you only see the outside. The technical side says a different story..

This is a 5000 mAh battery with a solar panel. If you read a little deeper...

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Portab...lar+bank+power

"Attention - Solar powered charger is perfect for emergency use, not a main charging resource. It takes about 40 Hours to make the solar power bank fully charged under direct sunlight, so it is recommended to charge by wall charger, which only takes about several hours."

4 hrs. of sun a day.. (Maybe) = 10 days! LOL.. So... It is recommended to charge by wall charger, which only takes about several hours..
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
My Kindle is also my go-to when the power is out. But even now that I read for 2-3 hours a day the battery lasts 2 weeks - don't see the need to charge unless I let it get down real low.

My solution is I have a 12V USB adapter from the Dollar Store for $1 - I'll just plug my kindle in at my truck for a couple hours and be good for another 2 weeks.

I also keep ahead with my books - I usually have 30 or more books unread on my Kindle since I won't be able to download any during a power outage.

And worse comes to worse I still have bookcases full of real books.....

Those things are great but they don't stay in the lighter socket very well. I add some strips of black electrical tape between the ground contacts and jam 'um in the sockets. Work fine.. Last long time!

I have one outlet that has 3 standard cigar lighter outlets and 1 USB charger on the end. I bought 3 of those El Cheepos, added some tape, and now I have a 4 outlet USB charger!
*Robert Frost*