BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Default Any lister 6/1 owners here?

I'm a bit of an old engine geek, and I own a Lister 6/1 CS clone that runs an ST5 generator head. Is there anyone else on the forum who has experience with these or owns one?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlingtoy View Post
I'm a bit of an old engine geek, and I own a Lister 6/1 CS clone that runs an ST5 generator head. Is there anyone else on the forum who has experience with these or owns one?
Welcome to the forum, Crawlingtoy.

a) I'm confused. Are you an old and an engine geek, or are you a geek about old engines?

2] Not familiar with Lister engines, so I searched the name and found this site, which may help you out http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php Cripes. There are specialty forums for just about anything, I reckon.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Like Doc said... Welcome...

My only knowledge about Lister engines is a little of what I have read about the single cylinder diesels running generators.. Being a 4 stroke, single cyl, slow rpm engine there is a thing called the "Lister limp, Lister lope... Something like that..

It seems to be a condition, with there low rpm, where on the power stroke 1/2 turn of the engine the generator speeds up, then slows down until the next power stroke... This is supposedly noticeable in a light bulb being brighter then dimmer until the next peak..

I suspect there is supposed to be some electrical "filter/gadget" that you can use first appliance down stream of the generator that will smooth that out..

Like said my only engine driven generator experience has been with the generator capacity built into an engine driven welding machine.. I bet a guy called 12V Man and others here on the forum can swamp you with details and useful info..

Good luck...
Old 10-27-2015, 02:30 PM

iam familiar and have a few of the old hit and miss as well as a few old dodge diesels and poly and hemi and even a few dodge flatheads. I might be considered as an old engine geek
Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 PM

oh forgot to mention one of my winter projects is putting a 4bt into one of my m 37 s
Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 PM

I was first exposed to the true old lister engines in Andros Bahamas in 1993. An old farm in the middle of the island had two of them used for electricity. The ran great. I have since been looking for one like that but have not stumbled upon any. That old farm is prob deserted now and they are prob sitting there rusting away.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the nice welcomes. Well, I just turned 40, so while I feel old I'm sure that in the grand scheme of things I am not doing too bad.

I do know about that forum, and read it regularly. It has a wealth of information and good folks.

Mine is a Power Solutions clone of a CS 6/1 running an ST5 generator head. It makes 3600 watts max, I usually don't ever put more than 2kw on it and it keeps the fuel consumption down around a pint an hour. I've never had an issue with lights flashing or anything, it hold 60 hz rock solid. The big flywheels actually help that.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37 View Post
oh forgot to mention one of my winter projects is putting a 4bt into one of my m 37 s
Tell me more! I would love to do this myself some day.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I was first exposed to the true old lister engines in Andros Bahamas in 1993. An old farm in the middle of the island had two of them used for electricity. The ran great. I have since been looking for one like that but have not stumbled upon any. That old farm is prob deserted now and they are prob sitting there rusting away.

That is a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm sure Africa, south America and many other places are sprinkled with lister engines just waiting for someone like me to snatched them up.

If you like I can forward info on where to find them, the EPA banned them a while back so they are getting harder to come by and more expensive.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
That is a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm sure Africa, south America and many other places are sprinkled with lister engines just waiting for someone like me to snatched them up.

If you like I can forward info on where to find them, the EPA banned them a while back so they are getting harder to come by and more expensive.
Thanks if I ever get back to Andros I will look and see if they are still there. Meanwhile I have move on to old military diesel generators. I have a MEP-03 10kw
Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 PM

Very nice. How does the Onan do for you?

My main issue is that I don't use much power and fuel consumption is my biggest concern.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Very nice. How does the Onan do for you?

My main issue is that I don't use much power and fuel consumption is my biggest concern.
A MEP02 works for most people and provide plenty of power. They are rated I think about 1/2 gallon an hour while my MEP03 is almost 1 gallon an hour.

The newest military generators are quieter and use even less fuel (AMMPS generator.). But will be a few years before you see many of them hitting the surplus market. That is why all these older MEPS are being surplused out. This is a link to a site that has the brochure for the new AMMPS. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...MMPS-generator!

Mine runs well starts right up and I have new (NOS) spare engine for it. Has the capability to be hooked up to a bulk tank easily
Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM

Very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for one in my local market.

There was a listing a while back on craigslist for a mil-surp 10kw generator with a Kubota engine. Mep903c, I believe. Do you know anything about them? I passed on it, since 10kw is much bigger than I need, but I'm having second thought on that lately.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 PM

The MEP 903C 3-cylinder Kubota power units, turning at 3600 rpm.

These were in Humvee's and used the vehicles batteries to start it and the control panel was separate as well. They are water cooled

Engine should not consume more than 1.31 gallons (4.96 liters) per hour when operating at 3600 rpm and at rated load.

Here is the Manual for it. Good thing about military generators you can usually find a manual for one from operator to complete tear down for repairs. Most trouble shooting is pretty detailed. We called it Sailor/Soldier/Marine/Airman proof/ As well they are usually rated at lower than what they really produce again to prevent overloading them.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9...0-14-and-P.pdf

Last edited by Bones; 10-31-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the manual. The next time I'm in town I'll stop over there and see if he still has it.

1.31 gallons an hour is a ton of consumption, my lister is only .125 gallons an hour making 1/3 the watts. That is why I have hesitated to buy something bigger.

How do these other engines do on other fuels? Can any of them run on WVO, kerosene or waste motor oil?

Thanks for talking about this stuff. I'm an engineer on tug boats by day and I love working on generators. The boat I work on now has all CAT engines, which I'm not real impressed with. C9 generators are probably the worst design ever.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM

There is a whole forum on military engines on alternate fuels. You can join the forum without having to own a military piece of equipment. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdi...ernative-Fuels

Or just by a old deuce and half that has a multi fuel engine in it. They will burn anything from transmission oil to Gasoline.