BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 PM

Default growing carrots

Any one have any tips on growing carrots? I sew them, the rain drowns the seeds or they just do not germinate. I have tried mixing sand with seed and did not seem to help. HELP!!!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

If you get no germination, I think you must have bad seed. You implied that the drainage on your land is bad...try raised beds. I had clay soil the first time I grew carrots, and I double-dug the bed and the carrots thrived.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Are you keeping your half-used seed packets? Because carrot seeds are only good for 2 years.

I have gotten good results from sowing the seeds before the last frost: the seeds do not mind getting frozen, and they sprout earlier in the year to get them off to a good start.

Carrot plants dry out in the quiver of an eye when they are still small: if we have a hot spell I will water them 2-3 times a day, being VERY sure not to drown them. No new seedling does well with standing water.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 PM

Default carrots love Tomatoes

There is actually a book with the title Carrots love tomatoes. It's about companion planting, but there is something to it. And we have planted a row of carrots between two rows of tomatoes. It seems to work pretty well.

Carrot seeds are very slow to germinate, and I've always had problems with the weeds coming before the carrots. It's a lot of pulling the weeds on the hands and knees.

But I do see the tomatoes shading the carrots, and that helps them not dry out, and thus the carrots do quite well.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 PM

All good advice above. Also-- don't plant them too deep. General rule is plant seeds at a depth about twice their own diameter.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:39 PM

Plant a radish every foor or so to mark the rows (they germinate faster) and keep rows moist until germination buy covering with a sheet or two of news paper