Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Arts & Crafts > Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting/Needlepoint

Old 12-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Nightcap directions or pattern?

I'm interested in possibly making an old-fashioned nightcap to wear at night. I'm interested in something that would cover my head and ears and hopefully not slip off during the night. Was thinking of something that would have elastic around the outside similar to a shower cap but maybe with a ruffle hanging down. I want something simple since I will have to make it by hand so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: Nightcap directions or pattern?

I "borrowed" my granddaughters copy of "Inside Laura's Little House" (Little House On The Prairie, etc.) for the instructions for Mary and Laura's Nightcaps. This particular one ties under the jaw. - Karen

Cotton fabric, 15 x 36-inches
Large safety pin
1 yard of 1/4-inch wide ribbon
1 yard of 1/2-inch wide ribbon

1. Hem the two short (15-inch) edges of the fabric by turning each edge under about 1/4-inch, pinning it in a few places if necessary. Press the edge with an iron. Turn each edge under again, press then hand stitch the edges.

2. Fold the edges of the two long (36-inch) sides down 1/4 inch, then press.

3. Fold one of the long sides down again 3/4-inch wide and press. Hand stitch the hem close to the edge. This will form a space called a casing through which the 1/4-inch ribbon will go.

4. Fold the other long side down 2 inches and hem it as you did in step 3. Stitch another row 3/4-inch from the hem stitch (a running stitch). This will form a casing for the 1/2-inch ribbon as well as a ruffel to frame your face.

5. Pin the large safety pin to one end of the 1/4-inch wide ribbon and slide it all the way through the narrow casing. Remove the pin. Adjust the ends of the ribbon so they are equal. Gather the material along the ribbon to form the back of the nightcap. Tie the ribbon ends into a bow.

6. Pin the large safety pin to one end of the 1/2-inch wide ribbon and slide it all the way through the wider casing. Remove the pin. Adjust the ends of the ribbon so they are equal. Gather the material along the ribbon to form the ruffled front of the nightcap.

7. Put on the nightcap and tie the front ribbons under your chin. Adjust the front and back gathers to fit your head.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Rose -
The "shower cap" type is similar to the surgical caps that my neice wears as a surgeons's assistant. Since there are no regs about what kind of fabric they must be made of, my sis makes lots of them for her. When they're doing surgery on a child, she wears one with a funny print and you'd be surprised how that small touch puts a child at ease.

Here's how: make a circle about 21-22" across. Hem all around the outside, leaving a small place open to insert the elastic. Cut the elastic just 18" or so smaller than your head (No need to measure, just wrap it around there where it will go, and pull it just a little tighter. You don't want it TOO tight!)

She threads the elastic through using a safety pin hooked to one end to pull it with. Sew the two ends together and finish up the little gap left to put in the elastic.

If you want a ruffle, I believe you could make it just that much longer (23 or 24" in diameter) and just stitch the elastic 2" inside the hemmed edge of the circle. You could also cover the elastic with a piece of bias-cut fabric if you don't want it against your hair.

To fit this right, you'd want to make a quick one out of scraps to see how big it needs to be to be comfortable for you.

Last edited by CarolAnn; 09-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Thanks Shamrock 1121 and CarolAnn I appreciate both sets of instructions. I must admit that I'll probably try the style Carol Ann suggested simply for the fact that it wouldn't tie under the chin. I've got this weird thing that when I have something tied there, say a scarf or the like, it makes me feel like I'm choking. I HATE that feeling and for that reason I can't wear anything with a turtle neck or mock turtle neck and if something comes up too far against my throat, even like a tee shirt neckline, I spend a good bit of my time pulling it away from my throat. I never had this problem until '67 so I'm wondering if it's a delayed psychological reaction to when my step-father used to grab me by the throat and push me up against the wall when I'd done something wrong. Sorry to get off track here.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Don't bother:they all come off. I just pull a towel or a shawl or a whatever will do over my head and ear, when I am laying on my side, and it is still there in the morning: keeps mosquitoes off, too.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

There's a pattern on knitty.com for one, which I've had a go at. Watch your tension (gauge), though, as it knits up quite large.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/FEATfall08SIT.html

I did mine in cream cotton; takes a lot of knitting, but a nice result.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Inactive Member

Mrs. L.... I have a question.

In the nightcap directions... for the edging... they use the abbreviation "skp". I know most such as SK2P, SSK, SSP, but I've never seen just SKP. On the Knitty website, they don't list that abbreviation. Is it supposed to be "SLP"?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Inactive Member

Mrs. L....

Nevermind. This redhead was having a "blonde" moment! ;D

I realized it was the same as s1, k1, psso.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM

When we're camping a toboggan / ski cap /stocking hat (not sure of the right term for all areas) works just fine. One that's a little large will come down over my ears nicely. Keeps my head toasty warm.

Discount stores are the best economical store, unless you spot them at yard sales, etc.

Lee
Old 06-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Night caps........

Problem I used to have with winter camping was when I rolled around the stocking cap would come off and I would wake up cold from a bare head.

Solution I found was to ware a winter hard hat liner with a chin strap.

Good luck
Wyo
Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Problem I used to have with winter camping was when I rolled around the stocking cap would come off and I would wake up cold from a bare head.

Solution I found was to ware a winter hard hat liner with a chin strap.

Good luck
Wyo
ROFL.... and I thought I was the only one guy in the world that wore a hard hat liner to bed in the winters! LOL
Old 06-19-2009, 05:04 AM

Good idea, though. It doesn't get that cold here at nights, though, even in the depths of winter. Thing is aboutmaking your own, you can customise it to your exact requirements - ear flaps, chin strap, etc.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:58 PM

You are right about the hard hat liner being warm. My brother gave me one when I had to travel in winter weather. Kept it in the truck in case of breakdowns.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Oh gosh, at first I thought a hard hat liner was the plastic framework that is adjustable to make the hat fit the person...was trying to picture wearing that to bed..and quickly realized, it must be some kind of a fabric toque type thing!