BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 PM

Default garden

My garden is all but done, canned the last of tomato juice today and made 30 quarts of spaghetti sauce last week. Second cropped green beans and carrots today. I should have got them planted a week ago but it should be alright. Next year I am going to get cabbage plants started and plant them again the first of September, they do really well in the fall because the heat does not get them.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Frost warnings here tonight, so our garden may truly be done except for the root crops and the Brussels Sprouts. We've been canning and drying like crazy recently also, but our long winter season will soon be upon us.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:55 PM

Default garden

I never thought about how short your growing season would be. When can you usually plant by in the spring? Her in the Midwest west we do not get a hard freeze until November, if we get a light frost I will cover beans, but will only have a few days that I have to do this. I hope to pick pears and apples this week, and that will about end the season. We have a lot of work in the garden this fall, cleaning the grass and weeds out of it that with all the rain this summer, really got away from us.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I usually start everything but the root crops indoors-Onions and celery in February, peppers in March, tomatoes and the cole crops in April, corn and the cucurbits in May. We also have low tunnels over many warm weather crops until they bloom and need pollination. We try to pre-sprout beans and such to give them a head start too.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Master Pontificator

didn't have a garden this year myself, had too many logs in the one spot, the truck was in the shop for 2 months and I couldn't get to work on my old lot, so spent the year getting the orchard and sugarbush cleaned up, and doing the prepwork for a huge garden next year
Old 10-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Sounds like you had a bountiful year! So glad for you.