BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Amana Faraday Cage

EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) Is very popular with doomsday novelists but I haven't gone overboard in planning for an incident. That doesn't mean I don't think it's possible, just that it hasn't been high on my list.

So, out of the blue, I realized that I may already have a pretty good Faraday Cage sitting in the kitchen.

A microwave oven is designed to produce and contain electromagnetic pulses of a sort so why wouldn't that work as a "cage." As a simple, non-scientific test, I placed my cell phone inside of ours to see what it would do to the reception. My phone dropped from "full bars" to only ONE bar as soon as I closed the door.

I know it's not perfect but a microwave oven can store several critical electronic items and they're easy to find in junk piles.

Surely, someone has had this idea before.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Yes, I've heard of that before. I have never tried it, but you should lose the signal on the phone in the microwave. It's designed to block most radio energy.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:48 PM

So who am I talking to on my cell phone after the EMP/solar flare is over?
Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 AM

Default microwave faraday cage

Yes, you are not the first person to think of a Microwave as a Faraday cage. However, if you phone still works (try calling it while it's inside) an EMP would still get to your electronics.

The best advise I've heard is: put an FM radio in your cage. Once it's closed the radio should only play static.

Some things I've found which work good:
1) ammo cans (the metal ones)
2) Fire proof safes. But use one with a physical key, since the electronic key pad would be fried with the EMP.
3) metal trash can with metal lid.
4) cardboard box, wrapped in aluminum foil.
5) metal filing cabinets

As for what to put into your Faraday cage, you'll have to think long and hard about. You need things which will work stand alone.
Things like:
Solar powered battery chargers (for your flashlights)
Two way radios
Short wave radio (you might be able to pick up news from long distance away)
Solar charge controllers. The experts believe solar panels will survive, but the charge controllers would get fried. So a spare charge controller would be very handy to have.
DC to A/C inverters.
Microwave oven
Spare capacitors and coils for your generators/chainsaws etc.

After an EMP - there will be no local radio, no electricity from the grid. And very likely, no automobiles, or anything which has a computer or capacitor.

It's actually one of my biggest fears, since it would truly be the "end of the world as we know it". It would set us back over 200 years. But 200 years ago, everyone had a horse (or more), and all houses had wood burning stoves for heat and for cooking. Not many people have either of those now.

I wish you well. I am glad you posted this, as I hope it will get others thinking.

Bear