BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:48 PM

Default old barn and corn crib that need structural repair

Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right sub forum.
My wife and myself just bought a old 10 acre home place/farm the barn needs some repair.one whole wall and floor beams and boards in the hay loft. And the corn crib has the same, one whole wall plus about 4 feet of the floor beams at that wall are rotted away. Reframing the walls,that I already know how to do.
But what do I do as far as replacing the floor beams.
I will try to post some pics later in the week.
GP
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM

You're going to need to excavate under the load that the beam is carrying so that you can jack it up enough to take the load with temporary supports so that you can cut out the rotten wood and replace it with new treated lumber. As someone that has completed what you are facing let me suggest that you take a careful look a what you will have left after you do all of the work. I'm not trying to discourage you but make sure what is left is worth what you are going to do in labor and materials. I say that because I remodeled an old barn into at shop about 10 years ago and I find now that it is still trying to deteriorate. I would have been ahead to tear down the old barn and build a new one. Check close for any signs of termites, they are so bad around here that I left a piece of cardboard on the floor of my shop for about a week and when I finally got around to picking it up the termites had it half gone. Good heavy duty bottle jacks are going to be needed for your project which you may be able to rent but are worth having around a farm. Good luck with your project. There is a wealth of information on this website, take your time and take advantage of it.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the advise Grumpa, I'm going to check with harbour freight on the bottle jacks.
Other than the repairs that I listed, the buildings are in surprisingly good shape. Especially the barn.