BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 AM

Thumbs up

How old are your school age kiddos? Maybe get them to help as you start to set this stuff up and explain what and why your doing it. Let them do some of the things your talking about Great opportunity to help teach them some of the basics about being an entrepreneur and sales and marketing. Not to mentions teaching them how to give back and about compassion for their neighbors and friends. All are excellent life lessons to serve them for a lifetime, at least IMHO.

Out of curiosity, have your friends spoken to their kids and actually "asked" for help or a hand? Or like everything else they seem to be doing are they just hoping their kids will take notice? You know like "hey think you could drop by for a few hours Thurs night to help with X?" or "could you (or y'all) come by to help your Dad/ Mom do XYZ on Saturday; Think you could help us out and take a few hours Saturday at the farmers market. etc... Your right in that I'm sure their kids are busy with their own lives and clueless to their parents plight. But, maybe if Mom & Dad ask, it will highlight to them just how much their parents really are in need. I sort of think that as children we often think our parents can "handle it" or they have everything "under control". After all they usually have for our entire lives.

It says a lot about you and your husband that your willing to care enough about your friends to take on this uncomfortable challenge to try and help improve their situation.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGuy View Post
How old are your school age kiddos? Maybe get them to help as you start to set this stuff up and explain what and why your doing it.

Out of curiosity, have your friends spoken to their kids and actually "asked" for help or a hand?
My two eldest are only 7 and 5, but I guess it's not too early to begin learning business management!

I'm not sure exactly if or how they had actually spoken to their kids. I just know that practically, they are slugging it out alone for the most part. Older kids living at home help out with housework, cooking, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the kids resent the farm for taking up both their parents' entire time and energy. But this is just speculation.

So, we'll keep trying to do what we can for them, while treading the fine line between helping and letting people mind their own business.