BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

  #1  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 PM
grumpa Male grumpa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Peel, Arkansas
Posts: 37
Smile Finding the right load made easy!

I'm the new guy on the forum but I was introduced to a product by a good friend that has really simplified working up good accurate loads. I've been a reloader since 1965 but I hadn't heard of "Quickload" which is a computer program that helps you discover the "nodes" of your barrel and help cut down on the expense. I've been using it for about a year now and with just two or three tries came up with good loads for two different rifles as opposed to several dozen to find out what was good. Their website is neconos.com or 800-451-3550. It's not cheap but with the price of primers, bullets, powder and brass you'll get you money back pretty quick. I also have a chart of optimum barrel time vs barrel length, mS. Anyone wanting a copy give me a fax number and I'll send it to you. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 AM
Kachad Male Kachad is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa View Post
I'm the new guy on the forum but I was introduced to a product by a good friend that has really simplified working up good accurate loads. I've been a reloader since 1965 but I hadn't heard of "Quickload" which is a computer program that helps you discover the "nodes" of your barrel and help cut down on the expense. I've been using it for about a year now and with just two or three tries came up with good loads for two different rifles as opposed to several dozen to find out what was good. Their website is neconos.com or 800-451-3550. It's not cheap but with the price of primers, bullets, powder and brass you'll get you money back pretty quick. I also have a chart of optimum barrel time vs barrel length, mS. Anyone wanting a copy give me a fax number and I'll send it to you. Hope this helps.
Haven't used quickload, but certainly believe in the nodes. Will check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 836
Default

Thanks for the information. I have not seen anything previous on this product either, but it sounds like something I may be interested in. I have been researching all my reloading manuals and doing some internet searching also for reduced loads trying to determine some subsonic loads for special applications in eliminating some obnoxious pests with the least amount of sound pollution possible.

As you said with the cost of components what they are this program could very easily pay for itself in a short time.

Hogs, beavers, & armadillos are all outlawed species in this state. The season for crows is 1 Sept through 1 Jan with no daily limit, however there is in all reality no non-season on crows, since the game regulations reads as follows: ""Crows may be taken year round during legal hunting shooting hours if they are depredating or about to depredate upon ornamentals or shade trees, agriculture crops, livestock, wildlife or when concentrated in such numbers as to be a health hazard." There is more but this pretty much sums it all up in one sentence, taken directly from the regulations.

But federal requirements demand keeping a daily log of crows killed. However, with no requirement to report the log to anyone or any place, that requirement is somewhat senseless at best and preposterous at worst!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 PM
newbiehal Male newbiehal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Default Question about loads

I was looking for ammo today on a site and suddenly realized that my wife's 38 cal snub nose and my 9mm ( 3.5 bbl) use very dissimilar loads. If her 38 cal using a 130 Gr Rd produces 890 Fps , how could my 9mm ammo use 115 Gr produce 1050 Fps? It was so simple in the Army, you just filled you 45 cal and pulled the trigger. No one worried about grains or Fps. Anyone got an answer for me?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 PM
MtnManJim Male MtnManJim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiehal View Post
I was looking for ammo today on a site and suddenly realized that my wife's 38 cal snub nose and my 9mm ( 3.5 bbl) use very dissimilar loads. If her 38 cal using a 130 Gr Rd produces 890 Fps , how could my 9mm ammo use 115 Gr produce 1050 Fps? It was so simple in the Army, you just filled you 45 cal and pulled the trigger. No one worried about grains or Fps. Anyone got an answer for me?
Hi newbiehal!
I'm not trying to sound flippant, but the answer to your question is "simple physics" - the pressure produced by the burning gunpowder inside your 9mm cartridge case is higher than the pressure produced by the burning gunpowder inside your wife's .38 cartridge case.
Think of it like this - if you shoot a pea through a straw, the harder you blow (more pressure) the faster the pea will be going when it leaves the other end of the straw.
It probably seems counterintuitive that the pressure produced inside a little 9mm Luger cartridge case is higher than the pressure produced inside a larger .38 Special case. But it's true, even though it's far more complicated than I can explain here.
I guess about the easiest thing to explain here is that even though both the 9mm Luger and the .38 Special were introduced in 1902 (I think) the 9mm Luger was designed from the onset to operate at higher pressure than the .38 Special.
Oh, and just one more thing - don't believe what it says on the box of factory ammo as far as fps goes. I seriously doubt your wife is getting anywhere near 890 fps with 130gr bullets from her .38 Special snubby. 700 to750 fps would be more like it. Both my wife and I carry .38 Special snubbies as our CCWs, I've been handloading our own ammo since the late '70s, I have, and frequently use a chronograph, and I find factory ammunition claims laughable at best. Especially from snub-nosed revolvers.
There are new types of short barrel ammo available nowadays that is specially designed for higher velocity from snub-nosed handguns. I've read it does a little better than standard factory fodder as far as fps goes, but I've never shot any of it across my chronograph to tell for sure.

Last edited by MtnManJim; 02-06-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2016, 03:04 PM
newbiehal Male newbiehal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Default

I understand what you are saying about there being more pressure in one cartridge than the other. But, if one has 130 grains and the other only 115, shouldn't the one with the higher grain count have more pressure? Also, for home defense, HP ammo seems to be preferred and they seem to be of a lower Grain content. And last question: What is "wad cutter" ammo. Is it something I as a novice shooter should stay away from?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 AM
MtnManJim Male MtnManJim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 143
Default

Hi newbiehal,
I tend to be long-winded, so I answered your very good questions the best I could in a PM. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
newbiehal Male newbiehal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Default Cartridge Loads

To: MtnManJim:

Thanks heaps Jim. That was a really good explanation. I always thought they were talking abouts the powder when they mentioned grains. Now I feel a little embarrassed, but I'll get over it. My Dad used to re-load his shotgun ammo, but he lived in another state during that time and I didn't learn about it untill he died.

Since I have your ear, how about your opinion on "expensive" pistols and revolvers as opposed to the guns you see being bad mouthed on almost every blog? Up front, I'll say that being on a fixed income I have to consider that as part of most purchases.

Thanks again, Hal
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Kachad Male Kachad is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiehal View Post
To: MtnManJim:

Thanks heaps Jim. That was a really good explanation. I always thought they were talking abouts the powder when they mentioned grains. Now I feel a little embarrassed, but I'll get over it. My Dad used to re-load his shotgun ammo, but he lived in another state during that time and I didn't learn about it untill he died.

Since I have your ear, how about your opinion on "expensive" pistols and revolvers as opposed to the guns you see being bad mouthed on almost every blog? Up front, I'll say that being on a fixed income I have to consider that as part of most purchases.

Thanks again, Hal
Mtn Jim - Could you post your PM with all the details? Long winded or not, would like to read it if possible.

Hal - Look at the pistol question in the way of an investment. That's how I justify things. But, my 1st .45 was a SW MP 45, and I really liked it. Moderate priced, but it's bulletproof. Never had a failure over many, many rounds. Anything in that same class would be my suggestion. Trigger sucks though, and grouping in the range is .. eh.

Then I started buying some 1911's. Higher priced models than the SW. These are what I usually shoot at the range, because they are just "right".

So my suggestion, is funds are tight, grab a mid-range pistol. The SW MP is what I carry.

If you don't carry and want for home defense\misc grab a cheap shotgun. In my opinion, cheap shotguns are reliable and a must have.

Then shoot a bunch of pistols, save up for the one that really feels good and you bond with.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 AM
MtnManJim Male MtnManJim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 143
Default

You're sure welcome Hal. Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. My darned computer is on the blink. I'm using my wife's laptop to type this -and not very well.
BTW, gunpowder is measured in grains too. But a typical charge of gunpowder in your wife's .38 Special behind a 130 grain bullet would only weigh between 3 and 8 grains, depending on the type of powder. A pound of gunpowder goes a long ways in a .38 Special. Not so far in a big magnum rifle that consumes upwards of 70 grains of gunpowder with every bang.
As far as advising you on what kind of gun to buy, I'm with Kachad. I too would look for a mid-priced gun. Shop carefully and long, and buy the gun that feels right and seems the best for you - not what I, or anyone else tells you is the best one to buy.
Yes Kachad - I WILL post my PM to Hal on this forum. Thanks for asking. Just give me a while to get my desktop up and running. With my fat fingers and lousy computer skills anyway, this laptop is driving me nuts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.