BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Rim Fire Reloaders

Has anyone tried the .22 rim fire (or .22 MWR) reloader offered for sale in the advertisements along the right hand margin of this forums pages.

I have watched the video clip and read one article, but mixing the priming agent seems to be a little tricky. Getting the process mastered might not be that difficult, but was wondering if anyone could provide some actual first hand personal experience using the rim fire reloaders.

Last edited by Jjr; 11-05-2016 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Have seen them as well....and get the listing in several catologs...CH Kadels being one.

http://www.chkadels.com/22LR-Reloading-Kit-34071

Not sure as you still need to buy he chemicals for the primer, have to have powder, and you are pour your own bullets...

Haven't heard if they cycle the action in auto loaders....like 10/22.....and lead bullets may lead up the bore.......???

Don't see a advantage of these kits......?

Any one else?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Rim fire ammo seems to be coming down in price some at present and if it drops a little further, I hope to resume purchasing more .22 rim fire ammo, possible in preference to dealing with the rim fire reloading application.

In a worst case situation the Rim Fire Reloader could be very advantageous to have. The priming compound seems to be the critical step in reloading the rim fire cartridges, but with practice one should be capable of becoming skilled in mixing the priming compound and priming the rim fire cases.

Using cast bullets under such circumstances would not be a problem for me, however I would hope to stock quite a few jacked .22 center fire bullets for use in the rim fire reloading process. A standard .22 long rifle bullet has a diameter of .223 - .2255, which places the .224 diameter center fire bullets right in the middle and well within range of use, especially in an older used rim fire barrel.

Being able to remove the old indentation in the used rim fire case, would be desirable, but a problem not insurmountable.

Reloading the .22 Rim Fire Cartridges, appears to be a very labor intensive & time consuming process, which does have a negative impact on the process, at least for me.

Someone with actual experience can shed some light on all of these points discussed, which brings me back to the original quest to find someone who has one of the kits or at least has used one of the rim fire reloading kits.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:50 PM

I have read that the priming compound is corrosive.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've only read the advertisements for the equipment to do this..

I'm going to presume cost, time, reliability of the ammo, and such would make it not a good choice for a lot of situations.. Or large quantity needs..

Definately an interesting winter hobby kind of thing just to prove you can do it yourself..

Anyone tries this BE SURE to report how it goes..
Good luck.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Default .22 LR Reloading

I watched just about every youtube videos and it looks like it is very time consuming and very unpredictable. They show that not every reload works and there were several fail to fires experienced. Here in Louisiana our .22lr availability has returned and it is plentiful and in stock at almost all Walmarts for around a nickel a round. Online has availability for about 4.5 cents a round. WMR is somewhat available but still not building up stocks anywhere. For a nickel a round I am not going to reload any.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 11-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have always understood that, while it is a theoretically simpler process, in practice it is more difficult. That is why only a few manufacturers like CCI do it on a commercial scale--hence the limited capacity that led to a paucity of product for a while. I guess it is a little like manufacturing your own primers for center-fire reloading.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM

The one place it could make sense to me is in using the priming compound with a tap o cap percussion cap maker for muzzle loading rifles, revolvers.

I have tried to make percussion caps with tap o cap and toy caps cut out with very little success. The priming compound might work better.

Of course I tired of the process and just bought 5,000 factory caps!

z
Old 11-18-2016, 01:45 PM

To me certain things just seem like a waste to even attempt, and realoading .22 is one such endeavor. The cost of the reloading supplies in this case just aren't worth the little reward.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
To me certain things just seem like a waste to even attempt, and realoading .22 is one such endeavor. The cost of the reloading supplies in this case just aren't worth the little reward.
....And the fact you still have to BUY the compounds for the primer...Have brass and lead.
Maybe not a good idea in true SHTF when resupply isn't an option......

Flint lock muzzleloader seem a better investment.

I'm spending my money on bricks of .22 when ever possible.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
I watched just about every youtube videos and it looks like it is very time consuming and very unpredictable. They show that not every reload works and there were several fail to fires experienced.
I have been reading & watching video's like wise. The accuracy issue is a real bummer, and one or two negative issues can often be overcome or worked around, but reloading the rim rifle cases, at least at the present time, is looking more and more like a loosing proposition.

I would also like to hear a personal testimonial from someone having actually manipulating the process and their results.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
....And the fact you still have to BUY the compounds for the primer...Have brass and lead.
Maybe not a good idea in true SHTF when resupply isn't an option......

Flint lock muzzleloader seem a better investment.

I'm spending my money on bricks of .22 when ever possible.
Yep, exactly my point. And yes, the flintlock is the better investment. In this case all you need is lead and powder. Powder can be made at home if need be. Flint can be found along creek beds if you know what to look for, so the only item that need be bought is the lead, unless you have a source of free stuff. If not, its still easy to obtain.....
Old 11-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Yep, exactly my point. And yes, the flintlock is the better investment. In this case all you need is lead and powder. Powder can be made at home if need be. Flint can be found along creek beds if you know what to look for, so the only item that need be bought is the lead, unless you have a source of free stuff. If not, its still easy to obtain.....
Lead.....
Go to Walmart.....atke a wheel weight tool with you......Look for older cars....be sneaky.
lead.....

Bazinga....Joke......
But then again we are talking SHTF....no fuel, nothing runs....all sort of vehicles around with weights
Of course if you live in California....there may not be......
But then again....maybe not the best place to be?....lead wise, I mean?.....
You know...... copper bullets an such.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
Lead.....
Go to Walmart.....atke a wheel weight tool with you......Look for older cars....be sneaky.
lead.....

Bazinga....Joke......
But then again we are talking SHTF....no fuel, nothing runs....all sort of vehicles around with weights
Of course if you live in California....there may not be......
But then again....maybe not the best place to be?....lead wise, I mean?.....
You know...... copper bullets an such.
I normally scrounge behind the target boards at our club (when no one else is shooting mind) after I'm done for the day. I normally leave with more lead than I shot that day. I've done this every time I've shot there save a few times when others were still shooting.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Wink shooting range finds

Do this I too collect lead from ranges as needed. When you are melting them down do not toss the copper and brass bullets or jackets out. Give them a tap to remove as much lead as you can then set them in a separate can.

My last run to the scrap yard netted me 18.10 for 10 pounds. I was paid at #2 copper price.

Now to get those guys to pay for brass at a rate higher than .40c lb will be the trick. I told them you need a commodity number for cartridge brass as it is 70% copper 30% zinc. Not some old yellow brass price.