BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 PM

Thumbs up Battleship USS Alabama

Just spent 5 days and 4 nights in Mobile Alabama for a maternal clan meeting of cousins, one I hadn't seen in about 35 years. We took advantage of the free trolley that they call the "Moda" and got a good tour of the old town. We then went out on the bay to The USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park where obviously they have the battleship Alabama in an almost completely restored condition together with a submarine on dry dock. They have really worked hard at the park because they also have fighters/bombers of all vintages, from prop jobs to jets. There's a B25J "Mitchell" and a B52 bomber and everything in between. They also have a good assortment of tracked vehicles, tanks, apcs and even an amtrac and some artillery. A lot of work and effort has gone into making this memorial a worth while tour to take. If you happen to be in Mobile I would encourage you to stop in and look at the "old days". Good Luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Sounds like a fun look into history while you were there....
I'm always interested in stuff like that, but never got the chance to get around to seeing much stuff.. At least stuff that far away..

Like the saying goes... PICTURES..... WE NEED PICTURES...

Enjoy..
Old 03-16-2016, 08:32 PM

We toured the Alabama in about 1975 while in Mobile on business with the family. Not developed as you describe. My biggest memory of that was compartments were blocked off with chain link fencing. Our 4-5 yearold was able to slip past the fencing and get into the the displays. He wouldn't come out until he was ready and we couldn't get in to get him.
Are the displays more secure today?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 PM

Yes, they now have solid bars or plexiglass to prevent unauthorized entry into restricted areas. They had one area on the bow that they had chained off from some machinegun mounts that were undergoing restoration. There has obviously been a lot of effort put into the entire memorial.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Wasn't that fun!!! We went in Dec. when DD graduated from Un of South AL. Really enjoyed it. Second time going, first time being about 30 years ago. Also took in Bellingrath Gardens. It was a spectacular site with the Christmas lights.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Coincidentally...... After this posts... I saw a short documentary of a tour of the battle ship Iowa... A tour "behind the ropes"....

Little glimpses from the bilges up to the very top a person could go and stay inside the ship.. A very interesting blend of 1940s to close to the year 2000 or so technology..

It would have taken real guts to be in some of those spaces while firing or taking fire...

I have toured several Great Lakes type ships, but nothing like this.. Hope to get to someday..

Enjoy...
Old 03-23-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Coincidentally...... After this posts... I saw a short documentary of a tour of the battle ship Iowa... A tour "behind the ropes"....

Little glimpses from the bilges up to the very top a person could go and stay inside the ship.. A very interesting blend of 1940s to close to the year 2000 or so technology..

It would have taken real guts to be in some of those spaces while firing or taking fire...

I have toured several Great Lakes type ships, but nothing like this.. Hope to get to someday..

Enjoy...
And I think the North Carolina is moored in Wilmington, N.C. for those on the East Coast. The cruiser I served aboard, the Oklahoma City is at the bottom of the Pacific somewhere as the base for a reef for fish.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 AM

I last went on the ship about 2years ago.I went by myself so I could see the thing at my own pace.I went years ago with my wife and children,a very short tour as all I heard was,"my feet hurt,I'm tired,I'm hot,etc".

As I recall,the submarine,the USS Drum,had the 6th highest tonnage of enemy ships sunk of all US submarines during WWII.

For what it's worth,last April I went on my very first airplane flight aboard a B17 bomber,the "909".I've ridden in many fire engines and ladder trucks in my 38 year career as a fireman.None of that comes close to that 30 minute ride in that B17.The thrill of a lifetime!