BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Default No Fridge Longterm

Has anyone gone longterm without a fridge?

I have been without a fridge since May. To cook all I have is an autoshut-off electric kettle and an autoshut-off little egg cooker.

I've been doing a lot of thermos cooking, and I can steam little cakes and breads in the egg cooker if they can be cooked in the time it takes to hard boil an egg. I don't think the egg cooker is actually allowed in my hotel, but I think management will continue to turn a blind eye to it for me.

I like where I am living for now. I'm tucked away in one of a few stripped down hotel rooms in a fancy high-rise building in a luxury neighborhood of a big city. I guess management gets a tax break for tucking a few of us away in a back corner. I'm near parks, shopping, hospitals, a gorgeous library and able to survive on foot mostly without even having to pay for subway.

I really don't know what I am doing next year, but will be here for the winter.

It seems like most people without a fridge have an ability to boil for long periods. Long cooking in a thermos is tricker than it looks, expecially if you can not dump and reheat the contents.

I've been eating a lot of canned and fresh food, mostly just at room temperature, but my income looks like it might be getting cut again by over $100.00 a month, so I'm reevaluating everything I am doing.

I've gotten used to powdered milk again. I grew up on it as a child overseas. Boxed cereal is cheap. And it is a long walk, but I found an affordable source of powdered milk and it is light to carry home. I often add chopped fresh and dry fruit and nuts.

I'm stocked up on instant oatmeal and that cooks great in a thermos. I often add some raw nuts.

I haven't gotten sick from eggs left out for a week, even though they have been refrigerated and washed. Fingers crossed I can keep doing that.

Open peanutbutter is supposed to be eaten in 2 weeks unrefrigerated, right? What about jam?

I found a cheap source of vienna sausages and stocked up. I ate those as a kid, so they are tolerable.

My tastebuds are kinda used to roughing it right now, probably as this isn't entirely new to me. I never went this long without both a fridge and ability to at least boil for an extended period, though, and on a supertight budget.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

No idea what thermos cooking is.... Have you considered a hot plate which can be purchased new for only 10 or 12 bucks? You could then not only boil eggs, but warm up soup, make pasta, fry ground beef, etc etc. I lived for more than two yrs as a student on just salad, tuna fish, spaghetti, hamburger, soup and hot dogs.

The European style, as you probably know, is to shop daily for perishables-- not exactly the prepper style most of us here are striving for, but you do what you gotta do.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:33 PM

Peanut butter does not need to be refrigerated and last a long time even when opened. Takes me a month to finish off a jar and I never refrigerate it.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:03 PM

Default Cooking

A small or regular size slow cooker is nice too.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Get a hot plate and a crock pot to cook with.

Also get the best biggest cooler you can afford. Hotel must have free ice? You're good to go.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:01 PM

! am not well today: I will likely add more later. Possibly in a couple of days.

Ordinary rice can be cooked in a thermos, and it does well. I first put boiling water in the thermos to heat it, then I dumped it out and added measured water, salt, and ordinary rice. Then I closed it up and let it sit for a few hours, at which time it was hot and cooked.

I make an excellent fried rice, and you probably can as well. Mix a chopped egg, the cooked rice, some canned meat, and soy. Top with crunchy nuts and perhaps some diced vegetables like celery.

Do you have dehydrated onion? Fried rice is always better with onion to give it more flavor. I like to half-cook the raw onion in a skillet to mix with my fried rice, but if you had dried onion I bet you could put it in the thermos when you put the rice in.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 AM

Default Yes

Summer in college the cafeteria was closed, so I had to fend for myself.
A camp stove and packaged meals were common then. No leftovers.

Same thing when I lived in a house trailer for a while.
It did not come with a refrigerator , and I didn't buy one.
All meals had no leftovers. Canned or dried items only.
Fresh fruit / veggies were in small quantities only.
The garden helped with that. They kept fresher in the dirt !
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 PM

We lived in a camper with a non-working fridge for several months. We used a couple of ice chests and had a source of free ice for only part of the time.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone.

Hotplates are grounds for eviction. The only fully approved small appliance is an auto-shut off coffee maker. I'm pushing it with the auto-shut off kettle and egg maker.

If we have ice in the building, and I bet we do somewhere, it is in an area I'm not supposed to be. It is a little weird here, with the mix in income and variety of types of units.

Red lentils were suggested to me as a quick cooking legume. Also to dehydrate vegetables, and if unable to blanche them first to run them through a coffee grinder.

I do have a good source of dehydrated onions and parsley.

Soy sauce is on my list. I do want to make some rice this weekend.

I got some parmesan cheese.

I watched a video for steamed sticky rice. And a few other videos here and there. It looks like food can be rehydrated and cooked in separate steps. I can get previously rehdrated food up to boiling water temperature for about 16 minutes, before it turns off. That will cause the chemical changes of cooking.

I'm seriously thinking about a snack size dehydrater and a coffee grinder.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Peanut butter and jam

I remember growing up on the farm in the 40's and we had no electric. If the jam got moldy Mom just to a spoon and scooped out the mold and we ate the rest.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Default no fridge

Check this out
http://www.askaprepper.com/living-wi...ator-can-done/