BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:09 AM

Default Gun Control in Australia, Watch and Weep

Google that on you tube and watch the video if you want to see what they are going through since loosing their gun rights.
Armed Robberies went up 69% since 1993.
Assaults with guns went up 28%.
Gun Murders went up 19%.
And Home Invasions has went up 21%.

I have stopped some bad crap from happening t the house I live in now and the last two houses I lived in once, t each residence because I had a pistol and I don't doubt that I'd have been hurt pretty bad on at least one of the situations. A car pulled into my drive way just off the road and four black men got out and started trying to break into a tire store next door to my property
I went out the front door and one of them yelled down to me to get back into the house before I got hurt and two of them started walking toward me and all I done was fired two blank rounds and you've never seen people move as fast in your life.
I always keep blanks in the first two chambers just for this case and it works every time, plus I still have seven more real rounds if I ever need them.
I can't see living in this world today without a gun close at hand.
I also seen a video where the British are raising heck about loosing their gun rights also.
Hope they can get them back but I doubt that will ever happen again.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
I always keep blanks in the first two chambers just for this case and it works every time, plus I still have seven more real rounds if I ever need them
That's not very smart, but it doesn't surprise me.

A 22 also is a poor choice as a defensive firearm
Old 01-15-2016, 12:25 AM

I have heard about those numbers. It happens every time. Less guns, more crime. I had chatted with someone down there just after that change. He confirmed the jump in crime.

A .22 is a nice thing to have when you don't have a gun.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:40 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

Agreed completely! With this upside down backwards world we live in this day & age, one must always be cautious against opening any legal recourse against themselves. There is no such thing as warning shots in this sue happy world. If you shoot, you better be on good solid legal ground, regardless of hitting anyone, or anything, or not.

I don't agree, that is the way it should be. But right is wrong, and wrong is right far to much of the time, to take any chances with personal liberties and finances.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Default Making noise

If you just want to Make Noise, to scare them away, the racking of a 12 gauge is a sound that they will recognize, and won't get you in as much legal trouble. Also the hit potential on a shot gun is much higher than with a hand gun if you ended up pulling the trigger.

It's too bad we have to put up with thugs like what you encountered. But you might have scared at least one of them straight.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 PM

Default SUPRISE

ĘGet back in the house before you get hurtĘ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSwpljtxlg

caution link contains the F word
Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Thank God for guns !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvO-8IvoCI

Agree with something bigger that 22. Mine is mossy 500. But no rack needed . One in the chamber. What's good is an unloaded gun. ?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 PM

A .22 sure beats a 9 iron or Granny's rolling pin, especially when the bad guy is coming at you with a large knife, etc.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

Everyone has their own choice of weapons and everyone has their own way of doing things.
I have played with .22 pistols since I was a kid. I have bought 7 Western Style Revolvers brand new and as each one wore out I put them up. I didn't sell them. they are still good pistols, but just not as accurate as they were before a few thousand round rounds went down the barrel.
Most of them are Rugar's and one of then that I have now has a chamber for Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles, and one for .22 Magnums.
Matter of fact, I think 5 of them have the magnum cylinder too. Whatever they have chambers for, they are all loaded with the highest powered bullet the pistol will take and they stay that way.
However, the pistol that I like now, is not a western style pistol. It is one that is small enough to fit in my back pocket and if need be, I can fire three rounds before anyone else could pull the trigger.
It holds 9 rounds and anyone with any brains at all, would never come at me if they knew that I had it on my body.
So, Bear foot, do you need me to send you a pair of shoes or what?
I will buy you a pair so maybe when your feet are warmer, you might be nicer.
Let me know.
Dennis
Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 AM

80 of every 100 people who are shot with the, 45 ACP round,9 x19 millimeter ground,44 Smith and Wesson Magnum round, survive being shot. To say nothing of all the people that are shot with the 380, 38 special, 357 magnum rounds. they live.

you will find several articles right here on the backwoods Home magazine forum praising the 22 rimfire round as a very deadly horribly destructive round on the human body.

Famous Shootist bill Jordan said that there have probably been more people killed with a .22 handgun than anything else, that was nearly 40 years ago he said that however, I personally don't believe everything he said. But he did have a lot of experience with gun fights , shootings, & shootouts.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
A .22 sure beats a 9 iron or Granny's rolling pin, especially when the bad guy is coming at you with a large knife, etc.
Thanks for the input Nick. But it isn't like the little .22 is the only thing I have here by a long shot. Bear foot runs off at the mouth before he ever knows what he is talking about.
I sleep with a Copy of a Browning 9 mm Hi-Power Semi-Automatic under my pillow.
The front yard and my home are two different places. The little .22 is the best weapon that I have that I can put in my pocket.
Now I could hang the SKS with a 30 round mag on my shoulder but not only would I look like a fool, I'd be one.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:31 PM

I came back and read the post again just to see what had been said and something dawned on me. Bear Foot screwed the whole thread up with his post from get go.
I was talking about the crime rate when people had guns compared to when the gubbernuts took them away.
Why wasn't there any conversation about that subject hardly at all??
Old 02-17-2016, 09:01 PM

Cause You may have posted it in the wrong place . You seemed to want to discuss rights won or lost and that belongs in the extended access portion of the forum- not here
Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 AM

yes, look at crime rates, none gun crimes in the years before the gun control act of 1968, then the crime rate going higher right after 1968.

I met some people from england, they couldn't believe it, after all the guns wore given up, crime went insane. No hesitation or fear from the criminals