BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Default chicken illness

I am wndering if some of my chickens might be sick, a lot of them have an occasional gurgling sound when they breath and have since I got them, they are old battery hens so there combs were white when I got them and they were not the best looking birds (but other than poor housing I saw no sign of illness). there combs have all turned bright red and they are all energetic and chicken, but they still have a persistant gurgle sound. I thought mybe it was caused by their beaks being cut off mostly, other than this gurgle which has lasted for months, I still see no obvious sign of illness. any ideas whats up with them?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 AM

From your description it's a little difficult to understand what is going on. However, from my chicken-raising experience I know that when things go wrong with chickens, they go wrong fast. If this has lasted for months and your chickens are generally acting normal, are energetic, eat well and lay eggs, I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps this is in the range of normal sounds chickens make? Anyway I'd try to listen to your chickens' breath a little more closely and pay attention to any sneezing, coughing, eye discharge, or other potential signs of respiratory infection. If a particular bird seems under the weather, isolate it in the hopes to contain the illness and prevent it from spreading to the rest of your flock.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Master Pontificator

I can't isolate them, its half of them, and its been going on for months, it sounds like an occasional gurgling, almost like hacking up stuff caught in the back of their mouth, all the ones like this have their beaks clipped so I thought it was just something to do with ufiltered stuff being breathed in and building up.

since they are all looking healthy (except the 1 that wasn't, but I culled it already a long time ago) I have nothing else to go on for figuring this out, pick up and visually inspect them occasionally, when i do a head count at night.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Master Pontificator

also thought it might be normal chicken sounds distorted by lack of beaks (they mangled them and cut most of the beak off), I know if my lips were gone I could still talk but it would sound distorted
Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 AM

We've had some de-beaked hens before but I didn't notice any unusual sounds. Perhaps I wasn't paying very close attention though. It does sound possible in theory.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Master Pontificator

A couple of years ago we got a group of 15 laying hens that an old farmer was getting rid of. Soon after they came to us they started to look sick - they were making gurgling and crackling sounds like they were really congested. And their eyes looked watery. But we had paid for them, and they seemed otherwise normal - so we just left them, and after a while they all became healthy and seemed to breathe normally.

We never could figure out if they had reacted badly to an existing germ that was on our property (we had half a dozen birds already), or if the old farmer got rid of them because he saw they were getting sick. But it doesn't matter in the end, because they all recovered from whatever it was.

I know that isn't too helpful, but I just wanted to share my experience that a chicken with sounds of congestion isn't necessarily a goner.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I always tell patients that infections only last one week: you either kill the bugs or the bugs kill you, but either way, it's over in a week. If the symptoms last more than one week, it ain't an infection ( alright--TB lasts more than one week. Do chickens get TB?)

Maybe they got that measles-thee-lee-oma they keep talking about on TV? Maybe they can get rich by suing?

I bet you're right about having some trouble swallowing because they're beakless and stuff goes down the wrong pipe frequently.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I am just curious about how the chickens are doing now? I had bought a few "new" chickens once and introduced them to the flock. Stupid move. I had dozens do the gurgling thing and die. I lost half of a flock or more. The vet said it tested out as coccystridia (sp?) I was afraid we were going to be quarantined or something horrible. It was horrible. They were dropping like flies.
I think in chickens though, a lot of things start out with gurgling that way. It's like a cough in humans that can be anything. Chickens are tough. They seem to die easily. I know I had antibiotics in the water and was taking the stupid things to the vet. Cost me a fortune. I did learn that when they say NEVER introduce new chickens to the flock until they have been quarantined, they tell the truth. I was literally taking chickens to the vet to get antibiotic shots at first, along with putting it in the water.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Master Pontificator

all still alive and looking good, they still make that gurgle sound though, all have bright eyes, red combs, and clean feathers, just treated a few of them for scaly leg mites but other than that there is no change, they all look good, are alert and active, they just have a lot of gurgling sounds and occasionally hack up a lugie. after all the time with no other sign of illness I think its just that they have their beaks cut off and its so dusty at my place (very dry this year and lots of bare dirt and dust about), I think they can't prefilter the dust with their beaks clipped and they end up hacking it up.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Glad to hear your birds are doing okay! But sad about their beaks. Poor things.