BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly Your experience with retailers, wholesalers, and others online and offline.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:57 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Thumbs up Champion Generator on Sale..

Earlier this fall, while they were on sale, I got a Champion 4000/3500 watt generator.. Listed as a RV model.. RV model means it only produces 120 volts, but it has 3 connections.. Regular standard plug in at 20 amp, and twist lock 120 volt at 25 amp, and a RV outlet at 120 volt 30 amp... It is a nice little generator runs all the hand power tools I tested it with.. I have started it a couple times now that it is cold out.. Starts easily, and with a minute warm up runs fine..

It has a Chinese copy of a 196 CC Honda ohv engine..
The only problem I had getting it going was with the crank case oil switch.. The switch shuts the engine down on a low oil condition.. I had to tip it up some on one side in order to over fill the crank case with about 4-5 ounces extra oil to float the little switch to make it run reliability with the switch plugged in.. It would run fine at a normal oil fill with the switch un plugged.. But that canceled other safety systems as well..

Also early this last fall when I changed the furnace air filters, (gas forced air system) I took the power cable off the furnace and put a drop cord end on that cable.. (female cord end)..... Then I took a male cord end and short length of romex wire and attached it to the furnace.. Essentially changing it from hard wired to a drop cord appliance.. Easy enough to do..

My intention for getting this was in case of a cold weather power outage.. I can run the furnace on a drop cord through the laundry room window.. Or the rare time I need a power tool farther than what cord lengths I have..

I got it on sale from the local farm supply store, with the handle and wheel kit for $310.. out the door..
--
PS... The farm store also had a $6 adapter from 120V 30A outlet to 120V 20A outlet...

I'm pleased... Thumbs up smiles...
Old 12-27-2015, 12:01 PM

After retiring we traveled alot and had a 2000 watt champion inverter generator. We used that little generator for four years running it every day for anywhere from 4 to 10 hours every day year round. Long story, but I sold it to a camper down on his luck couldn't find a champion dealer anywhere so decided to upgrade to a honda 2000 inverter generator. I have had it for two years now and while it is a decent generator ( I know everyone loves these hondas) My Champion started easier and delivered more power and used less fuel then this honda. We are now at our new homestead and as part of our preps we needed a back up generator for our well etc. The DW was on board and I could get any generator I wanted. I went down to Costco and picked up the 7000/9000 watt duel fuel Champion put fuel and oil in connected the battery pulled the choke and four or five cranks and she fired right up and purrs like a kitten. You did good.