BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Their response is always that they will let me know when he dies, but I'll bet I end up telling them instead.

I read somewhere that they are trained to only answer questions, not volunteer additional information. It just depends on who answers the call, some reps are very chatty, others say next to nothing and give yes or no answers.

It's frustrating. I want what I'm entitled to, but they make me feel like the money is coming out of their paycheck.
I have always dealt with SS representatives in person, at the SS office in "The Big City".
Yes, it is a 45 min drive one way, but the people my wife and I have spoken with are knowledgeable.
My first contact with them at age 65 to get enrolled in Medicare resulted in the agent voluntarily giving me information about how to get maximum benefit while retiring early and continuing to work. "Now, I can't suggest you do this, BUT, if it was ME, this is how I'd do it." I ended up losing $92/month by starting early while continuing to earn $40,000/year at my job.
He even did the math and said the difference wouldn't even catch up until I was age 84, or something like that.

Go see them in person. I usually have to sit in the waiting room for an hour or so - but even that is enlightening. I see people with disabilities, etc, that really makes me grateful to God that I have something as simple as arms and legs that still work. Well, as good as they can for 68 years of hard use.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
Go see them in person. I usually have to sit in the waiting room for an hour or so - but even that is enlightening. I see people with disabilities, etc, that really makes me grateful to God that I have something as simple as arms and legs that still work. Well, as good as they can for 68 years of hard use.
Yes, I've decided to go to a satellite SS office from now on instead of calling. It won't be as crowded.

When I see a disabled person I ask God to bless them because I know how very hard it is. I don't look it, but I am one of them. Living below the poverty level has to be experienced to be understood. The simplest things are difficult to accomplish because there are so many obstacles.

My next door neighbor worked for the IRS and she had great plans for her retirement. Then she developed severe macular degeneration and all of the magnification devices available didn't help, so she had to quit. She's now blind. Goodbye plans. She's understandably angry and bitter. She doesn't go outside any more. Her benefits have been cut and she struggles.

The neighbor next to her is my age (64) and he was badly injured in a motorcycle accident years ago. He has brain damage, he cannot read. He's got one leg and cannot use one arm. He lives with his 90 year old mother. SS decided he was no longer disabled, so they cut his benefits by $200 a month.

The neighbor on the corner had his food stamp benefit reduced to $1 a month.

I rejoiced when they cut my benefits, I never wanted them in the first place. It was a great opportunity to get free. All I have left to get rid of is subsidized housing.

And that brings me to the despair I feel when it comes to the future. My great hope, the light at the end of the tunnel was the 50% spousal benefit I would get once I turned 66 and he eventually departed. I've heard different versions of what I will receive, from the 50% to next to nothing.

I'm planning to move back to the city because the small town I live in now has 0 resources. It's God's waiting room. Abandon all hope all ye who take up residence here.

God willing I'll live another 30 years, I just need to get out of here.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:29 PM

I think $817 off your ex husband's account is pretty good. I would think medicare would know if he died Be no bills coming through. He will most likely die in a hospital and they send in records I would guess;
Old 07-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Master Pontificator

The only $ coming from my ex's account is $186. The rest is my SS and supplemental SS. No disability. He's getting $4,000+ a month, 50% would be a nice income for me.

You've no doubt read of dead people continuing to receive SS for YEARS before SS catches on. Besides, I haven't used my Medicare in years, but I'm very much alive. I did recently buy an Aetna supplement, so there is some activity on the account.

He could also die at home, in his sleep and be buried on his property.

He's not one for rule following, neither is wifey.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:54 PM

We can die anywhere. Our time can be anytime and we never know.I have out lived my brother and two sister in age. 63, 56. 72. I am 84. 3 of their kids has gone.

Yes I have heard of dead people drawing SS. rare. .
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
The only $ coming from my ex's account is $186. The rest is my SS and supplemental SS. No disability. He's getting $4,000+ a month, 50% would be a nice income for me.

You've no doubt read of dead people continuing to receive SS for YEARS before SS catches on. Besides, I haven't used my Medicare in years, but I'm very much alive. I did recently buy an Aetna supplement, so there is some activity on the account.

He could also die at home, in his sleep and be buried on his property.

He's not one for rule following, neither is wifey.
You sure about that amount? Everything I have read is today SS Max is just under $3,000 a month and that is if your income was the Max amount for 35 years.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You sure about that amount? Everything I have read is today SS Max is just under $3,000 a month and that is if your income was the Max amount for 35 years.
I was given the info a few years ago by a very talkative SS rep. He said my benefit amount would be $2,038 a month if I were eligible for it at that time. Things may have changed or he could have been mistaken. The ex worked full time for 40 years.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I was given the info a few years ago by a very talkative SS rep. He said my benefit amount would be $2,038 a month if I were eligible for it at that time. Things may have changed or he could have been mistaken. The ex worked full time for 40 years.
I do not know much about the divorced draw rate. You best bet is to educate yourself on what you are entitled to. Know more than the SS office knows. Make copies of what you read on their own site. If you got information from a site other than SS you need to find that information on their site to verify it is still current.

This is from their website. Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. The benefits do not include any delayed retirement credits your ex-spouse may receive.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

Note: If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the divorced spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date. If your birthday is January 2, 1954 or later, the option to take only one benefit at full retirement age no longer exists. If you file for one benefit, you will be effectively filing for all retirement or spousal benefits

Note: If your former spouse is deceased and you need information about possible survivor benefits, please read, "If You're the Worker's Surviving Divorced Spouse."

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html
Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Master Pontificator

Thanks, Bones. When I turn 66 and if SS still exists and the world hasn't ended, I'll pursue this in earnest.

My original question was about finding out when he dies because he's now living in another country. SS told me to keep tabs on him, but it's getting tougher.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 AM
Master Pontificator

SS is automatically deposited to a bank account. Once the bank is aware of the death they will return the funds to SS. Also, in order to collect the death benefit notification of death must be made. Plus what you were told about foreign national having to register with their embassy. Its unlikely his death will go unreported.

As long as current spouse is on Facebook and unaware that you're reading it, that is probably your best source of information.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Default UPDATE JUNE 21,2017

SS sent me a condolence letter the other day. I was shocked, I hadn't expected to hear from them about my ex passing away. I'm entitled to some money, so they're sending me the paperwork to fill out. They didn't have any details to share other than he died on June 10.

We haven't had contact in 14 years, but I still found myself grieving. We were married for 22 years. When I searched for info on him online, the usual people search pages showed up. Although he remarried in 2010, his current wife is not listed as a possible relative, I am. It makes me wonder if they were legally married.

I have outlived 2 ex husbands. The adventure continues...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:49 AM

I hope you get every penny that is allowed to you.
Hang in there.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 PM

Sorry for your loss, and now you know the answer to the question you asked.

Hope your dealings with SS is easy and you receive your share.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sorry for your loss, and now you know the answer to the question you asked. Hope your dealings with SS is easy and you receive your share.
Thanks.
SS did follow through on notification.
No more marriages for me!