BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 AM

Default Canning Question

Hello everyone!
I just read something about a canning hack for fruit (http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/ca...make-the-syrup) that is packed into jars with a light to heavy syrup and wanted to know if you guys thought this was a safe hack. I thought I would change their process a little but you can go to their site and see how they did this. Below is how I was thinking it might be done.
You boil a kettle of water on stove. Into your quart clean sterile jars you measure cup of sugar for a light syrup or cup of sugar for a heavy syrup. You pour just enough boiling water into jar so you can stir and dissolve the sugar. Pack your prepared fruit into jars and top off with boiling water. Get air out of jars and clean rims and seal jars. Process according to time as directed for the fruit as normal. This sounds too easy lol. You would not have to guess at the amount of syrup you needed, no sugar syrup pan to clean up, and each jar has just the right amount of syrup. This would make it easy to do small batches also.
Let me know if you think this sounds like a safe way to process something like peaches etc.
Thanks
Mountaingirlnc
Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I asked my canning authority (my wife) about this and she said the only difference she could see between your method and making standard syrups is that syrups are actually hotter than boiling water due to the dissolved sugar, but she didn't think this would really make a difference in fruit canning as long as the sugar fully dissolved in the jar.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 PM

That is what I was thinking, and I would be processing for the amount of time the fruit called for.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:05 PM

This recipe might be sweeter than you imagine.

The very light syrup recipe is 1.25 cups sugar per every 7 quarts. That's less than 1/4 cup of sugar. Very light syrup is equivalent to fruit packed in its own juice.

The other concern I have is that there is a difference between syrup and sugary water. Syrup is a sugar and water mixture that has gone through the "candy process" - a heating that binds the sugar to the water more fully. With dissolving sugar in hot water and not heating it further, I'd be concerned about separation and sugar crystals forming.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 AM

That is why I put the question out here... I was wondering if this is safe or not. I do not want to take a risk with my family. I have canned a lot but never ran across this before. Ah well it did sound too easy...
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 PM

It is probably safe. Fruit, which grows on trees so they don't get contaminated from soil / the ground, tends to be okay. You can 'water bath' fruit, after all. Of course, I can't guarantee anything. I'm just saying without syrup, you may not like the final product.