BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default "First" Spring 2016...

Forgot to mention... Found out at the church dinner yesterday, several people in the township have seen black bears out already.... One was feeding on a road kill deer carcass... No details on the others..

I suspect they can/will go back to den after a short time out of den, depending on conditions.. But I'm not sure of details of there usual "wake up" behavior and timing...

I will say with the last couple years history, I'm NOT looking forward to spring bear activity... With there population numbers as high as they have been lately, they have NOT been good neighbors.. KnowwhatImean...

Couple this with the dead skunk on the road from last weekend, and these are sure signs of spring WILL eventually get here...

I've seen nothing new or unusual at my bird feeders yet..

How about your area ???
Take care..
Old 02-29-2016, 01:05 PM

We've had an odd winter here: either very cold or very warm (set record warmth yesterday 62*). Supposed to get 4 in. of snow tonite. Ground heaving and settling in cycles-- very hard on pavement and fence posts
Juncos are a winter bird here and still around the feeders in great numbers, but already heard migrating geese honking on their way north this weekend. Skunks haven't appeared yet.

The only Bears we have around here play in Soldier Field, and they don't give anybody very much trouble at all.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:11 PM

Spring is in early bloom here in SW Missouri, daffodils are blooming and we found the first ticks of the season out and about last weekend. No bears, but skunks are sleeping on the sides of the roads in great numbers...
Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM

A few reports of bear activity here, but we have seen none in our area yet. This would be a good time to shoot one if you have the excuse. Spring bear is wonderful stuff! Migrating ducks arrived yesterday, the earliest I think we have ever seen here. I guess there is open water on the way up, so they follow it. We have a little open water on the flowing streams, but the lakes are still frozen to 3 feet or more according to my son.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No bears, but skunks are sleeping on the sides of the roads in great numbers...
It's like all of a sudden every skunk in the country came out of hiding and ended up on the side of the road. Can't go 10 miles down the road before the inside of the truck starts smelling again.

Thousands of snow guess milling around waiting for the urge to go farther north. Sandhill cranes should be here soon if not already starting to show up.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM

3/10/16
Yesterday I took out garbage.. The neighborhood central garbage collection site has there electric bear wire up and armed around the dumpsters..

News is warning black wood ticks are out.. The ones usually associated with Lyme disease..

Neighbor girls saying a lake side water hole not far up the lake reporting a bear in the garbage there.. Tracks about the size of a salad plate...

Just a very little more open water around the channels between lakes and near some shore lines... All kinds of geese and other water foul lined up along that..

Bears and ticks... NOT my favorite spring animals..
Bears I can handle.... Need someone to check me for ticks now and then..
Old 03-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
It's like all of a sudden every skunk in the country came out of hiding and ended up on the side of the road.
Same here about 2. Weeks ago . They were all over the place . Now gone . Coons are back out raiding the bird feeders.

We had temps in 70' last week. 38 this morning and forecast of 72 tomorrow. Real roller coaster .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-21-2016 at 01:53 PM.