BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Default Question about preserving canned vegatable juice

I have a huge lot of canned veggies that I don't want to lose to expiration.
So I have plans to dry all of them in my dehydrator, and I have been told that the juice is very nutrient valued so my question is how would I re-can it to keep it for future soups?

Then I guess I have another question on bacon bits, can I just put them in a mylar food storage bag with oxygen absorbors? will they keep for a long time this way?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

There is a web site, I would have to search a bunch to find..
That will tell you how much longer past the printed date many things are good for..

For instance... If something is "best by" or "use before" date that is different than "don't use after" date..

Could you "re-can" the whole contents of the can ??

Good luck..
Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 AM

Default Question about preserving canned vegatable juice

well for space as well as not using it I was told it would be a longer shelf life if I dried them, I guess I could but told green beans turn into mush, I have peas corn and don't know what they would do if you reprocess them, so that is why I decided to just dry everything. I just don't want to waste the juice out of them they say they are great for soups.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hi Carol. Welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert, but, in my meager experience, older stuff, as you say, gets mushy, even if it's not actually spoiled and gunna kill you.

How frugal do you need to be? If you're growing your own and have so much canned that you don't use it all, maybe it's not worth the effort to re-do old stuff, even if it's possible. Just do a fresh batch.

Give the old stuff to the hogs. They'll have it swallowed before they realize they didn't like it.

In regards re-canning: each time you heat the stuff up, you destroy a certain portion of the "nutrition." And the solids get that much mushier. (Is that a word?)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Let me point out that not only does a food's texture degrade every time it is reprocessed, but the nutritional value declines significantly as well. Canning already degrades nutritional value compared to fresh or frozen. Dehydrating canned produce will significantly (or obliterate) the nutritional value further. When it comes to easy and cheap to obtain vegetables like corn, peas and green beans, it simply isn't worth the energy.

Make a point to use up and eat what you have then not over-buy or over-produce in the future.