BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Feral Pigs take Deer..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/31...ins-herds.html
===
Here is an article showing details about the opportunistic, omnivorous habits of wild pigs.. It makes sense this would happen where there numbers are enough to cause issues..

According to the map, there are feral pigs in most all states.. Some states may have them, just not qualified sightings.. Yet...

Take care..
Old 04-01-2016, 06:36 PM

As far as I know, there are no hogs here that are feral, although some guys have them (illegally) for hunting and bad purposes, such as fighting them with dogs. If they are loose here, it would be legal to hunt them using any methods that don't harm the resident wildlife or people. Wild animals of any kind are illegal to possess in Alaska unless you are licensed by the state to have them, such as rehab centers and zoos. Many people used to have wolf hybrids here, but the state has made them all go away (if they know about them).
Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM

I don't know about feral pigs in Alaska, but it would not be a stretch to know they can survive a lot of areas there.. As they survive and thrive in Siberia in or near the Arctic there..

Detail.. It is said an adult black bear here will take an average of 7 deer fawns a spring.. I suspect near the same for a feral pig, where fawns are available..

With the deer numbers so down in my and surrounding counties, I suspect it will eventually make a difference in the high bear numbers of the last few years.. But it will take some time for mother nature to cycle things..

Take care..
Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 AM

Minnesota, is still grey (no sightings). We have lots of pigs here, but they are in pens.

Where I go deer hunting, there are LOTS of deer.

I've heard the feral pigs are good to eat.

So to me, if you live in an area that has them, happy Hunting to you.
I recently have developed some very fine pork sausage recipes. Backwoods home offers the book - "Home sausage making". I have found the "breakfast" sausage, makes a very good sausage. I use this on pizza, and when stuffed in a natural casing, makes a wonderful bratwurst.
So do the environment a favor, and go shoot a wild pig, and fill your freezer at the same time.

Bear
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 AM

RochBear... I suspect MN is in the same place WI was a few years ago.. I saw trail cam pictures of, obviously Russian boar type pigs at bear baits not far from me.. This was 4? maybe 5? years ago, before the state would admit to there existence..

I think it is just a matter of time for you...
---
I have mixed feelings for Texas.. I have heard and read many reports of land owners complaining loud and long about pig damage.. But when people offer to hunt, trap, anyway to help with the problem.. The first thing many land owners say is "that will cost $100" By what I know about there land use rights and leases they can do that.. But seems to me not when your complaining about the problem in the same sentence..

I don't know about any other states landowner attitudes..
--
Yes.. Pork is pork.. I'm sure wild animals can be made VERY tasty..
Enjoy
Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 AM

Default Wild Pigs

Have had pig sign on my place in the Central California foothills for the last several weeks. The El-Nino rains have softened the ground and the pigs are taking advantage of this condition. Without my hearing aids, I don't hear them at night when they are most active... If I luck out and spot any, the MINI-30 will be put to use!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:52 PM

ajk.... You may want to look into a live trap for pigs.. Just do a Google search for same, and a ton of info..

A friend of mine has a homemade live trap to "relocate" problem bears they have at times.. This is near where the trail cam pictures of pigs was in this area.. I've been thinking about building a trap for pigs, as the other live trap isn't a good fit for pigs..

Thinking it won't hurt to have the trap on hand to "take care of business" before a situation get too big to handle.. KnowwhatImean..

Good luck
Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 PM

Question

They are bad in Texas. They are playing heck in the fields. They have been cautioning about eating the older, bigger pigs due to some kind of disease.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 AM

Hogs are considered "unclean" in several religions no doubt due to their propensity for transmitting infectious diseases like trichinosis, Brucellosis, etc. That's why we've always been warned to cook the meat thoroughly.

Bon appetit!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2865094/