BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:32 AM

Default ind is made up. Wood splitter next project.

As some of you already know, I have built myself an outside boiler/furnace. Well that is coming along alright, except or a couple small drips that this old welder with over 40 years experience let get past me.
Have a buddy that helped somewhat, that kept saying we needed to pressure check it but "NO WAY". It wasn't going to leak. O WELL. It does.

Just a couple of little drips and I have already welded one o them up that was on the outside of the tank, but the second one is inside the firebox and I'll have to let the wood completely burn out and them steam clean it before I can weld it up.
It isn't a bad leak. Just a drip really. and only about a drip per second, but a drip per second = 60 drips a minutes, which = 3,600 drips per hour and that ends up being 43,200 drips in 12 hours which is what I am checking the boiler at, and that makes a mess out of wood ashes twice a day.

Actually you can make Lye from ashes of hard wood. I made some to clean the drain pipes a few years back and that was some strong stuff.

Anyway, I have all the dead firewood I'll need around here. It is trees still standing, but they are dead and dried.
Most of them are about 12 to 14 inches wide at the base and easy for this old broken down man to handle, and I had it in my mind, that after I got a good bed of coals going, that I could load a few smaller pieces and then maybe a few 4-5-6" wide pieces and then a couple of the biggest pieces into the firebox, (which is 36" wide and round, and then 42" deep, with a 24" x 24" door and all would be great. That's what I thought anyway.
"But", it has to be split at least once unless we need a whole lot o heat really, really fast.

So that brings me to needing a wood splitter.
Well, while looking for a materials kit that I could buy and build one myself, I came across this DR electric Log Splitter and I am totally beside myself.
As a welder, I have used the steel shears that can chunk off pieces of solid 1" thick steel because of the massive flywheels the comparably small electric motors keep turning at a certain speed, but until now, I had never even thought, the slightest bit about building a wood splitter on the same basis.
The second that I saw the DR unit, I saw the potential there.
I kinetic energy will pinch off solid steel an inch thick and several inches wide the way it does, it would burst huge logs that would take a huge hydraulic splitter several minutes to split, yet it would do it in a "split Second" Pun intended.

So my next project will be a kinetic energy type splitter. But I think I am going to have to put my own signature on it, as t do it cheap, LOL.
O Course the manufacture uses flywheels from the smallest unit using two 12.5 lbs., to two of them weighing 75 lbs. each, and of course I can't aord those.
The smallest o their splitters did good on about 8 to 10 inch wood until they got to Oak but stumbled with that. So the 12.5 wheels are out.
After thinking a while, I came up with two new trailer wheels and tires from Harbor freight, and filled with concrete???
The only problem here is that some where along the line while I was watching all the video's from the DR company, they said they turned at about 400 RPM to store the energy. I am wondering how much problem 400 RP's will be to balance well enough.
I am thinking that I can also mount a 1/4" round steel plate on one side o each wheel and add welding to the outside of that until she runs smooth.
Is that too much to ask for, LOL????????????????
Well, let me go check the boiler and hit the sack if I can get to sleep.

Dennis
Old 12-09-2015, 04:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It's probably not wise to do the concrete fly wheel plan. At 400 rpm, you don't want something that fragile liable to shatter easily flying off. That's one heckuvalot of momentum, and even poured inside the tire, it would go right thru the rubber like a bullet.

As all our mothers would say, "You could put your eye out!"
Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 AM

I don't even need to split wood for our 2 or 3 month heating cycle but I love seeing the different innovations that wood chopper put together.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...820#post420820

Here's a thread which features lots of splitters and excellent discussions.

Build one worthy of Youtube fame!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:38 PM

Have thought about a PV wood splinter.

Simply use the 12 volt pump, and maybe even the cylinder, from the back of a truck (the loading lift).

A panel and battery for the power.

Any body know where I could get the rail
Old 12-09-2015, 03:23 PM

I was thinking about this morning Doc, and you are more than likely right about that.
When I thought it up I was thinking about them packing tires with calcium or whatever or weight in tractor tires, but that would be a different animal all together, wouldn't it.
Hey, I never said I was perfect did I????, LOL
Well, how about a pair of large truck wheels without the tire???
Anyway, that won't be as big a problem as having the Rack and Pinion gear made, but even that shouldn't be all that bad.
I know that the teeth on both o them will have to stand up to a great amount o power. I the DR splits the wood as fast as it does and it beats a 34 ton hydraulic splitter, don't you know there is a lot of pressure between each and everyone of the teeth as they pass through.
But the fast pictures of the rack on the DR's doesn't show what I'd call a huge rack at all. It might be a 1" x 2" rack with the teeth cut the 1" wide direction.
Actually it hardly seems possible, but the video's sure show it splitting the wood.
Just type in something about the DR Wood Splitters and watch the videos.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM

Well, I just went and checked to see what would pop up and got the DR Rapid ire splitter or $1,199 and I don't think I'd come out to the good if I tried to build my own for that cost. I could save half the money but that would take me a month of work to do it.
I have done gotten old and my time and labor is more valuable than that.
I have been doing a lot of thinking about me building the boiler, and I have to say, I'd never have one and my utility bill wouldn't be down to $181.10 from over six hundred for last years bill, if I hadn't built it, and that was a must to save the cash that we are saving. My water heater is going now so that will add to the savings, plus it took me a while to figure out how to work the boiler and keep the electric heat off so that also added to the $181 bill for last month, so that will come down even lower pretty fast.
I probably didn't save $5 an hour building it, but it'll pay or it's self.
I can't see me building the splitter though. I did to start with, but I was looking at the $2,499 price tag on the largest one. But this one will out do a 22 ton unit????
I wanted to build a 22 ton hydraulic splitter that doesn't split the wood anywhere as close to as fast and that would have cost me as much as the DR will.
So what can I say, except, if you want a new splitter, look at the DR units. They have what you need and they came down on the prices to what I thought I could sell them for and earn a fair profit. They are too good for me to think about competing with.
And another one bites the dust, LOL.
Dennis
Old 12-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Default I'm back on building the splitter again.

Hey Doc, I spent the better part of a hundred dollar bill buying a maul and a couple of wedges and it took me one afternoon to realize that this old body is way too disabled to split wood by hand. That was three days ago and I still hurt from it.
Well, I did a lot o thinking about it the last couple of days and this is what I came up with.
To start with, I have no idea what it would cost to buy a rack and pinion, as the DR wood splitter uses and I haven't been able to find any company that sells them so far either.
So I got to thinking about that and decided that I can use a ring and pinion out of a car rear end.
Well, that may have just changed. As I was typing this, a man from a company that I had called trying to find a rack and pinion finally called me back and gave me some names and a phone number of companies to call about rack & pinions that are off the shelf parts. The company that he works for only makes them as special order items and for large orders.
I'll check on that later but what I was saying was that I could use a ring and pinion from an automobile rear end with a lever welded to the ring gear to get the job done. I know that the ring gear will have to be preheated in an oven and it will have to be TIG welded but I can get that done for a few bucks. I could do it myself if I had a TIG welder.
Then the next problem was the flywheel.
Well, let's go back to the junk yard again. I figure that the flywheel from a straight drive automobile will weigh more than the 12.5 lbs. that DR's smallest flywheel weighs. They have them 12.5 lbs., 55 lbs., and 75 lbs., which is the largest flywheel and that splitter is supposed to out preform a 34 ton hydraulic splitter.
Now, while I was typing this I thought about something else. I could use a flywheel and a pressure plate together to to get the genetic energy and go ahead and have the clutch disc mounted to work as the clutch of the splitter.
I am getting a picture o it forming a bit better the more I think about it.
Well, I guess I'll have to keep thinking or a bit, LOL.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM

If I ever built a splitter it would be vertical only, on my tractor 3pt hitch, with a pto driven pump and separate oil reservoir.. Because my small tractor make plenty of pressure, but not enough oil volume to make a splitter run well... I know I can buy models like this, but would build my own just because I can..

The long arm, car spring splitter looks good for kindling, or like my application where I only use 6 10" wood for my Hobo stoves..

I have watched the video of the DR style splitter and am impressed.. I do wonder if they would get stuck ?? Also the major ware part seems it would be the shaft with the gear teeth between the fly wheels.. But that is replaceable and warrantied I'm sure..

Also.... For short length wood like I use, or any normal length wood, an electric splitter can be had for around $200..... Anyone with experience with one of these ??

Good luck..
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 PM

I have a task force 5 ton electric splitter a few years old (5).

It works for most logs that I split. Always starts up no fumes. Yes limited to the range of the extension cord but that is near where I stack it anyway.

Split most of my green sycamore with no issues until it got to the really huge hard to lift anyway stuff.

Last edited by Bones; 12-19-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 PM

Fabman....

Forgot to mention.... For the leaks in your boiler...
As long as it is under none/minimal internal pressure...

For about every 50 gallon of complete system capacity, throw in 1/2 to 1 cup of oatmeal.... Warm it up, circulate the system for a couple hours... It will seal up any leaks and circulate with the water or settle to the bottom and not cause any problems..

An old trick from back in the cast iron radiator heating days..

Good luck..
Old 12-19-2015, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the idea Wyobuckaroo, but I think I got her sealed up on a similar idea. I thought back to when the cars used to have leaks in the heater coils all the time, (or at least I had several that did, LOL) but I dumped a whole can o black pepper into it and she has all but stopped the leaking. It finds the hole and then swells up and seals it tight for a good while. Just hope it doesn't take the pump out!
And I am like you are with the splitter, when I build one, it will surely be a horizontal type. I don't pay it a lot attention when I am working, until the next day, or at least later in the day, but my back says for me not to pick up but a few lbs., LOL.
I have also watched all the videos I can find on the DR splitter and wonder about the wear aspect also.
I can't see what type of drive link they have on it but I did see one that showed the rack gear being raised down on the spur gear, (or the opposite) and then be engaged before it began moving, so there is some type o clutch system they use when the controller moves the second lever.
I am seriously thinking now, about how to use a rear end from an automobile for the gear system with a lever welded onto the ring gear to power a rod or the ram, and then maybe two or three automobile straight drive type flywheels welded together with a pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing and the front shaft from a straight drive transmission or the drive gearing.
I'd have to draw a set o plans to explain my thoughts but I am pretty sure it will work.
I am just running it through my mind or awhile before I get started.
Right now I am just taking a short break. I spent all my spare time building that boiler, but the $181.10 utility bill or last month was sure nice compared to last years for November, which was something over $600. But I still have to get the hot water heater hooked up and build a clothes dryer so that will be smaller next year this time. I have to hope so anyway. Now I am wondering just how long this ire box will last me, being made rom an old tank and all.
I just don't know which way to turn now. Too many dreams and not enough get up and go. It'll get better, but I hope it doesn't take until the sap rises again. Spring is a long time off.
Ya'll have a good night, I am going to check the boiler and hit the sack.
Dennis
Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 PM

The Dr splitter site has manual for them maybe they have a breakdown there.

A super splitter is similar. http://www.supersplit.com/operation/index.html
http://www.supersplit.com/partsdiagram/

http://www.drpower.com/pages/content...plitters#parts

https://www.google.com/search?q=DR+R...ih=626#imgrc=_

Last edited by Bones; 12-19-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Here is one made with an electric motor, you most likely will need Facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/thewoodwork...90711/?fref=nf
Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Here is one made with an electric motor, you most likely will need Facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/thewoodwork...90711/?fref=nf
If anyone interested it's using a jack pump gear box. Now if I was living in oil country I'd be looking for a used one.

But for you purest that like an ax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oRe39_6TI

QGM
Old 12-26-2015, 10:42 PM

Here is a splitter that I bet cost a whole bunch less than any of those ..

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...Sjsli8N4HOM%3A

I am near 71 ( not bragging just saying) and I cut , split. Load in a trailer, unload and stack about. 7-9 cords each year. Have to admit I stopped short this year as the November and December temps are so high. If I need more I'll go cut it.

Secret is to not try to use it like an axe. Drop to ground. Pick it up. Swing down on wood. You learn as you go . Try it -- not bad - maybe not fun- but good and a heck of a lot healthier for you. And like I said a lot cheaper .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-26-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Here is a splitter that I bet cost a whole bunch less than any of those ..

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...Sjsli8N4HOM%3A

I am near 71 ( not bragging just saying) and I cut , split. Load in a trailer, unload and stack about. 7-9 cords each year. Have to admit I stopped short this year as the November and December temps are so high. If I need more I'll go cut it.

Secret is to not try to use it like an axe. Drop to ground. Pick it up. Swing down on wood. You learn as you go . Try it -- not bad - maybe not fun- but good and a heck of a lot healthier for you. And like I said a lot cheaper .
My Dad had one of those, even back in my Navy in shape days I preferred to use wedges and a sledge hammer to that thing. I used it as that is all he had but my body felt it that night. That beech wood just smiled at it. No wonder my dad waited until I came home for wood splitting.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
My Dad had one of those, even back in my Navy in shape days I preferred to use wedges and a sledge hammer to that thing. I used it as that is all he had but my body felt it that night. That beech wood just smiled at it. No wonder my dad waited until I came home for wood splitting.

Like I mention- secret is not to try to swing like an axe if regular mail. Let it do the work. I figure as long as j can do it, I am saving that much money.
Central missouri is oak and hickory land. In fact I can not remember cutting anything except oak and hickory. Lots of good post oak ( white oak) good straight grain and easy to split. Most are no bigger that 12 inches maybe a few up to 18. I don't cut em very long. To heavy to load the stove even though it takes 24 " lengths. Hickory is a little tougher. When I cut it I turn the bolts up and let em sit a week or so. sonetimed j still ucse a wedge . I got one of them three sides wedges. It is hands down better that regular ones. Another thing I do is always split the way the tree grows.

I got a few good pieces of various lengths of both hickory and oak inside/ debarked . Will use them for various purposes next year. I have a couple of small splitting mauls ( 6 and 8#'s ) that need new handles. I am also going to make a new frame saw. I got a 18" , 1&1/2 wide 14 ppi blade to do something with.

I would dearly love to make a big Roubo type frame saw for resawing boards but the blades are so expensive( 36" long X 1&1/2 or 2 wide with 5 or 6 points).

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-26-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:56 PM

MFree, I just turned 61 and like an idiot I still smoke, but this here body has the miles of an 80 year old body on it. I was 21 when I joined the Army and at the time I hated to be around anyone that smoked but it didn't take the Army a year to have me smoking like a freight train.
Anyway, I watched several of the video's of them splitting wood and I'd be lucky to get the first piece any of them were splitting, split up before I would be headed to the house for a long break, LOL.
I have to either buy or build me a wood splitter of some sort.
There is always a few hydraulic splitters for sale around here but they want nearly as much for a used one as a new one cost.
Anyway, thanks to the boiler bringing them $600 plus utility bills down to well under two bills, I have enough put back to get on a kinetic energy splitter and that was what I started to say on here.
However, I spoke to a friend a couple of weeks ago about building a large steel frame for some tanks, plumbing, gauges, electric supply boxes etc. to mount on and after I got started typing here, here he came with the load of still for me to get started on that so I guess I'll start that in the morning. I'm not going to m,ake anything on it to speak of but he helps me out any time I need him so I hate to say no.
That will set the splitter back another couple of weeks.
Then again, maybe after I finish this I'll just buy a splitter.
Well I'll just wait and see.
Dennis

Last edited by Fabman; 01-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:39 AM

When they said " light em if you got em" at ft Leonard wood basic training in JAn 1966- I learned to smoke and do so for the next 30 years.