BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Timed out, Thrown off site, WHO KNOWS WHAT?????

In the past, I could log on and be idle reading, go get a snack and come back 2 - 3 hours later and post comments to a thread without any difficulty.

As of late, I can log on and be idle for 20 - 30 minutes, attempt to post, only to find out I have to log on again. Once logged on the second time my comments have disappeared into never never land.

It is irritating when the planned post only contained a sentence or two, but when it was several paragraphs, it is more than irritating!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what has changes in the past 45 days or so?

Additionally there have been no changes in computers, software, upgrades, carriers, etc., etc. All has remained the same since the latest computer was purchased in '12. The carrier has been the same for over two decades.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

I feel your pain. Nothing makes me any more angry than to "Peck" (Being I can't type) a long post and watch it vanish! If you have sensitive ears, you wouldn't want to be within a couple blocks of me when that happens, let me tell ya..

I started to copy my posts before I hit the Go Button so I could at least keep it and paste it back in this situation. Sure helps with the blood pressure and I don't scare the critters anymore..

There was a change made to the site back in June, I believe. Oliver made a server change. Take a looksee here. This could be the answer..

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...157#post415157
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM

I check the box that says stay logged on and have my PC remember the PW for the site and have no issues.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I check the box that says stay logged on and have my PC remember the PW for the site and have no issues.
Thats me too . When it does happen it is the Internet connection that times out not never the particular site I am visiting.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 AM

I would check with Oliver just to be sure. The new server threw me for a loop. I couldn't log in at all.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Administrator

The Forum is set to disconnect members after 60 minutes of inactivity so as to free up the connection for use by others. If you're being disconnected in less time than that, it is likely your browser or Internet provider.

Back when the 'Net was young, and any connection to anywhere might be severed at any moment, best practice was to -- whenever possible -- type long messages offline in a plain text editor, and then paste them into the newsgroup, bbs, or wherever. I still do that for any long or complex message, just in case.

If you type directly into the Forum message box, it's always good to do as Don does and highlight & copy the message before hitting the button, so if anything goes wrong, you can log back in and just paste the message.

All the above said, I'll check with the server guys to see if they've tweaked anything recently that might be affecting connection timeouts.

Oliver
Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Back when the 'Net was young, and any connection to anywhere might be severed at any moment, best practice was to -- whenever possible -- type long messages offline in a plain text editor, and then paste them into the newsgroup, bbs, or wherever. I still do that for any long or complex message, just in case.
Back BEFORE the Net was young I ran a BBS with one line. Someone would dial in, leave a comment, then disconnect. The next guy would dial in, enter his "Oh, yeah! Well so is your mother!" and disconnect for the next user to dial in.

Re: getting disconnected -- Since moving to Windows 10 I feel like I'm back at the beginning days of dial up. Apparently, they've dumbed down the computer's ability to connect. Which makes perfect sense, since everything - including the basic text editor - wants to be on line.

Moral of the story, just as you mentioned, type it up off line then paste it in.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Re: getting disconnected -- Since moving to Windows 10 I feel like I'm back at the beginning days of dial up. Apparently, they've dumbed down the computer's ability to connect. Which makes perfect sense, since everything - including the basic text editor - wants to be on line.
I knew W10 was intrusive, but didn't realize they want everything "connected." Makes sense, though, if the goal is to track everywhere you go and everything you do.

Oliver
Old 11-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The Forum is set to disconnect members after 60 minutes of inactivity so as to free up the connection for use by others. If you're being disconnected in less time than that, it is likely your browser or Internet provider.

If you type directly into the Forum message box, it's always good to do as Don does and highlight & copy the message before hitting the button, so if anything goes wrong, you can log back in and just paste the message.

All the above said, I'll check with the server guys to see if they've tweaked anything recently that might be affecting connection timeouts.

Oliver
Thanks (all inclusive to everyone else who responded).

It is probably the sixty minutes inactivity, although I have not actually timed any occasions when the situation occurred.

I think, I can remedy the situation knowing the most likely problem.

I will keep a closer eye on the time element and if I encounter the problem under sixty minutes I will shout back, otherwise consider the problem eliminated.