BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default whisky instead of antibodiacs

anyone have any personal experience or knowledge with the use of alcohol to treat/cure bacterial infections when antibodiacs are not available or helping
Old 12-21-2015, 06:35 AM

You could use it as a topical antibacterial (although rubbing alcohol would probably be as effective, but cheaper). You couldn't achieve a high enough systemic concentration to have any significant effect without dying of alcohol poisoning.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Other options are out there.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index...ion-dates.html
Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Whisky damages healthy cells. Honey, on the other hand, does not and it kills bacteria. (The bees top the honey with a mix of preservatives before they cap the full honey cell)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:15 AM

Topically?

Whiskey is a horrid antiseptic; too much sugar. Isopropyl alcohol is better but the reason it works is because it cauterizes the tissue which still isn't great. Hydrogen peroxide oxygenates the wound and does wonders at preventing bacterial growth (hence, infection). In a pinch, if I literally had nothing else, I'd use chlorine bleach but - ugh! - really hard on the tissues. You might end up with a serious chemical burn on top of your injury. Tea tree oil (melaluca) is a well known essential oil topical antibiotic. It is useful for lots of skin conditions and can even treat fleas on your pets.

Internal bacterial infections? There are essential oils that help - garlic, oregano and clove come to mind. Clove oil is a common treatment for oral infections, for instance (applied topically to the bothersome tooth/teeth). Garlic oil drops are wonderful for ear infections. Chicken soup has truly been proven to help with generalized systemic bacterial infections - help, not cure - probably due to the liberal use of herbs and salt. Cranberry juice is supposed to be good for kidney infections but look for a low-sugar version or take cranberry extract.

Vitamin C has failed to be an antibacterial or antiviral (common cold) in studies but orange / lime / lemon essential oils are well known for their topical antibacterial / antiseptic properties.

There are other essential oils that have been studied with some success and they are often used in combinations to support immune systems and develop good bacteria to force out the bad bacteria.

Lastly, there is our own immune system. We fight off bacterial infections all the time without resorting to pharmaceutical antibiotics. A low sugar / low carb diet helps. Lots of vegetables, especially leafy greens, and herbs, minerals and vitamin supplements help.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:52 AM

Surely hope there are other options out there available if said situation is a fact, besides Whiskey.

Hate to waste some good Irish or Bourbon.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Wiskey would be better than nothing, the alcohaul will kill surface bacteria and it will work as a disinfectant on cuts and for instruments, however i would not expect to see it used as a practical option except in the late 1800s or in some shtf situation. isopropel alcohaul is better and cheaper, honey is better still, i have doubts about hydrogen peroxide since i read that it doesn't do much of anything. iodine and clorine would work as a kill all nuclear option to surface wounds (causes tissue damage too, but will kill off bacteria to knock back a surface infection and let the bodies natural desnses regroup).

its more of an antiquated and inferior method, but will work if better options are not available.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:22 PM

thank you all for the replies .

have had to use the fish antibodiacs, those worked well.

recently some friends recounted being diagnosed with montezoomas revenge, in mexico & treating it with blackberry brandy insted of expensive pills.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Everybody's fantasies were very interesting to read. Now here's the science:

Alcohol (rubbing or drinking) will inhibit bacterial growth if it is allowed to come in contact with the bacteria for a long enough period of time. Washing a wound with it isn't long enough. Just rinsing a wound with drinking water does just as much good. The trick is to limit the size of the initial innocculum of bacteria to give your own immune system a smaller load to deal with. (Drinking alcohol actually inhibits the immune system.)

While a prolonged, high concentrations of O2 will kill many bacteria, peroxide doesn't provide the levels needed. Using it is just another way of washing. And stored peroxide loses its potency pretty quickly.

Herbs and spices produce chemicals whose purpose in nature is to inhibit bacteria and molds, protecting the plant from infection, but they would need to be purified and concentrated to achieve a high enough blood level to be effective in treating an infection. Penicillin, after all, is a product of bread mold, but you'd die of diabetes trying to eat enough moldy bread to cure your pneumonia. It's one thing for a 3gm leaf to manufacture an effective dose of chemical for itself, but another to get a good concentration in a 75 kg human with a well functioning liver.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Default what are you talking about ?

who´s ¨fantasies¨ are you talking about ?

does you reading someones ¨fantasies¨ have ANYTHING to do with the topic here ?

im wondering why you post here claiming that you have been reading someones fantasies and that you think its interesting. . . . ?
Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 AM

Honey has been proven and has been prescribed for my son, fish antibiotics are antibiotics still, and while peroxide will not kill bacteria I have heard that the foaming action helps to clean the wound better than water, but I am unsure of the quality of the source for the last.

"Fantasy" might not be accurate.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Honey has been proven and has been prescribed for my son, fish antibiotics are antibiotics still, and while peroxide will not kill bacteria I have heard that the foaming action helps to clean the wound better than water, but I am unsure of the quality of the source for the last.

"Fantasy" might not be accurate.
I agree. Having 5 teenage and older girls, I have far too much experience with piercings. That bottle of "sterile" water they make you buy at the earring store gets thrown away immediately because it doesn't clean a darn thing! Rubbing alcohol dries out the skin so we don't use that every single time to clean the piercing. Hydrogen peroxide does the trick! That and we insist on titanium posts now; if not available, stainless steel. Doctors are being told that hydrogen peroxide doesn't work and isn't recommended. My personal experience with it is fewer infections, resolves infections if they set in, and no or less scaring for wound care.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 AM

Not to make fun of any ones opinion, but almost every western I have read from the town library they have used whiskey to cleanse wounds... But then in the old west and all across early America that is about the only product they had readily available.. As good or bad as it may have been..

I'm sure all the products mentioned are not necessarily the best available by the medical standards of today... But the best product for the particular wound may not be available to the person on the scene at the moment..

Now.. If there is no or little chance of encountering anyone who CAN get the very best product for the particular wound... I guess... Do what you can with what you got if no other course of action is available... Doing nothing is likely to allow the worst outcome to happen...

My 2 cents on that...
==
Now.. I can't help but ask.. For those with medical skills/knowledge, what WOULD you use of the common products mentioned, IF they were all that was available and there would be an extended time before better treatment..???...

In fact.. I think I'll start a thread..
Curious...
Old 12-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Wyo, I responded to your other thread. Peroxide DOES kill some bacteria (mostly anaerobes and strep), and alcohols in the neighborhood of 60% to 70% work, too, so if you want to use whiskey, use 120-140 proof if you can get it. Stronger and weaker concentrations don't work as well. It is most useful for cleaning an area BEFORE you lance it or incise it, as alcohol and stronger tinctures do cause tissue damage, and dead tissue is a great place for infection to grow. Peroxide also has a physical action that can act to cleanse a wound, especially a deep wound (which should always be addressed by a pro if available. When we ran sled dogs, they were always getting injured in one way or another, and abscesses were common. We discovered that incising the abscess, then irrigating the cavity with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and betadine always cleared the infection without using antibiotics, I supposed large wounds treated with peroxide could create an embolism, but that never occurred with our dogs or other livestock.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 PM

in an MSHA class a few months ago, they say that peroxide dosnt do anything but damage tissue, dont use it, no point.

peroxide is not an alcohol. nor an antibodiac

researching this reminds me how rough life was in the 1800´s, if you got sick there wusnt much to help.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 AM

I used it for years and it always worked fine. Some of the blogs equate peroxide with alcohol--different animals altogether. I don't believe that peroxide is any worse than water as far as tissue damage is concerned, but it definitely makes it tough for Clostridium bacteria to thrive (the type of organism responsible for tetanus and gangrene). I only occasionally used it on humans, but used it (the blend) extensively on animals with no adverse effects at all--only positive outcomes. The bubbling is due to peroxidase from (I believe) tissue that is already damaged and from lymph drainage into the wounds. It always worked for me, and , although I am pretty much out of the animal business, I would continue to use it if the need arose.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Master Pontificator

as doc said hydrogen peroxide isn't anything more effective than plain water, the bubbling effect is essentially a chemical reaction like a baking soda volcano at a childrens science faire. the hydrogen peroxide is reacting with blood in a wound to create that effect, but it doesn't actually kill anything.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
anyone have any personal experience or knowledge with the use of alcohol to treat/cure bacterial infections when antibodiacs are not available or helping
We use Tea Tree Oil and have had good results with it. We've also seen good results with Echinacea. A Garlic compress might help (eating plenty of garlic can reduce infections and reduce visitors at the same time

We've used Golden Seal and Oregon Grape but I can't remember how well they helped the malady they were being used for.

I know Cayenne pepper works.

Colloidal silver actually works (don't ingest it!) I used a prescription paste with the stuff in it and was amazed at how quick my road rash healed.

I've heard that Honey has antibiotic properties and there's one brand, from New Zealand or someplace, that has a higher concentration of the antibiotic.

Here's a link to some other antibiotic herbs.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:23 PM

i can say that HONEY does in fact work. usto put it in the tea, then started putting several ounces in hot water [not boiling} the gut pains, cramps & other issues stop within a few minutes. lasts all day, one more cup before bed in the evening, or when the problems start comming back.

i think that suger is like AIDS, it stops your body from working right, no immune system, bad things come in and take over.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:31 AM

Doc - Thanks for the information. Always have to love science.