BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Obesity

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ility-benefits

Wonderful Article. Explains obesity under controlled conditions.

But Buckley said he doesn’t believe the issue is unique to navy service.

“I don’t think the food aboard the ships is any different than the food in the average kitchen in Nova Scotia,” Buckley told The Chronicle Herald. “It’s the same processed rubbish that most everyone is eating.

“The only thing unique about him is that he was on a different diet altogether before he went into the military.”

According to former navy officer Ken Hansen, obesity in the navy is not a new problem, nor is this case an isolated one.

“Eating is a really big deal in a life that is predominately boredom and punctuated with moments of extreme excitement. Food becomes enormously important for morale.”
Old 12-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have heard of similar things from a couple of sources. What I had NOT heard of was the gov. being sued for it!!!!!!!!

I do not know if I approve of the lawsuit or not, though. Couldn't he have eaten a bit less?????

In the word of one man, who was discharged for being chronically ill, "When I stopped eating the White Man's food" and started eating mostly what he had raised he got healthy again.

I see that this happened in Canada, but I bet the problem is the same here!

Last edited by Terri; 12-06-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 PM

Recently there has been information that people can lose weight relatively easily, but cannot keep the lost weight off. In fact the keep off percentage was under 5 %. (The was a long term study over about 7 years if I remember encompassing around 14,000 people.)

The thrust of the articles was that to keep weight off the diet must be completely changed. Put another way the diet used to put the weight on is simply not sufficient by reducing to keep the weight off.

I have personally felt the propagated diet by say the Canadian Food Guide is simply unhealthy and inducive to weight gain in our modern way of living.

This Navy article is a rather poignant real life situation depicting the problem.

Most people flatly refuse to completely change what they ingest. And this is reflected by the obesity epidemic in Western societies.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

A coupla thoughts"

-the guy went from 21y/o to 47y/o during the period in question. How many of us weigh the same in middle age as we did in our youth? (I do, but I rarely eat grain.)

-an hour's worth of extremely vigorous physical activity, say, competitive bicycling, for instance, only burns about 400 cal/hr. Exercise doesn't make you lose weight.

-notice that the sailor's "natural diet" consisted of meat and leafy veggies-- NOT grain.

-the US govt (I don't know about the Canucks) emphasize grains in the diet for political, not scientific reasons. They need those farmers' votes.

-my opinion on the litigation & the disability award: firing squad, for the guy, his lawyers and the govt goofs who made the award.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:46 PM

Move more - eat less !!

Pretty simple and pure personal choice.

To easy in today's society to blame someone else/ usually it's the govt! IN 99.9999% of the cases being fat is a personal choice by not taking responsibility ones self. To many syndromes in today's world thst give people opportunity to blame someone for personal failures.

Pure bs!

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:11 AM

One way to look at the progression of humans, diet, and other things is to look at the period before the start of the industrial revolution.. The size of people, health, diet.... Between the industrial revolution and say depression of the 1930s... Then modern day man...

Seems along with physical stature, diet, and disease all make noticeable changes as each era progresses with processed and higher volume factory made foods.. For instance... Think the progression of home, local village, large industrial bakery...

This trend will not be easy to change.. For instance.. Looking at the school lunch programs.. In the years they have been made more and more "healthy" there has been just as big a growth in resistance to this by monitoring what is thrown away from these meals.. It seemingly can't be turned around in this little of a time... SeewhatImean...

How long did it take to get to this point ?? How long will it take to turn around ?? I hope there is a better answer, but I don't know it...

My 2 cents..