BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Digestive Health

This is a long story. I started eating a few can pickled beets every night and started eating sriracha sauce (sp?) as I like things spicy. Then my wife bought a salad mix that was not on the recall (but since she works for a grocery they were told to pull the item from the shelf) and the next day our youngest daughter and I ate the recalled salad before we knew it was recalled. The next day the daughter was vomiting and having diarrhea and I had diarrhea only. Then our sinuses kicked in big time. The daughter cleared up pretty fast. I went for a couple weeks with the diarrhea. My doctor had me on a BRAT diet and not the German sausages either, Gatorade, and finally Citrucel 2 tablets once a day. The Citrucel seem to stop the diarrhea. But then everything went reverse to constipation. The doctor has me maintaining on the Citrucel. I tried going without for a few days but no change. So I have tried eating stewed rhubarb which normally does the trick for me and no change. I went back to eating pickled beets still no change. Last night we went to an all you can eat China Buffet, which usually works in a few hours and again nothing happened. I do not want to take the Citrucel forever. I have thought of Kimchi but was not sure if I am making things worse or better. Would Kimchi work? I have been staying off of cheese and dairy to help things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wow, sad story! Sorry for your misfortune. Citrucel is not a bad thing and, as far as I know, there are no harmful side effects. I would continue to use it as long as needed to help clean pathogens out of your system. Kimchi would be great (the real fermented kind) if you can tolerate cabbage and other ingredients. You could try other forms of bulk, such as bran or prunes, to see if those help, and get some of the better probiotics to help establish normal flora. Laxatives are not necessarily bad either, as long as you don't take them for long periods of time. Good luck with your health!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 PM

I eat dried fruit every day, which prevents problems.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:13 AM

OUCH..... Not a good sounding situation...

My guts have been messed up for so long now, I'm living with issues likely for the rest of my life... My digestive tract is about 4' shorter than it should be, so issues are a constant thing...

I can eat spicy, LOVE kimchi and rice.. Could eat it every day.. Just can't take things that are too sweet, greasy, rich, or dairy.. They go down OK, just go through quite "viciously"..... A half cup of ice cream, and I'm in BIG danger.... KnowwhatImean....

If what you were taking made you lower GI tract slow down, it may take a significant amount of time for things to return to "normal" operation...

Good luck..
Old 02-20-2016, 05:40 PM

After a bout of diarrhea, it's not unusual to be without a BM for several days. It takes time to rebuild the population of gut flora that you had just recently evacuated. "Constipation" OTOH, is the situation where you have difficulty passing what's in there.

The Citrucel you took was intended to provide some bulk to the BM (I guess?), but may now have turned into a block of cement. Things like mineral oil, prunes or stool softeners will draw water back into the bowel to help soften that brick.

I usually recommend only taking enough fluids for the first couple days of a diarrheal illness to prevent dehydration. You don't want to stop the flow at first: wash out the bugs. Don't slow that process down. Then add rice for bulk and yogurt to re-population the bowel flora (cheaper than "pro-biotics", which do the same thing).

If you're really suffering bad from the constipation, an oil retention enema may be called for. You be the judge.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 AM

Yeah, if the directions on the Citrucel weren't followed, you might get a blockage, but usually water will get things moving. Citrucel is methylcellulose, but K-Y jelly is hydroxymethylcellulose.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:32 AM

Three things will get you moving again: magnesium, vitamin C, and fiber.

Look for psyllium husk fiber. It isn't too expensive and is pretty allergen neutral. As above, drink lots and lots of clear water. If you don't want to load the fiber into capsules, it works really well when added to baked goods like muffins or bread.

Mega-dosing on vitamin C has been known to cause diarrhea. The typical advice is for someone to increase their dosage until diarrhea occurs then back-off approximately 500 to 1000 mg. Start with 5000 mg of vitamin C and see how that works. You may have to increase until you get some movement. It is hard to over-dose on vitamin C because our body will flush it out but be careful. Vitamin C also thins the blood so if you already take a blood thinner, lots of aspirin / ibuprofen, or have a hazardous occupation, this might not be the route for you.

Remember ol' Milk of Magnesia? Well, magnesium is the go-to mineral for getting those small muscles in the intestinal wall rhythmically contracting like they are supposed to. The added benefit is it is supposed to prevent leg cramps, if that is an issue for you. I take 800 mg of magnesium daily so you could probably take more for a short time (1200 mg, for instance).

After you get stabilized, you can take a supplemental probiotic. Look for one that is 20 to 30 Billion and has a wide range of bacterial types. Be careful, many people go through a nasty detox phase but it is worth it and not any worse than you're dealing with right now. I started on a probiotic last year and I'm no longer lactose intolerant.

Consider giving your little one a gentle probiotic, too. Look for one designed for children or those "Pearls" probiotic are pretty low-impact. Then give her lots of kisses because that's how we transfer our good intestinal flora (and healthy mouth germs) to our children.

Lastly, your liver may be inflamed from the food poisoning. Avoid taking Tylenol and the generic version. Avoid alcohol (for now). And consider taking Milk Thistle supplements to help your liver heal. Once you start feeling normal again, you can resume all the above.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 AM

I'm gonna try the magnesium, and vitamin C. I've just started using fiber but things just aren't 'moving'. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Did things improve for you, Ciderman?

I have similar problems to what you describe. I have found that the only thing that helps is eating a lot of fermented food. I eat sauerkraut and fermented radishes, I take probiotics each day, and I also make my own water kefir and beet kvass. The kvass seems to make the biggest difference. It's basically like pickled beet juice, lots of good bacteria in there, and it's good for the digestion, too. I have found that since I started taking beet kvass before each meal (I drink a few ounces), I no longer get acid reflux like I used to.