BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Thrift Store "Don't" ???

http://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-style...e.html/?ref=YF
===
Here is a little article that caught my eye..
It appears this article was written by, I'm going to guess, a young fashion deva for a fashion publication... I'm sure this person is good at what they know.... However, I guess I'm the kind of person farthest from that kind of person/life style.... That is me being an OBFSG... (old, bald, fat, single, guy) Besides the fact I live pretty far out in the sticks...

I disagree with 5 of 6 items listed.. The 6th one is a no brainer...
First, the 6th, no brain item.. I've never owned anything in my life that needed tailored.... Likely never will.. And won't miss that experience..

Underwear, swim suits.... The writer says even with washing, this is still ICK, just say no... I've found these items in my size new or next to new, and a good washing IS more than adequate to use....

Hats... The only hats I ware are ball caps.. A camo ball cap at 25 cents, or a John Deere cap at $1 is a good buy.. Again a good wash, and good to go..

Shoes are admittedly tougher... ALWAYS try them on in the store... I will admit I have had several pair of "farm" shoes that didn't work well.. But at a substantial savings, it is OK to ditch a pair now and then.. Snow boots, and other winter gear here in the frozen north can be a good buy at thrift stores..

"Any thing not in good shape"..... Again a no brainer.. However... I will admit I have bought things that are not that good, with specific reasons in mind... I have bought shoes, shirts and pants to do painting with, brush clearing, logging, muddy or greasy chores, and other jobs that are hard on clothes with the intent to just discard the items after the job is done...

For instance.... I'll bet the writer of this article has never had to deal with greasing a tractor, combine, or other implements... Cleaning a barn, or spreading a winters worth of manure pile, birthing farm animals, drilling an oil well, or other jobs that need doing before the general public goes to the super market or other store...

I guess there are a whole lot of different retrospectives on any given subject... Take care..
Old 02-28-2016, 06:53 PM

I don't think I would buy underwear at a thrift store, unless perhaps it was a very high quality long underwear. That might be worth the disinfection, especially if it had hardly been worn. Old stuff in bad condition is okay for painting, greasing, etc., but I usually generate enough of that myself. As far as wet suits and (especially) dry suits go, many times they are NOT worn out, just outgrown--the belly outgrows the zipper! Shoes are a toss-up. I don't think I would buy those unless they appear not to have been worn much; the hats are the same. I already have so many hats around, I can't even keep track of the ones I have. Good quality stocking caps are worth the trouble of cleaning. If I want things tailored, my dear wife could do it, but I don't generally worry about that any more.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:44 PM

Default a good washing...

We buy a lot of our son's clothing at a thrift store. He's 8 and growing like a weed. We have found many pairs of jeans and shirts in really good condition, and for 2-5 dollars, we can afford to wash them. As for underwear, and swim suits, we buy new, but we often wait for the "back to school sales" for underwear, and the "end of the season" for swim suits, and we simply buy sizes ahead.

We have bought used shoes (which looked brand new), and I simply spray the inside with an antifungal (athletes foot) spray, and let them sit a few days before letting him wear them.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 AM

Kids...... WHOLE different subject.... Like said, they out grow things before you get them home, sometimes by the next wearing... Definitely out grow by the next season.. I could never get it right to buy bigger sizes ahead for the next season for my kids..
--
Yes... Utility is the key to buying "pre-owned" clothes.. Usually not fashion..

If your life consists of triple or more name coffees, and the latest fashion trends, and the places to be seen.. I suppose those rules are one way to live.. But that comes at a price...

A price and lifestyle I'm not willing to embrace...

Take care..
Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 AM

Interesting article and commentary too. I've bought many pairs of shoes and boots from thrift stores. Of course they fit, or I wouldn't take them home. I've never bought underwear. I've never really seen that much of it in a thrift store, come to think of it. Except new in packages, like seconds or something like that. When I buy something, I seal it up in a plastic bag, bring it in the house and directly into the washer. I'm always concerned about lice and bedbugs! I assume Goodwill cleans the clothes because I remember reading an article a few years back about how GW got an infestation of bedbugs in one of their warehouses and had to close it down. One thing I would never buy from a thrift store now days is furniture unless it's completely wood. Then I would disinfect it thoroughly before I brought it in the hose.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 PM

While almost all of my clothing purchases come from a thrift store, I'd never thought about buying underwear there. I guess I figured underwear and socks could be picked up cheap enough at Wal Mart.

Boots are another matter. The two pair of dress boots I have today, one Ostrich for $10 and the other snakeskin for $5, came from a thrift store.

Our Goodwill stores here have started something new. Men's shirts are usually $3.49, but each week a colored tag, say blue, is 99 cents. Lately the following week, when say red tags are now 99 cents, the blue tags go to 49 cents. Of course by the time a shirt has spent a week at 99 cents and no one bought it, I'm not sure if 49 cents is going to encourage anyone, but I suppose that's better then sending all the unsold to the bulk store.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM

Wyo
I am with you on buying it all from thrift shop. Back before mom would buy anything at thrift shop she took me to Wards in Denver for a pair of shoes/ Got A foot from that. No where else could have gotten. I have never got anything from a thrift shop. wash things but not shoes. I get good shoes. Yes I buy under wear and socks. For long time I never bought panties or socks. These cushion sole socks last.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:11 AM

Wet suits? Why? It doesn't sound like the kind of item that would be on any city girl's must-have list. But there is a lot of things I don't know about this world...
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Master Pontificator

As a kid i wore nothing but clothing from thrift stores and local Ames, these days there are no thrift stores around my area, none that have much clothing in my size anyway, big men tend to wear out everything, that and most people just throw things out instead, got some of my best sweatshirts and vests from a dumpster behind kmart (not kmart brand stuff, someone threw their stuff in dumpster the night before, i had to walk to town overnight and had time at first light to dumpster dive and got there just after they did)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:50 AM

I've had mixed results with shoe purchases but not so often that I wouldn't keep on doing it. I'll set them out in the sun and dust them real good inside with Gold Bond powder.

I wouldn't buy electronics without testing them although I've done OK on a couple of coffee makers.

I try to avoid "projects" as in "I can get this bicycle cheap and I'll just find a wheel somewhere and fix it up . . . ." when I get time!

The bottom line: the more resourceful you can be, the shorter that "never buy" list becomes.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 PM

I try to avoid "projects" as in "I can get this bicycle cheap and I'll just find a wheel somewhere and fix it up . . . ." when I get time!

The bottom line: the more resourceful you can be, the shorter that "never buy" list becomes.
---
Yes.... Very much so... If you let your "projects" overwhelm your ability, resources, time, you name it... In short order you MIGHT see yourself on an episode of Hoarders....
---
My latest 2 scores are a 20" box fan in excellent shape.. A wall sign that says... Grand kids get spoiled here....

Take care..
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM

Thursday I went to thrift shop. Got 2 small mixing bowls. 1 small corning ware bowl and soup cup. 1 cookie cutter and bale pan that is heavy wt. $4.25 total. And plastic PIE SERVER.

I have bowls pacled somewhere. Some years agp was to yard sale and table had pyrex
. bowls and smaLL to casseroles. Some had lids; I said how muc for all on table. $4. I did find more lids to fit.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 AM
Master Pontificator

I love thrift shops but not Goodwill which is overpriced and trashy. One thrift shop I go to all clothing is $1 per item. The other two are $2 to $5 per item depending on what it is. One has a $8 per bag sale one day a month and the bag you fill is huge. One is pretty upmarket with good name brand lightly worn clothing. The $1 per garment store requires more careful vetting but for $1 its worth the effort.

There is always the possibility of picking up bugs from retail stores depending on the customers that previously have tried on the garments.

It pays to go to your favorite thrift shops regularly and if you see something you think you want, pick it up and hang onto it until you decide one way or the other.

I bought a good crockpot at an auction for $1 because it was missing the lid. Got a replacement lid for 50 at a thrift store. So $25 crockpot for $1.50.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Our local Goodwill is clean and has nice stuff. Salvation Army the same. I find the local thrift stores here either dirty or very clean but very over-priced.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM

I was to a thrift shop in Vernal and I did buy 2 heavy wt fancy bake pans yesterday. One make 9 easter eggs and the other 6 butterflies. Not sure but fancy bread rolls I guess. Like new and I could not pass the up.

The sjop is vrty mvr but jigh on some things. Goodwill in bug city high on everty but very nice. Charity shops cheaper usually as run by volunteers.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:24 PM

There are an abundance of thrift stores near me, amazing number actually for community of 80,000 in city limits.

ST. Vincents (best prices)
Bibles for Missions
Value Village (highest prices but biggest selection)
Hospital Ladies Auxiliary (cleanest and best organized)
Hospice
Salvation Army
Mental Health Support (just found this one but haven't been in yet)

Our Restore for Habitant for Humanity closed - sure miss it. Some kind of issue with the head office. Building is up for sale, so it's not likely coming back.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:07 PM

Not many thrift shop arounf here. Two pans O got str Mordoc ware cast, $2 each.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 AM

I love thrift stores and have found some great finds there: clothes for the children, blankets, household supplies, used books... thrift stores are always my first choice when I need something. Also, I don't shy away from items that may need some good washing or slight repairs. Around here, if I pick up an item with a missing button, a stain, a tiny rip at the seam, etc, I am often told I can have it for free, and it's only a few minutes' work to fix.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Master Pontificator

I have bought most of our family's clothes, and a large part of our household items such as dishes, linens, etc, at thrift stores over the years.

I have usually shopped at Value Village, but I think I'm going to have to stop going there and spend the time to seek out other stores. The prices at Value Village have gone through the roof. I was looking for summer clothing there yesterday for my 5 year old daughter. The prices were in most cases more expensive than it would be to buy the clothes new at Walmart. I couldn't believe it.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Some thrift syores do change more that others. I like the one down home.
One where my older son lives is open one day a week. I lije them but only get there maybe once year. . I do my main buying diwen ome. They are opem 4
days a week.