BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Xmas Pistol for the Wife

Thinking S&W Model 627. Can let her get comfortable with the .38 special rounds, then slowly load up from there.

She was qualified with the Beretta M9 in the service, but she has a bit of arthritis in the hands, and racking slides with a semi and isn't real comfortable with that pistol anymore. Plus, she just isn't a natural with firearms.

Was looking at The Judge as well.

Thoughts?

p.s. If I get the 627, would be a good excuse to get a matching caliber lever action, but that's the selfish aspect.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:40 AM

I like the way you think. I went the same route with a Ruger GP100 in .357. It's actually my favorite gun to shoot . . . uh . . . she lets me shoot it sometimes.

I like the carbine idea. I have one for my 40sw rounds but hadn't thought about getting one for "her" gun. Hmmmm

Here's a .357 carbine vs 30 30. I'd say it's a pretty reasonable idea.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:56 PM

Talking Easy on the hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Thinking S&W Model 627. Can let her get comfortable with the .38 special rounds, then slowly load up from there.

She was qualified with the Beretta M9 in the service, but she has a bit of arthritis in the hands, and racking slides with a semi and isn't real comfortable with that pistol anymore. Plus, she just isn't a natural with firearms.

Was looking at The Judge as well.

Thoughts?

p.s. If I get the 627, would be a good excuse to get a matching caliber lever action, but that's the selfish aspect.
I picked up a Walther CCP 9mm reduced blow back and recoil. It has a gas piston under the barrel. She shoots real nice. Also have a SW MP Shield 380 really light at 12oz empty it is a true pocket pistol and easy on the hands. I've had carpal tunnel, 2 trigger thumb operations and arthritis in my thumb and forefinger. These were, are easy to handle.
I also picked up a SW MP in 9mm to try out but it's for sale since I settled on the latter two.

I've always been a revolver kind of fella. Since moving GA the revolvers are to large to carry that is why I opted for pistols.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I like the way you think. I went the same route with a Ruger GP100 in .357. It's actually my favorite gun to shoot . . . uh . . . she lets me shoot it sometimes.

I like the carbine idea. I have one for my 40sw rounds but hadn't thought about getting one for "her" gun. Hmmmm

Thanks for the personal feedback on the Ruger. Looks like it's a lot lower cost than the S&W as well.

Thanks for the link as well, interesting read!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
I picked up a Walther CCP 9mm reduced blow back and recoil. It has a gas piston under the barrel. She shoots real nice. Also have a SW MP Shield 380 really light at 12oz empty it is a true pocket pistol and easy on the hands. I've had carpal tunnel, 2 trigger thumb operations and arthritis in my thumb and forefinger. These were, are easy to handle.
I also picked up a SW MP in 9mm to try out but it's for sale since I settled on the latter two.

I've always been a revolver kind of fella. Since moving GA the revolvers are to large to carry that is why I opted for pistols.
Thanks for the feedback on semi's with lighter racking systems, especially since you reference your carpal tunnel.

Most of the semi's in my household are 45's, with one stray Glock 9mm.

I thought the Glock 9mm might have been easier for her, but in reality it didn't seem to be. Plus, she was just plain awkward in handling it. I'm sure that can be improved with range time.

We'll take a look at some of the models you referenced.

'ppreciate it!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM

I just bought my DW a S&W SD9VE . She tried the action, trigger pull and weight, fit - all fine. Then put a green laser on it. Got it for good price $310.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-21-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I got. That Marlin 1894 cowboy in 357 and it's a marvelous gun. My companion is the ruger vaquero. Love 'em
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 PM

Personally I think you should take her to the gun shop and have her decide for herself which gun best suits her.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post

This is quite timely for me as I have had the urge to get myself a 9mm semi-auto. I really liked the S&W M&P9 I handled at the shop - felt just right in my hands.

But I have a problem - that being with my RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis). The first semi-auto pistol I every tried was last year (mostly a rifle guy) was a Ruger SR22. Well after shooting 2 clips through it both my wrists were totally immobilized for 3 days afterward (plus painful!). From some suggestions I ended up trading the SR22 in and got a 22/45 which is like night and day - I can shoot this one fairly comfortably.

I had a lengthy conversation on a forum I regularly visit trying to find a viable solution for me but there just doesn't seem to be one for a larger caliber handgun (> .22).

Now when reading your post I looked up the Walther CCP with their "softcoil" feature - now this looks like something that may work for me. I refuse to guy a gun and not be able to practice with it extensively. If it hurts me to shoot it it is worthless in my eyes.

The biggest hurdle I have is not having the ability to try any of these handguns myself - all I have to go by are watching videos and concentrating on what the recoil and muzzle lift look like.

I'll have to handle one the next time I go to town.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
Personally I think you should take her to the gun shop and have her decide for herself which gun best suits her.
Right on - and I'm in 100% agreement. The feedback from this thread will provide the models that we will request the shop to lineup.

Heck, might even purchase 2.

Usually, I know exactly what pistol I want, and it's slap this 1911 version on the counter, run it though it's courses, then file the paperwork. So, I'm really looking forward to her comparing the models.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I just bought my DW a S&W SD9VE . She tried the action, trigger pull and weight, fit - all fine. Then put a green laser on it. Got it for good price $310.
On the list! Thanks.

I have a SW MP&45 that I carry if I know I'm going to be out in the field. I have been very satisfied with it's performance - although I am not particularly fond of the trigger, and I shoot larger groups with it. With that said, it's never failed me in any way.

Looks like the platform for the shield lineup is very similar.

It will be interesting to see how she likes that model.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'm in complete agreement with this. A couple of years ago hubby started talking about buying a gun for me and I got p!ssed. There is no way he could pick out a revolver I'd like (he wasn't even thinking revolvers - ugh!) or one that fits my hand. A gun is a very personal purchase and I want to do the comparison shopping and pick it out myself.

A great gift would be to give her a range session at a place that also sells. When she thrills at one particular gun, include it in the gift.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Right on - and I'm in 100% agreement. The feedback from this thread will provide the models that we will request the shop to lineup.

Heck, might even purchase 2.

Usually, I know exactly what pistol I want, and it's slap this 1911 version on the counter, run it though it's courses, then file the paperwork. So, I'm really looking forward to her comparing the models.
Is there a range where you can rent pistols so she can try them out real world? It's clear your wife isn't a stranger to firearms, but women and men clearly have different ideas about what is suitable and functions.
Regarding racking the slide. An easy trick is to hold the slide with your weak side and push the frame forward with your strong side, which will rack/clear the firearm normally. Not saying a wheel gun won't suit her perfectly, but they do require different disciplines then a semi and vise versa.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 PM

Ok few guns I've not seen brought up.

1)Walther PK380, I know those with arthritis in there hands find the slide easy to manipulate as well as mag release easy too. Unlike most pistols on the market it's a locked breech design instead of gas operated blowback. The first shot, the trigger is a 10 pound pull with follow up shots 5 to 4 pounds. You got 9 shots 8 in the magazine one in the pipe. It has no slide release so you got to draw the slide back then drop the magazine, which I hated. It has lower velocities from a longer barrel which is perplexing to me but it's negligible at best. The safety is typical European on the rear of the slide. There's one other draw back it's got no decocker....I know lunacy! To decode you need to put the safety on and pull the trigger to drop the hammer...recipe to shoot someone or yourself in my book.

2) the 5-7. The thought I have is riding the slide with off hand or limping the wrist you can have problems, the biggest draw back, ammo is expensive and hard to find, 3k rounds run 1800 smakeroos. My brother has one, it's super light, it's wide, don't like the safety placement either. It could be a great gun if they tweaked the design a little and that ammo wasn't like finding a tanzanite gemstone in your box of count chocula or finding something other then nails at a nail factory.

3) firestorm 380. I've heard they are easy to operate and a soft recoil and just like a bersa thunder. Not much experience with either, just words on a grape vine.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the additional suggestions and feedback.

My not have the opportunity to rent the firearms at the shop that I'm going to, but I agree it is a good idea if possible.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Agree with the advice to go to a rental range and try things.. Even if it means taking a day or two, and a rod trip to do that..

If I could afford something like this... My personal choice would be a double action 6 shot in 357 mag.. That way you can use powder puff 38 special loads.. Remember the old 38 special target, wad cutter loads of olden days..
Also capable of taking full power 357 mag.. More than suitable for black bear protection..

Look for PM

Good luck..
Old 12-23-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Is there a range where you can rent pistols so she can try them out real world?
If you're near a city with multiple ranges you might be able to find a range with guns for rent. Around here, we have several which charge a cleaning fee for each weapon fired. There's one that charges a flat cleaning fee regardless of how many firearms are tried.

If you don't have any nearby then it sounds like an opportunity for a weekend date.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
If you're near a city with multiple ranges you might be able to find a range with guns for rent. Around here, we have several which charge a cleaning fee for each weapon fired. There's one that charges a flat cleaning fee regardless of how many firearms are tried.

If you don't have any nearby then it sounds like an opportunity for a weekend date.
No weekend date required, darn it all. Have to find another excuse for that.

Wyo gave me a heads up on a shop\indoor range company that has three locations. I completely forgot about that.

So took my friend there for a surprise range day, and guess what? They have Ladies Night every Wednesday, reduced rental rates to $5, + trainers on site without a charge. Normal rate is $15.

Range was nice, no crazies.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Must be nice to have a range nearby. Not that I need one to shoot at - I shoot from my deck whenever I want - but for the possibility of a rental or someone to share a handgun with me for a couple shots. I am having such a hard time choosing a new handgun as I have a very hard time with recoil due to my RA.

You just can't tell how a handgun is going to feel by internet research.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM

I just kind of realized that I never replied with what finally happened here. My Wife's birthday is coming up, so I kind of remembered this thread, heh.

Ended up getting a Performance Center S&W Model 60 chambered for .357 mag.

This past year, The Wife has really enjoyed shooting this at the range. She shoots the .38 specials there, and can plink for quite a long time without bother. She's not a fan of the .357 Mag, so more often than not it is loaded with the +P.

I also absolutely love this firearm too, it just settles right in when handling it.

We did end up spending some time at a local gun shop, checking a wide variety of pistols out. This piece almost immediately jumped out and had her saying "ooohhhhh"