BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Default Greenhouse Recommendations

We are looking to buy a greenhouse but we are not sure which type to buy. Most people seem to have the dull looking aluminium framed greenhouse but i'm not really a fan. There's wooden greenhouses I've seen but I would have thought that maybe they'd start to rot over time. I quite like the idea of a brick and wood combo but can imagine that working out quite expensive, taking quite a bit of work too to achieve. There is polytunnels as well I suppose but I'd be worried about those in adverse weather. What do other people use? I want it for growing veg/herbs mainly and maybe some fruit.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

We managed to get an old military shelter frame from WWII that was made from Cyprus wood. It originally was a 16' x 16' shelter with doors and a heater vent in the transom over one of the doors. We doubled the distance on center between the "rafters" and went from 2' OC to 4' OC, thus constructing a 16' x 32' shelter frame and covered it with polycarbonate. It took me a couple tries to get the fastening system down so that the winter winds wouldn't damage it, but it is 18 years old now and has served us well. I don't know if such things are available in Ireland, but I would think about finding an old building or trailer that could be stripped of its outer covering and covered with something more transparent...or at least translucent, and you will get a sturdier stricter for less money. I have known some very nice greenhouses that were made from old travel trailers and mobile homes.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Several points to consider: the depth of your pocketbook, the size you need, your intentions (commercial production vs supplying only your small family with a few greens & tomatoes, for instance).

A true greenhouse requires a source of heat for those cold nights and sunless days. That can get expensive.

A high tunnel made of PVC piping and polyEth skin will suffice if you merely want to extend your growing season by a month or two on each end.

A cold frame will suffice for growing lettuce, spinach & radishes from March - December. Scrap wood and salvaged storm windows--total cost $0 USD (or 0 dracmas or rubels, for that matter)

The high tunnel is pretty sturdy: the plastic skin stretched and anchored from end to end & side to side is very stable due to the tension. I put mine up in early spring after the risk of big snow is gone, take it down in late spring, then put it back up in late fall until snowstorms again become a risk. I'm near Chicago and we regularly get snow storms of 6"+..a little hard on the frame. But smaller amounts don't seem to bother the structure, nor do severe thunderstorms. I built mine for ~$50 USD.

You may also want to investigate "walapini." That's a structure dug 5-6 ft down into the ground with a slanted glass roof making use of the steady geothermal 55*F temps at that depth. Again, use re-cycled windows for the roof; brick retaining walls and wooden roof frame would be your only cost.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutliving View Post
We are looking to buy a greenhouse but we are not sure which type to buy. Most people seem to have the dull looking aluminium framed greenhouse but i'm not really a fan. There's wooden greenhouses I've seen but I would have thought that maybe they'd start to rot over time. I quite like the idea of a brick and wood combo but can imagine that working out quite expensive, taking quite a bit of work too to achieve. There is polytunnels as well I suppose but I'd be worried about those in adverse weather. What do other people use? I want it for growing veg/herbs mainly and maybe some fruit.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. The idea of using an old military shelter sounds really cool but I doubt very much I'd be able to get hold of one of those. It does make sense to be resourceful though and try to find an old sturdy structure that's in need of re-purposing. It will also look unique and won't look boring like those lean-to style basic aluminium greenhouse I mentioned. I'm going to have to have a scout in and around the surrounding neighbourhoods to see what I can scrounge. I like the idea of creating something new from the old so this could be quite a fun project to undertake. Guess I was thinking initially I'd probably just buy one for sale at the store but I'm going to have a go and see what I can find.

I'm mainly going to be growing a bit of basic fruit and veg. I don't really want to grow anything that requires too much temperature control as that's going to cost cash and the whole idea of doing this was so that I can save cash on groceries in the long-term.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
We managed to get an old military shelter frame from WWII that was made from Cyprus wood. It originally was a 16' x 16' shelter with doors and a heater vent in the transom over one of the doors. We doubled the distance on center between the "rafters" and went from 2' OC to 4' OC, thus constructing a 16' x 32' shelter frame and covered it with polycarbonate. It took me a couple tries to get the fastening system down so that the winter winds wouldn't damage it, but it is 18 years old now and has served us well. I don't know if such things are available in Ireland, but I would think about finding an old building or trailer that could be stripped of its outer covering and covered with something more transparent...or at least translucent, and you will get a sturdier stricter for less money. I have known some very nice greenhouses that were made from old travel trailers and mobile homes.
If you'd got a pic handy, would be cool to see what you ended-up with in the end, especially as its served you so well all these years.