BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Opinions on a weasel trap

I appear to be having trouble with one or more weasels--probably ermine. Plans for the traps I've seen involve a box with a rat trap inside. Some folks have told me to attach a short pipe to the box to enhance the darkness and making the trap more effective; others have said it is not necessary and does nothing. Also, what is the best bait to use Any opinions/experience?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:07 AM

I wouldn't worry about trying to make it "darker" since you will probably catch it at night anyway.

I'd eat a can of sardines, and put some of the oil on the trap as bait and also use some to create a trail leading into the trap.

If you don't like sardines, get a can of cheap fish flavored cat food

I like to drill a hole in my traps so I can attach a string or wire to keep animals from dragging them away as they struggle
Old 01-23-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I wouldn't worry about trying to make it "darker" since you will probably catch it at night anyway.

I'd eat a can of sardines, and put some of the oil on the trap as bait and also use some to create a trail leading into the trap.

If you don't like sardines, get a can of cheap fish flavored cat food

I like to drill a hole in my traps so I can attach a string or wire to keep animals from dragging them away as they struggle
Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM

Ouch.... That kind of animal can be a problem if you have small live stock to protect... I had a small weasel kind of animal around the old farm place a couple times.. Dark fur and about the size of a young, small red squirrel.. When ever one showed up, my chipmunk and pigeon problems ended almost instantly..

For an animal about the size of a grey squirrel, I would use the 1x8 lumber box trap about 3' long with a Victor 180* swing rat trap.. About a 2.5-3" entrance hole in the trap door.. And a cord tied to the trap to pull it to the beck end of the box.. Plenty long, dark and secluded..

For a bigger animal of that family, a small, or mid size Conabear trap rigged about half way down the same kind of box.. With an open end entrance hole..

Plenty of how to videos for ideas..

Good hunting..
Old 01-29-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Mystery continues...

I thought I had a weasel problem, since eggs had gone missing and one broody hen was killed and her face was chewed off. The eggs that had been under her were gone. There were tracks that appeared to be weasel tracks in the fresh snow near the chickens. I made two weasel boxes--one with a rat trap and one with a small conibear. I also set a few more mouse traps in my attic shed. Nothing yesterday morning, but today one of the mousetraps in the attic of my workshed was gone. I have had this happen once before in the turkey house. I had squirrel problems, but I caught two small red squirrels in the shed attic, and that problem seems to have ceased. I have had no more signs of the weasel around the chickens...perhaps the old farm cat got them as she is old, but feisty and has had indications that she had been in a tussle--which I had blamed on my son's dog that he brings out once in a while.

Does anyone have any opinions on what may be happening? I am considering perhaps using poison peanut butter, since whatever I am being haunted by seems to prefer peanut butter to fish or meat (judging by the traps that have been robbed or are missing). We have voles here, so I am thinking perhaps voles are what are in the shed. I have never heard of voles eating eggs and chicken faces, so that may be a different critter from the shed attic (where we store emergency food and clothing).
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 PM

I have always avoided using poison as I didn't want to deal with target animals dying where I didn't want them to be and stinking...

Now.. If you have no non target animals that may get into the poison, or issues with dead bodies in bad places... If this is a last resort... Go for it...
You have nothing to loose...

You might consider putting your poison peanut butter in something like a long narrow wood box you would use a rat trap in to exclude non target animals..

I suppose the red squirrels could be/have contributed to your losses.. It has been proved red squirrels have/do kill/consume small birds depending on opportunity and nutritional needs... Given your location and food sources for wild animals it could be part of your specific problem...

Good luck...
Old 01-30-2016, 02:17 PM

The peanut butter sounds more like mice, but of course that wouldn't account for your chicken problem. Perhaps we're dealing with two things here. Mice and a weasel.

Maybe you can make use of the mice to get the weasel. Catch a mouse or two to use as bait for the weasel. You mentioned conibear traps, I assume 110s. Make a square tube the size of the 110s or whatever conibear you have. Leave it open at both ends. Place a mouse in the middle where it can be seen and scented, then place a conibear at each end. Being able to see through may give a shy weasel a little more confidence to go inside. I've used this type of set for mink.

I make my box out of plywood, and put a slot in the side where the spring goes. This way I can slide the trap just inside the box to help hide it and give it support so it won't fall over.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:20 PM

It could be more than one predator. Rats will kill things and eat most anything

I'd get some large Victor rat traps, and drill a hole to attach a string or wire and a stick or weight so they can't drag it away.

I used to lose a lot of traps in my barn until I started attaching a "drag" or anchoring them to something solid

Wrap the trigger with a layer of cotton string to hold the scent of the bait, and they can't eat or lick it off

You can also try setting several traps side by side in a larger box so the animal gets caught in more than one as it struggles

If you have pets around I'd avoid all poisons for now
Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM

The conibear was set off last night and the bait (chicken neck) partly eaten, but nothing was caught. I did have a huge mouse problem earlier in the year and caught 40 or 50 mice in regular mousetraps set around the place. I also had squirrel (red) problems, and I caught two of them in rat traps and have seen no more. I have one of those black plastic rat traps around somewhere. I caught the red squirrels in it earlier, but it was in the artic entry and is now gone. Probably the wife has moved it, so I will have to ask her where it is when she gets home. It certainly is a mystery to me what this could be. I have lived in this house for 24 years and have never had this kind of problem before. One of the weasel boxes is set with a Victor rat trap, but nothing has messed with it yet. It is the one out by the chickens.

We'll see what happens tonight....
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM

Weasel trap.... I just happened to think....

Just wave a US dollar, and a politician will come from somewhere...

I know... BAD joke... But I couldn't resist...
Just the kind of SOB I am....
Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Weasel trap.... I just happened to think....

Just wave a US dollar, and a politician will come from somewhere...

I know... BAD joke... But I couldn't resist...
Just the kind of SOB I am....
Good comparison, some times the truth is very funny in an odd sort of way