BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 AM

Default Country living in the city.

I fell from a scaffold about eight years ago and became disabled to the point that I'll never be able to hold a regular job again, however, by pacing myself and taking hour long breaks several times during the day I still put in more than 40 hours a week. According to what I am doing, it isn't unusual for me to still be working when the sun comes up a couple day a week.
When I first fell, we were in a really bad bind. I tried to tell the doctors that they didnt't know me and I would get back to work in due time but after about five months I realized that the doctors were the ones that were right and by then, I had spent about all we had in the bank making ends meet and then it took me a year before I ever got a check for disability and that was only $711 a month and my wife hadn't had a job since our youngest daughter was born, which had been about 15 years before and it took her a few years before she could even get a job.
I had been working shut downs working 6 and 7 days a week and 10 or 12 hours a day and bringing home over a grand nearly every week when I worked at that and I contracted in-between those jobs. I was used to buying whatever I wanted any time that I wanted but after that fall, it all went away piece by piece, all the way back to renting again.
Then a cousin that I hadn't seen since before I feel came by one day and wanted to know if he bought a house that needed remodeling, if I'd do it and after talking about it for a while, I took the job on.
Well I finished that and his FIL was so impressed with my work he decided to let me remodel a house that had set for better than ten years because it was in so bad of shape. Those two jobs saved my life because I was about ready to end it all back then and I would have if it hadn't been for leaving my wife and daughter in the shape they would have been in.
Anyway, Thomas Lee, the man that owns the house let me rent it for $325 a month which is a heck of a deal for what we have here plus he let me decide everything I did, with the exception of installing an electric furnace instead of oil. With the utility bill, I was better off paying the rent we had lived at to start with, but I fixed that. The house sets on an old farm with 56 acres of land and it borders the county line and is grandfathered with all the land as a farm, so I can raise any type of animals I care to.
I fixed the utility bill by building us an outside boiler that isn't quit complete yet, but I do have her burning and keeping the house and shop passed warm. If I am not careful it will sneak up on me and just about run us out of the house if it is above about 40 degrees outside and so far since she went on line we have had the temps drop to the mid 20's aty night and it still be plenty warm the next morning. This is the first time of that in the two years we have been here and both winters saw utility bills over $600 two months and between $250 and over $500 for another four months.
I am expecting those to drop to less than or just a bit over $100 a month now. I also built a domestic hot water heater which isn't hooked up yet that will be heated with the same water that heats the house plus I want to put an automobile water heater on a clothes dryer to do away with the electric coil also.
I do have at least two or three leaks but I will open the door and let the boiler burn out in the morning and fix them and then finish hooking up the water heater. Just that thing says on the sticker that the average yearly usage is 508 at $ .10 a KWhr, but our bill is a hair over $.116 per KWhr, so that runs that bill up to $589.28 or a bit over $49 a month and that should stop tomorrow if I am lucky.
After this thing gets all ironed out and running smoothly, I am planning on either starting on building a scratch built tractor or finishing a saw mill that I started before I fell. That is about 80 to 90% complete already and I already have an eighteen HP, twin cylinder engine with a pressurized oil system.
However, if I build the tractor first, I might use that engine on it but I want to go with about a 25 hp diesel engine if I can afford one.
Well, the one thing that I don't like about this house is that it is too close to the road. That is a dead end road but there are about a dozen houses on the road and I have never seen so much traffic for such a dead area.
But I think that I have talked Thomas Lee into allowing me to build a log home back on the rear of the l;and if I put a septic tank in first. There are four other rental homes and trailers on the 56 acres but none of them take up more than a half acre and Thomas Lee has them all, plus about twenty five trailers across a highway hooked up to two different wells. I forgot to tell about that too. He has the wells and the septic system and pays for all up keeps and the electric bill for the wells also. That is another bit of savings on the utility bill each month.
I have a place that I can raise a garden at least about 40 or 50 feet by 100 feet and with some cutting of some saplings and dragging out the stumps I can go as large as 50 feet x 200 feet but I think that if I get the tractor built in time this spring I'll just start at about 40' x 80' or so and let her grow a bit each year for a few years.
I also have a small creek that is spring fed by three springs and one of them was dug out and blocked up back in the early seventies for the house to have water. It used to actually be a block barn with a barn type hay loft up stairs and back then, Thomas Lee remodeled it and put two bedrooms upstairs and we have a living room, kitchen, office.=/computer room, bath and a large laundry room/pantry downstairs, and I have a 12' x 25' closed in carport which I made into my work shop.
I love the layout of the house but the stairs is a killer for my wife and me also. Unless I get started on a log home pretty soon I am going to have to build a chair lift to get up and down them. Getting up and down them after the the first time in the morning for me isn't bad but my wife is sorta heavy and has problems with her legs and feet and she has to go to the bathroom a couple times or at least one time every night. While she is the one that I'll really build that for, I crushed bones in both of my feet and one ankle and broke my left femur bone so bad they put a rod in it and they might have to operate on that again if I don't learn to stay off of my feet some more pretty soon, but that is hard for me to do. I was always a go getter and I just can't help it. I come up some times to take a break and grab abeer and light a cigarette and won't even smoke half the cigarette and I'll be back down in the shop before I even realize what I was doing. That drives me crazy as the dickens but it's just me. And I won't ever realize I did it until my leg or feet start hurting again, which is usually a half hour or so. At least it doesn't take long before they ease off as long as I have my meds.
Well, it's pass 1:00 am now so I best hit the sack if I am going to finish that boiler tomorrow.
Dennis
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Way to go FM... I also did a number of feast/famine years, 7/12s or nothing, the way that life style seems to work...

Glad you have been able to adapt, overcome, prevail..

PICTURES.... WE NEED PICTURES.... ALWAYS enjoy pictures of thing people do..

Good luck..
Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Way to go FM... I also did a number of feast/famine years, 7/12s or nothing, the way that life style seems to work...

Glad you have been able to adapt, overcome, prevail..

PICTURES.... WE NEED PICTURES.... ALWAYS enjoy pictures of thing people do..

Good luck..
Well Buckaroo, I have been trying to learn what I need and how post pictures on here, but I haven't really had the extra money to buy any kind of a fairly nice camera to get the pictures with, but with the boiler on line now, maybe it'll free up some cash flow so I can get one.
Yea, I was pretty lucky to avoid the famine part of that type of work, because when I was working shutdowns I could usually keep a job lined up to contract in between the shut downs.
Well, I best get under the house and go ahead a plumb up the new water I built to heat the domestic hot water so I don't have to pay to heat that either. Take care.
Dennis
Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Be careful about working and collecting disability at the same time.
I certainly wouldn't talk about it on a forum board.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Having to rest regularly throughout the day pretty much spells disability. Going out to a paying job doesn't sound doable in this situation.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Having to rest regularly throughout the day pretty much spells disability. Going out to a paying job doesn't sound doable in this situation.
Thank you Anna, but I am afraid that backlash is 100% right with his advice, and thank you backlash.
I do brag a bit too much about what I can still do at my age and after all of my injuries, but I am so pleased that I can do this much now.
It isn't like I could work a regular job, and I wish I could for God's sake, but that will never happen again. But I am so very happy that the doctors were wrong when they said I'd never walk again with out help nor use my left hand again.
As I said earlier, I built us a boiler that killed the $600 plus utility bill, but that took me over a year to do and even though it is heating the house and shop as I speak, (or type) I still have to get the blower and control unit hooked up, plus insulate it and close it in before it is finished.
Heck I don't even have the pipes buried yet.

But still yet, the way the Danged government is, they could probably find a way to stop my check next month so thanks again for the heads up my friend.