BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM
randallhilton's Avatar
randallhilton Male randallhilton is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 1,443
Default Pool Salt

I'm not sure which section to ask this in but this one makes sense.

I want to lay in a few hundred pounds of salt for the myriad uses salt has. Apparently, swimming pool salt is "pure", without additives (not iodized ) and, from what I gather, is coarser than table salt.

At $6 for 40# it seems reasonably priced. What are your thoughts?
__________________

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,522
Default

Why so much salt?

RDA is only 2gm/d so 1 lb should last ~9 months for each person for cooking-- and unless you eat sea food several times each week regularly, you need the added Iodine in table salt to avoid growing a goiter.

As a melting agent/de-icer, NaCl isn't all that good-- only effective at temps above 20degF or so http://www.peterschemical.com/break-...ing-chemicals/

But it is cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Spiritbear Male Spiritbear is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 28
Default

From what I have read pool salt like Morton's pool salt is just 100% pure salt. The equipment used to process and bag it isn't FDA food grade so there could be impurities in it but should be OK to consume. It should last forever if kept dry and clean and could be a barter item at some point since it is something we all need.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 PM
backlash's Avatar
backlash Male backlash is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dry side of Washington
Posts: 1,930
Default

Salt at one time was almost as valuable as gold.
Having a good supply of salt could be a very good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 AM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Salt at one time was almost as valuable as gold.
Having a good supply of salt could be a very good thing.
Roman legionaires were paid in salt (Latin: sal), hence our word salary.

Some "pool salt" may have additives to stabilize the chlorine, so read the label to see if it's really pure NaCl or not.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 857
Default

I use less than a pint of salt a year, I never add it to anything, I know its important but I don't see needing that much of it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 AM
CountryGuy's Avatar
CountryGuy CountryGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Why so much salt?
Brinning, salt curing meat???

I'm not to sure on what impurities or if any additives might be added to pool salt. I'd check some of the companies websites and even the bags. I'm betting if it's from Morton, it's food grade coming out of the same plant as the rest of their salt. Likely just doesn't get dosed with iodine.

Might want to look at water softener salt crystals. Not saying any more "pure" but since is in contact with water think would need to have some level of food safety required. I keep several bags spare for our softener and for "just in case". Only negative with it would be you would need to crush/ pulverize it your self.

I'd say email the companies but likely to CYOA they' will say no you should only buy food grade.

I would say check if you have any restaurant supply stores near you. Many sell to the public and you often can find 25-50lbs bags there for pretty cheap. some of the shopper clubs might also have it but to be honest I've never looked. I know they usually have huge bags of sugar.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2016, 03:29 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Default

We sometimes buy the "table salt in 25# bags to use as a produce wash. A salt water bath gets slugs and other creepy-crawly things out of the crevices in lettuce, cabbage, etc. I think the 25# bags were about $8 here, so they are probably much less than that where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

Some rural and/or semi-rural grocers here will carry the 25 lb bags of salt.

At the suggested guide of 10 lbs salt for culinary and personal use and 125 lbs salt for curing & processing per person per year, I have several hundred pounds of salt stored away in plastic containers (to preserve the integrity of the original packages), in addition to a few hundred pounds of the water softener variety for animals. I try and maintain six 50 lb salt block available for the animals year round, with a few reserve (stored) salt blocks also on hand. One block each of plain, sulfur, and mineral salt displayed free choice in a covered trough at two separate locations about the place.

Since the blocks are for animals I did not take a lot of extra precaution in storing the blocks, until some fire ants found my supply. They did not bother the sulfur or mineral blocks, but much to my surprise and dismay they were definitely colonizing and eating the plain blocks. So one has to protect every thing they have in storage, because something (or someone) will want it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
A salt water bath gets slugs and other creepy-crawly things out of the crevices in lettuce, cabbage, etc.
Not something you want to do for produce or other edibles, but having a constant problem with slugs ourselves.

We must live on a slug mountain. In the spring and summer months when the slugs are most active, I take the liquid laundry detergent bottles the wife saves for me when they are empty and fill them about 1/3 full of warm water and armed with a good bright flashlight and a pair of large long tweezers I will make several rounds through the garden and flower beds each night eliminating slugs. A slug dropped into the soapy water, dies faster than being dropped into a salt brine solution, I believe.

After collecting a few slugs the tweezers will need to be wiped free of the slug slime, so I carry a couple paper towels in my pocket for that task.

I often average more than a 100 slugs per week, but their numbers seem to be never ending.

By the way, we have tried the slug bait and that only seems to concentrate their numbers, leading to the conclusion slug & fire ant baits both are nothing less than growth & reproductive hormones for each species being marketed to an unsuspecting consumer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2017, 05:35 AM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Not something you want to do for produce or other edibles, but having a constant problem with slugs ourselves.

We must live on a slug mountain. In the spring and summer months when the slugs are most active, I take the liquid laundry detergent bottles the wife saves for me when they are empty and fill them about 1/3 full of warm water and armed with a good bright flashlight and a pair of large long tweezers I will make several rounds through the garden and flower beds each night eliminating slugs. A slug dropped into the soapy water, dies faster than being dropped into a salt brine solution, I believe.

After collecting a few slugs the tweezers will need to be wiped free of the slug slime, so I carry a couple paper towels in my pocket for that task.

I often average more than a 100 slugs per week, but their numbers seem to be never ending.

By the way, we have tried the slug bait and that only seems to concentrate their numbers, leading to the conclusion slug & fire ant baits both are nothing less than growth & reproductive hormones for each species being marketed to an unsuspecting consumer.

Slugs are one of the few real pasts we have. Without washing the produce with saltwater, we risk eating quite a number of them. We have found no trouble soaking the leafy produce in saltwater, as it drives the slugs out of hiding, and we wash all produce afterward with fresh water. We are talking about harvested goods here, not the stuff still growing. We can kill hundreds of slugs a day if the weather is wet. I found a slug bait that actually works. It is made by Ortho, but only has sulfur as an active ingredient. I never use the chemical stuff as it is so toxic to everything. Ortho has a non-toxic reformulation that is labeled as safe for wildlife and pets but really works. We also go out in rainy weather and use a flamer between the rows to kill hundreds if not thousands, of slugs crawling between plants.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Slugs are one of the few real pasts we have. Without washing the produce with saltwater, we risk eating quite a number of them. We have found no trouble soaking the leafy produce in saltwater, as it drives the slugs out of hiding, and we wash all produce afterward with fresh water. We are talking about harvested goods here, not the stuff still growing. We can kill hundreds of slugs a day if the weather is wet. I found a slug bait that actually works. It is made by Ortho, but only has sulfur as an active ingredient. I never use the chemical stuff as it is so toxic to everything. Ortho has a non-toxic reformulation that is labeled as safe for wildlife and pets but really works. We also go out in rainy weather and use a flamer between the rows to kill hundreds if not thousands, of slugs crawling between plants.
You apparently have a larger slug problem than we do, and I did not think that was possible. Here after a shower, it is not uncommon to catch as many in one night as a normal week. But as the catch continues week after week, the large ones are just as prevalent as smaller slugs.

Sometimes it seems as if three replace every slug eliminated, which makes it almost a loosing proposition to even fight them.

We have an Arizona Ash in the back yard. It was advertised as a rapid growing thick foliage shade tree. It lived up to the advertisement, but it is such a magnet for slugs, I have threatened cutting it down. Slugs head for it a dusk and only come back down just before dawn. Apparently they eat buds or young tender leaves, I don't really know what the trees attraction really is, and I have never seen another tree slugs are attracted to around here, but the Arizona Ash most definitely attracts slugs.

I rarely ever saw a slug where I grew up, and that continues to the present, but just a few hundred miles further west, where we principally reside, slugs are a major nuisance.

Just out of curiosity Don, how much slime is left on the soil after using the torch/flame on the slugs? Or do you maintain the heat long enough to dry out or evaporate their slime also?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
You apparently have a larger slug problem than we do, and I did not think that was possible. Here after a shower, it is not uncommon to catch as many in one night as a normal week. But as the catch continues week after week, the large ones are just as prevalent as smaller slugs.

Sometimes it seems as if three replace every slug eliminated, which makes it almost a loosing proposition to even fight them.

We have an Arizona Ash in the back yard. It was advertised as a rapid growing thick foliage shade tree. It lived up to the advertisement, but it is such a magnet for slugs, I have threatened cutting it down. Slugs head for it a dusk and only come back down just before dawn. Apparently they eat buds or young tender leaves, I don't really know what the trees attraction really is, and I have never seen another tree slugs are attracted to around here, but the Arizona Ash most definitely attracts slugs.

I rarely ever saw a slug where I grew up, and that continues to the present, but just a few hundred miles further west, where we principally reside, slugs are a major nuisance.

Just out of curiosity Don, how much slime is left on the soil after using the torch/flame on the slugs? Or do you maintain the heat long enough to dry out or evaporate their slime also?
Our slugs get really bad after a heavy snow year. Apparently fewer eggs survive a cold dry winter. Dry summers slow them as well, but when the rainy season starts in August, they come out of everywhere.

When I use the torch, I just slowly move it over the soil between the rows. They seem to kinda burst if you do it right--very satisfying. I don't want to burn out the organic matter in the soil. We also use a dilute ammonia/Murphy's oil soap spray that kills them pretty well without harming the plants.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:21 PM
backlash's Avatar
backlash Male backlash is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dry side of Washington
Posts: 1,930
Default

When I lived on the wet side of the state I would put beer in an old plate.
They seem to be drawn to it and it kills them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
When I lived on the wet side of the state I would put beer in an old plate.
They seem to be drawn to it and it kills them.
We have tried the beer thingy also and, it did trap & drown a few slugs, but considering the cost of beer it was a very expensive method. Overall I would only rate it 2 stars out of a possible ten, with 10 being the best results possible and zero no results. Others might get better results than we did, but we obtained mediocre success at best using beer.

The most disgusting thing with or about the slugs are the slime trails they leave behind, and they apparently can go anywhere & everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2017, 01:59 PM
papa bear papa bear is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 384
Default

I am a little bit curious about the people that are criticizing the OP wanting to stock up on salt. I am wondering I you are being sarcastic or dont know the uses of salt. This is a preparedness forum, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
backlash's Avatar
backlash Male backlash is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dry side of Washington
Posts: 1,930
Default

Was at some friends house and their 2 year old daughter put a slug in her mouth.
Her Mom kept gagging as she was trying to clean the slim out.
She had to use a cloth soaked in salt water and it took quite awhile.
I laughed so hard I hurt for days.
Saw the daughter 20 years later and asked her if she had eaten any slugs lately.
She had no idea what I was talking about so I had to tell her the story.
She started gagging just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

Children will eat and drink some awful things. But your story about the child attempting to eat a slug is definitely one for the record books!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Tinker Tinker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zone 9a
Gender: Male
Posts: 40
Default

I wonder about loading up some of those round balls of salt in a shotgun shell or black powder smoothbore?

Anybody here done that?

Tinker
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Jjr's Avatar
Jjr Male Jjr is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NWLA
Posts: 837
Default

I have heard of it being did, whether true or not I don't know.

I would not myself, with a good quality weapon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.