BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:22 AM

Talking Study shows Trees have own Social Network?!

So my brother-in-law pointed this out to me. He's a tree guy, actually he does it professionally and he posted an article on his company site and mentioned about how trees actually communicate and form their own social circles.

Anyways I was reading his article where he mentioned it and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Here's the article from NYTimes if anyone is interested. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/wo...works-too.html

Learn something new everyday I guess.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

A man after my own hart! Though the reason the 2 trees do not shade each other is because each branch grows towards the light, and if they grew into each others branches they would be growing into the shade. And, branches don't do that.

Forests are interdependent. I know a little because when I was a kid we went on nature walks that were guided by a ranger: this man apparently knows more than I do. Though he makes it sound like trees have feelings, and they do not. He can call the trees "Buddies" all he wants, but the truth is they are simply in equilibrium. They protect other from high winds, cover each others roots with nourishing leaves, and in general they are stronger together than apart.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The cited article proves once again that journalists are stupid. It's true studies have shown trees intertwine at the roots, "communicating" and "helping" each other, and neighboring trees are exposed to the same local environmental factors, so they each would each respond in the same way to changes. OTOH- a recent study also showed that trees growing near to each other but with root systems not overlapping, somehow communicate: one tree is exposed to drought or excess water and the partner responds as if it were exposed to that condition.

Terri is right about the web of life. That's the concept behind the Gaia Theory: Earth as a whole can be considered a single life form. Just as the white cells, red cells, liver cells, etc etc "live their own lives," not "knowing" each other exists, their interaction allows the whole organism to survive.

Twain had Puddinghead Wilson once say about an annoyng dog, "If I owned half that dog, I'd kill my half."