BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The J Frame S&W's were always the most popular handguns for most of the women buying their own guns

If you get a set of Michael's, Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips that cover the back of the frame, it will make heavy loads much more pleasant.

https://www.midwayusa.com/j-frame/br?cid=13252

This is what I have on my J Frame Model 042:

Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
The J Frame S&W's were always the most popular handguns for most of the women buying their own guns

If you get a set of Michael's, Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips that cover the back of the frame, it will make heavy loads much more pleasant.

https://www.midwayusa.com/j-frame/br?cid=13252

This is what I have on my J Frame Model 042:

Thanks, will take a look at those.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Lot of helpful information here. I appreciate it. Thinking about getting serious about a Taurus Judge. Lot to like about it. We've got wild pigs, mountain lions and poisonous snakes here now and while the judge might not be the best for any one of these, it is the only thing I would actually carry around, that might get me out of a jam with any of them so long as I keep my cool.

I've done some research, I like the 3 inch cylinder and 6 inch barrel. Looks like alternating .410 buckshot loads with .45 long colt rounds would be about right. It weighs in at two pounds, not a lot different than the government 45 I've been dragging around.

I like that it can share ammo with my .410, make reloading simpler. Hubby Brian is interested in a couple things that use the 45 colt rounds, so he would have a fine excuse to buy one of those!

Anybody got one or shot one? Do you like it? Pros / cons?

I'm interested in gloves to help with recoil too, if anyone has used them? Kind of like ear plugs, I know I won't have the on if I ever need to use it but why do any more damage than necessary?

Might be time to take a field trip to Knob Creek shooting range. I've always wanted to shoot some of the really big guns!

Great suggestions in this thread, sorry to hijack it Kachad. Glad your wife found something she likes. Bonus to have a new hobby to share

Last edited by rj5156; 02-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj5156 View Post
Great suggestions in this thread, sorry to hijack it Kachad. Glad your wife found something she likes. Bonus to have a new hobby to share
No worries about hijacking. I enjoy *mostly* any conversations that these threads bring about. That is why we are here, no?

Quote:
We've got wild pigs, mountain lions and poisonous snakes here now and while the judge might not be the best for any one of these, it is the only thing I would actually carry around, that might get me out of a jam with any of them so long as I keep my cool.
I'm not an expert regarding defending against pigs, lions, or snakes. Up here, we pretty much have Bear, Coyote, Wolf, and Mosquitos. Never had a problem with any of those, except for the Mosquitos.

Quote:
I've done some research, I like the 3 inch cylinder and 6 inch barrel. Looks like alternating .410 buckshot loads with .45 long colt rounds would be about right. It weighs in at two pounds, not a lot different than the government 45 I've been dragging around.

I like that it can share ammo with my .410, make reloading simpler. Hubby Brian is interested in a couple things that use the 45 colt rounds, so he would have a fine excuse to buy one of those!

Anybody got one or shot one? Do you like it? Pros / cons?
I have shot both the 2.5" and 3" versions, with standard mixed defense rounds. If I was purchasing one, I would go with the 3". If we purchased one for The VIP, it would definitely have been the 2.5" with a shorter barrel.

One thing to note, is that the Judge is a pretty cumbersome handgun. Regarding ergonomics, just wasn't comfortable in my grip.

Another thing to note too, when carrying the Judge versus a standard 1911 is the width (not including grips). The Judge is about 1.5" and a 1911 is about 1". Can make a big difference, depending on how you carry.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Here are some test results on the Judge:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...e-box-o-truth/

I'd shoot one first before you buy a glove.
I think you'll find it's comfortable to shoot without needing one.

Notice he couldn't find buckshot in a 2.5" shell and he resorted to cutting down some 3" shells.

His tests indicate shotgun shells simply don't have the power needed for reliable self-defense usage.

Quote:
Lessons learned:

Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

Itís fun to bust clays with this pistol
Personally I'd get a 357 or a normal 45 Colt revolver.
You can get shotshells that will work just as well for snakes, and still have the added advantage of good self defense loads in a better platform.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Here are some test results on the Judge:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...e-box-o-truth/

I'd shoot one first before you buy a glove.
I think you'll find it's comfortable to shoot without needing one.

Notice he couldn't find buckshot in a 2.5" shell and he resorted to cutting down some 3" shells.

His tests indicate shotgun shells simply don't have the power needed for reliable self-defense usage.

Personally I'd get a 357 or a normal 45 Colt revolver.
You can get shotshells that will work just as well for snakes, and still have the added advantage of good self defense loads in a better platform.
Thanks for that feedback, and the time you put into referencing details.

But - Buckshot is available in the .410 in 2.5" shells at Cabelas.

I also looked at the personal defense loads, like:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herte...10%26CQ_st%3Db

But I agree, .357 or 45 Colt is the way to go. Which is why we went with the Model 60.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Thanks Chad Lot of helpful information! I thank everyone, and will be referring back to it. Appreciate the time and effort behind your well-considered posts. I am just looking at this point and ya'll might change my mind?

We went to Bass Pro yesterday and I handled a couple models. They did not have any of the longer models. I do love the factory grip, nice fit for my hands.

Chatted with some folks who have a Taurus too. They sold me accidentally on the stainless steel model. I love stainless until I have to work it to build something!

We went to a couple other places too. I also asked the folks selling guns about the Taurus. Got mixed reviews. They said they send a lot of newly purchased Taurus guns back to the factory for alingment issues with the cylinder and barrel. Like it loses "timing". Ran some searches later and saw this is not unusual. They also said it can take some time to get these back from the factory, but they DO fix them. This might be a deal-breaker.

No one had the Smith and Wesson Governor, it will take the 410, 45 long colt and also 45 ACP, which is what Brian's 1911 uses, bonus! It is NOT available in longer models. It does take six rounds, where the Taurus holds five. More bullets is more better in my opinion.

I had read that the Taurus line was now available with a six inch barrel and we both really like that for the increase in accuracy over a longer range which is why I hadn't just started with the Smith and Wesson.

I really want to maximize functionality AND quality and it is looking like there are some trade-offs to consider. It IS a "niche" tool. We are already well covered for guns to do particular jobs but obvously there has not been much offered with the range of capabilities these have.

I might like to go with a little shorter barrel than the six inch? I am 50 and work hard to stay in good shape but diminishing returns are the rule over time. At 60 and 70 I still want to be comfortable to use it.

I do want a new one, whatever I end up going with. No telling what previous owners ran through a gun... Maybe that is not an issue, but I do not see ever buying another gun for my personal use and I would like to be the only owner.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 PM

I gave my daughter my S&W 637,
She likes it size wise but it's not fun for her to shoot a lot.
So this Christmas I gave her and my son's girlfriend a 2 day women only gun class.
They are there today.
I told my daughter I will buy her whatever she wants after she has a chance to shoot different guns and she can give me my Smith back.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Brian would kind of like his govt 45 back too backlash He sure is enthusiastic about me finding something I will carry. Since he shares so nicely I am looking for features he likes too. It is as much fun to share an interest as it is to look for what is really a new toy for us!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM

I am not thrilled with cylinder aligmnent issues I see mentioned in multiple places. Been doing some research. Here is what I found.

VERY good discussion of the topic here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...problem-or-not

And info about how to check out a revolver before purchase. I need to print this out and go through it with something we've got until I have it down:

https://thefiringline.com/Misc/libra...ver-check.html
Old 02-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Thanks for that feedback, and the time you put into referencing details.

But - Buckshot is available in the .410 in 2.5" shells at Cabelas.

I also looked at the personal defense loads, like:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herte...10%26CQ_st%3Db

But I agree, .357 or 45 Colt is the way to go. Which is why we went with the Model 60.
Just keep in mind in the tests the buckshot still didn't have enough penetration to be truly effective as a self defense load.

Even the slugs were under powered when fired through the short barrels.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am not thrilled with cylinder aligmnent issues I see mentioned in multiple places. Been doing some research. Here is what I found.

VERY good discussion of the topic here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...problem-or-not

And info about how to check out a revolver before purchase. I need to print this out and go through it with something we've got until I have it down:

https://thefiringline.com/Misc/libra...ver-check.html
Taurus quality has gone up and down over the years.

When I worked at the gunshop, we saw far more problems with Colt revolvers than we ever did with Taurus, but that was in the early to mid 90's.

I bought a Taurus 669-CP 357 that has never given me any problems, so my experience with them has been positive.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 PM

I have gotten a LOT of feedback from people I actually know or folks on forums who have owned one for years and never had a problem - and absolutely love their Taurus. I have yet to hear from a personal owner that we know, or on a forum, who had to send one back for repair.

I should probably say that I would use it as I do the government 45 - it's something to give me a little cover while I go get the REAL gun I keep tucked up safe and dry while I crawl around in the mud. Not that I have needed it to date. Which is good!

What is the length of the barrel on yours Bearfootfarms? Is that the 6 inch? Interesting about the quality going up and down. I have read they are assembled in Brazil and workers are paid per unit, so if there are lots of orders in it pays them to slop it together and do lots of them?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Master Pontificator

I purchased one of the 9 shot .22 stainless steel revolvers, a model 94 (not absolutely sure about the model number or date purchased) back about 2000 and I had to send it back to Taurus after the very first range session. It has never been shot since. I have absolutely no faith in its ability to work or function properly now, when it could not originally, directly from the factory. I would not recommend a Taurus period!

My gun smith tells me Taurus controls their supply of part so tightly he can not get any parts to work on their products. So sending them back to the factory for any and everything is virtually the only way to have them worked on or repaired.

Get some .45 ACP shot shells for the snakes for use in your Colt auto. If you want a long colt get a Ruger chamber for the LC cartridge. It will shoot LC ammo much more accurately than the Judge and will shoot the LC shot shells equally well.

Last edited by Jjr; 02-13-2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 AM

Thanks for sharing about your experience Jjr. I have read that about the Taurus parts too and that's a BIG minus. I am considering taking a gunsmithing course since I already have the equipment and owning something I couldn't work on myself would be a real insult to my life philosophy...
Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 AM

Comparing the Taurus Judge and the Magnum Research:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-research-bfr/

Specs on the Magnum Research:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/firear...nch-barrel.asp

The Magnum research weighs in at five pounds. I love the idea - but it's too much for me. It does come in some different cylinder and barrel lengths, all of them are big - and heavy. With the heavy frame and long barrel it can take the 45 ď+PĒ and "+P+" rounds, not just the standard ones.

It also comes with a removable choke tube, which isn't really a bonus for what I wanted, have to take it off to load alternating rounds anyhow and I'll just use my 410 if I only want to shoot a 410 round.

It deserves consideration in the comparison though. SOLID piece of work. Spendy too of course.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I have gotten a LOT of feedback from people I actually know or folks on forums who have owned one for years and never had a problem - and absolutely love their Taurus. I have yet to hear from a personal owner that we know, or on a forum, who had to send one back for repair.

I should probably say that I would use it as I do the government 45 - it's something to give me a little cover while I go get the REAL gun I keep tucked up safe and dry while I crawl around in the mud. Not that I have needed it to date. Which is good!

What is the length of the barrel on yours Bearfootfarms? Is that the 6 inch? Interesting about the quality going up and down. I have read they are assembled in Brazil and workers are paid per unit, so if there are lots of orders in it pays them to slop it together and do lots of them?
Yes, mine is the 6", which makes it legal here for deer hunting, although I haven't killed one with it. It's mostly just a toy.

When I specifically hunt with a revolver I tend to take my 44 Mag.

I haven't heard about the workers being paid piece work, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I just know it seems I've heard the complaints about quality come and go in cycles.

I'd still rather have a Taurus than a Colt if I intended to actually use it.

Quote:
it's something to give me a little cover while I go get the REAL gun I keep tucked up safe and dry while I crawl around in the mud.
LOL

I bought the Taurus largely to have a gun to carry while riding ATV's and that was still legal to use on a deer.

I didn't want to carry my Dan Wesson 44 if I was playing in the mud, and my Glock isn't legal for hunting.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Thanks for sharing about your experience Jjr. I have read that about the Taurus parts too and that's a BIG minus. I am considering taking a gunsmithing course since I already have the equipment and owning something I couldn't work on myself would be a real insult to my life philosophy...
Taurus makes some nice looking guns, and I thought the little 9 shot .22 would make the perfect light weight woods companion, but it was a dismal failure.

The old gent that lived across the street from me for many years rode motorcycles and as his health declined he purchased a tip barrel Taurus PT-22 (a copy of the Beretta tip barrel model) to have handy on his bike in case of trouble. It did not work well for him. He was all excited when he purchased the little PT-22, but a short time later, I was over at his house visiting with him one afternoon and the TP-22 was laying on a shelf in his den. I commented on having it handy in case of trouble and I got an "ear full," to say the least. He was not happy with the Taurus, and did not consider it dependable.

Then a good friend who does some contract work installing satellite disk systems in some unsavory areas of the larger city purchased one of the "slim series" Taurus guns and took his concealed carry class so he could have something more than his tools in case trouble came looking while he was doing the contract work. He did some range time before the class, but the morning of the class he needed a box of ammo, so he stopped and picked up a box or two of the Blazer Aluminum cased ammo. The Taurus failed miserably trying to extract the Aluminum cases. The CCC's instructor loaned him a Ruger LCP to use during the "live fire" exercise. Still using the Blazer Aluminum cased ammo in the Ruger, it function just fine, whereas his own Taurus had failed. On the way home from the CCC, he stopped at the gun shop where he had purchased the Taurus slim line pistol and traded it in on a Ruger LCP.

The neighbor purchased his PT-22 several years before I bought the 9 shot 22, and my purchases was probably 12-15 years prior to my friends very recent purchase of the slim line Taurus. Admittedly two reports are second hand information, to me; but they came from personal friends. That gives three examples of Taurus purchases from roughly three separate decades over the past thirty years where not a single product performed acceptable & satisfactorily. That is not a good record in my book, and I will never consider purchasing a Taurus again.

If you do not have any confidence in the product before the purchase, it is best to leave it alone, no matter how pretty the package or product looks.

To those who have had good luck with the Taurus brand, I am happy to hear of your success. There is nothing worse than spending good money to learn the product purchased is no good and absolutely worthless. Maybe undependable is a better word, but with a weapon, undependable and worthless are interchangeable, I believe most people will agree.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Default IMO the judge is to heavy for every day workcarry

If it is all you need for back packing it will work on all kinds of xritters. Hand loading a heavier bullet will increase stopping power on large critters.
A hornady SST style bullet in 200 gr is a really nice round.

Having shot a lot of 410 and long colts,

The quote from above I can not recommend.
Quote:
Lessons learned:

Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds. BPB-Not true #4 bird shot will take out a deer at close range IE under 40 yards. Maybe not a 410 load But I bet a 410 with 2's or 4's will take a big bird provided you put the sneak on him.

Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load. BPB-Really LOL yea getting hit with 4 large pellets will take the wind out of ones sails pretty quick. A load of birdshot to the face upper torso area will light em up too.

The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load. BPB-A 410 slug hits like a 357m at 50 yards.

The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

BPB_Yep I'll agree with that.

Itís fun to bust clays with this pistol

I load my LC Gaucho with cases with shot7.5 ,6's ,4's , round ball using cards. They would hurt you at 20 yards easy.

I have a video here

https://youtu.be/npTjiD0ua_I

I have more pictures someplace on the WWW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160812_125036.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160814_142726.jpg (11.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160812_125220.jpg (9.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM

Good Videos, BPP!