BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Default Water heater

What's up everybody? I'm new here and wanted to get some opinions if possible. I'm considering replacing my water heater and I'm not sure if i should go with a tank or tanklesss, and electric or gas.... Any insight?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

during a remodel/addition about a year-15 months ago, I replaced an older electric tank type with a propane tank-less (rheem from HD) it is the type that mounts on an outside wall so no venting needed, and it works great. Longest run (kitchen) takes maybe 10 seconds for hot water--shortest is almost instantaneous. Manufacture claims it is freeze proof down to -31. Never gets that cold around here. I did box in and insulate all the plumbing coming out of the bottom of the unit though. Instructions were very easy to follow, and I did the entire installation myself in a few hours.

also replaces a window unit with those mini split/duck-less ac/heatpumps at the same time---they are really nice also.

JVC
Old 12-14-2015, 08:21 PM

MNI have a Bosch tankless propane and it works great - now. The installers got the exhaust and Intake to close and I had a freeze up of coil. Manufacturer and installer stood behind it , did it right and now great.
Why keep reheating that 50 gallons?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 PM

I have had a bosch gas tankless since Dec 2008. No issues with it. I had an electric before and even with it on a timer it paid for itself the first year in elec savings. Ours takes no power or batteries turning the water on causes the burner to fire off. It needs a off size vent pipe had no issue finding 5". Ours is in the attic to keep it from freezing I have a elec spotlight with an incandescent bulb. This is on a plug in thermostat (available at lowes for about $4. that kick on when the temp in the attic goes below 40 degrees. I did not chose the attic for a water heater but it is a popular spot for them in the midsouth.

Down side- water flow is low since the heat of the water is determined by the speed of the water going through the heating coil (new units may not have this issue) I just took all the water savers out of the shower heads and have no issue with pressure now.
Could be a freeze issue in unheated space. Buddy had his coil freeze in the attic think it was because his vent was not 5' above the exit of the roof as described in the instruction. We both live in the same area and I had no issue (this was before I put in the light to prevent freezing)
Only one person showers at a time. Larger units can handle multiple outlets at one time.
You never run of hot water. also a pro you never run out of hot water.

Pro-lower utility bill (unless you have teenagers who will take hour long showers)
You never run out of hot water.
Even in power outage we have hot water. Yes if you have a gas tank heater you do not either.

If this one needs replaced I would get another one.

Here is an old thread that discuss tankless with my savings from using one.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...read.php?t=868
Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 PM

I would recommend Gas over electric for on demand. Another friend had an electric one installed in a new home he was building. Never heated the water properly. His had three elements in it and one of them was always tripping its reset. He finally got a gas one and loves it.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 PM

I have used an eco tankless water heater (98 dollars) for 6 years, I mounted it next to the shower stall. It's cheep and works like a dream.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM

We just replaced out water heater. The old one started leaking the Friday before Christmas break and it was in the attic so the ceiling in the guest bathroom is ruined. Because the WH was in the attic we couldn't find anyone to work on it besides that, we'd have to dismantle part of the access to the attic just to get a new one up there. (New WHs are wider and wouldn't fit through the existing opening no matter what the size.)

We considered a tankless to deal with the size issue but our house is all electric. On top of the cost of new wiring (electric tankless takes LOTS of power), we were concerned the tiny tanks inside the tankless could freeze in the attic during extreme conditions. The only solution was to relocate the water heater - no matter what we chose - to another location. Fortunately, we have room in our laundry room which, in my opinion, is where the water heater should have been all along.

We ended up putting in a 50-gallon electric water heater. Our decision was based on (1) being able to find someone to do the work and (2) cost. To go with a propane tankless WH (the preferred choice) we would have had all the expenses we incurred with the 50-gallon electric WH (running new pipes plus material costs, including labor it was just under $2000) plus the cost and delay of installing a propane tank and filling it.

Putting in propane for the house is still in the plans but we couldn't swing it at Christmastime - not with property taxes looming in January which is when we get the least amount of cash flow, too.

In short, in the future this house will have two water heating systems - an electric tank (good for SHTF scenerios since I like having a reservior of water) and a propane tankless. Early tankless systems were ineffective and inefficent. The kinks have been worked out now and are the best option.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 PM

When I needed a water heater I looked at the tankless and asked the plumber.
They were still far to expensive and would never re-coop the cost difference.
Tankless required a separate vent and installation would be an additional expensive. I went with a very good tank model. So far I have seen no changes in this comparison.

Cost of tankless was $1200 PLUS installation. A well made tank was $400 , including installation because I could hook it up to the current vent. Over the life of the tankless , it would never re-coop the additional $800 +

Last edited by DavidOH; 01-04-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
When I needed a water heater I looked at the tankless and asked the plumber.
They were still far to expensive and would never re-coop the cost difference.
Tankless required a separate vent and installation would be an additional expensive. I went with a very good tank model. So far I have seen no changes in this comparison.
My personal experience,
Ours need a 5" vent vice a 4" vent. Hole size up through the roof was about the size as the 4" a gas water heater takes. Ours savings were $40 a month. Does not take long to recoup that money spent on it. Been installed since Dec 2008. Based on that we have saved $3,360. Enough to buy more than three tank-less heaters if we had to replace it today using $1K as a guide for pricing. Our first one was bought 10% above cost so only ran about $450. We also got a tax break that year for installing a energy efficient water heater.

Installation cost was my time to install it.

Last edited by Bones; 01-03-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM

can't remember how much my unit was, but not 1200. I was able to do the entire installation myself--not rocket science -- and the instruction that came with the unit were very clear and specific. This will be the 2nd winter, and since the manufacture claims freeze proof down to -31, don't expect that to ever be an issue here. (mine is ventless, and installed on an exterior wall) have insulated all the plumbing going into and out of the unit though.

As to savings, all I know is that since I ditched the electric tank, and the window A/C for duck less mini splits, and added a propane kitchen range along with the new water heater, my electric bill has gone from 100/month minimum to an average of 70.00 with a low in the 50.00 range, and I had the new (used) propane tank filled (80%) 16 months ago, and it is now down to 65%. Manageable utility costs IMO

JVC
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM

Mine is not freeze proof at all. My friend that installed one similar has his freeze up one winter. Our water heaters are in the attic. I will never know why they installed them in the attic around here. But they do. No leak issues when it thawed. I have no issues with freeze up but after his froze up I took precaution and have a light under the unit with a 60 watt bulb in it. Plug is on a therm plug that kick on the light at 40 degrees. That produce enough heat under the unit up through the burn area to keep it from freezing.

Ours have no power required to run them and no pilot light.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 PM

MGas tankless have two air passages to exterior of house/ one for exhaust and for fresh combustion. Installation is very precise on location/separation of these . Not doing so will definitely result in freeze up of the coils - from experience. Installer and manufacturer stood behind product and work.

Mine requires electric for controls and ignition.
The other thing many owners forget about is the periodic maintenance required to keep coils clean from mineral build up ( of course most never do that for tank heaters either)Mine is installed with quick connect pex fitting and appropriate shut off valves to make that easy.

It is not just savings of not keeping the water in tank hot. One must remember the only time you get the set temperature of water out of a tank heater is at the moment of turn on. After that cold water is coming into the tank and mixing with the hot water already there and cooling it down this requiring more heat.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-05-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:07 AM

Since we recently priced all our options - tank vs tankless, electric vs gas - I can assure you the cost of a great gas tankless is WAY DOWN and the cost of a tank water heater is WAY UP. Thank the federal givernment and all their environmental regulations with tougher ones that took effect the beginning of 2015. Tank water heaters have also gotten much bigger due to these regulations because the tanks have to have more insulation around them.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:16 AM

Another good reason to go tankless. Those new regs do not apply to tankless since they are already more efficient and require no insulation to keep water warm.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Master Pontificator

We installed the Takagi Jr a propane tankless.It does require a small amount of electricity to run the igniter but it is not a big pull on our battery bank. We paid around 500.00 for it. we installed it ourselves. .Install was fairly easy. It produces plenty of hot water..be careful. .water gets really hot. We are very happy with it and recommend it.