BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 11-16-2016, 04:12 PM

Default Electric wood splitter not splitting like before..

I've got a Ryobi 4 ton electric log splitter that doesn't seem to have enough power anymore. It has trouble or won't split wood that I know it used to be able to. Its about ten years old and maybe I guess its just getting tired. However could it be that maybe there is something I can do to get it to work better? Its got plenty of hydro fluid in it so its not that. Any advice appreciated.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have been curious about this kind of machine for a long time.. My thinking being not to use it as a primary splitter, but use to split wood into smaller stuff for the kitchen stove and kindling.. Cheaper and easier to operate than the gas driven splitter for this kind of small work.. Have never heard any reports about this kind of machine from anyone before now.. Glad you posted..
---
I have to wonder if your machine is at a point in life where the pump, or pump and motor are at a "high millage" state where one or both needs attention or replacement ??? Are parts like that available yet ??

Please do a follow up if/when you do any repairs or work on your machine and the outcome of your efforts..
Good luck..
Old 11-18-2016, 03:05 AM

Are there worn internal seals in the cylinder that could be leaking hydraulic oil past the piston?

By-pass around the control valve?

O rings somewhere in it that might need replaced?

Could air have gotten into the hydraulic fluid?

Do you have an exploded diagram of the insides of the unit? You may be able to deduce the problem from that. Otherwise, maybe see if any small engine repair places near you could work on it? Or maybe a tractor repair might have some idea of the problem.

I have a Sears brand electric splitter, I think the 7 ton, and I like it for smaller, drier pieces of wood, and I can lift it and sit it on the tailgate of my pickup and split smaller pieces of wood and not have to stoop over and strain my back. I cut small rounds, limb size, generally. I haven't had any issues with it but I am sure to turn the little wing nut closed when I'm done and I drain and replace the fluid every fall. I figure it doesn't hold much and can't hurt to change it. I figure some day a seal or ring will fail.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:21 PM

I'm planning to remove the cover on the back of the unit this weekend to see what I might be able to fix if anything. I can't for the life of me remember where the manual went. I found one online but it doesn't give much in the way of trouble shooting, other than to say if it won't split use smaller wood. Duh! I've probably split 6 or 8 cords of wood with this thing over the time I've had it, so I've definitely got my money's worth out of it if it is at the end of its life. I've split pieces from 2 inches up to 10 inches round with it and until this year it would split most anything in that size range. There were a few knarly pieces it just couldn't handle but you'd be surprised how powerful those little suckers are. Hey no big thing, if need be I'll simply replace it. The next one will be a 7 or 8 ton though just so I have more options in wood I can bring home.

Once I take the cover off the thing and check around inside I'll let you know what I find.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:49 AM

Nick
To be more specific... I'm thinking in the pump there are likely two 4 or 5 petal gears that kind of bite off a portion of oil and compress it on the other side of the gears to make pressure.. If-when those gears get worn or more likely the walls the gears run against get worn they let pressure leak by causing low discharge pressure from the pump..

A leak on one side or the other of the cylinder piston.. Maybe possible.. Usually accompanied by a shaft seal leak..

Can you hook up a meter and see if the motor is pulling high running amps ?? That may explain a motor problem, bearings etc..

Any kind of external oil leak would be obvious..

They make them in 7-8 ton capacity ?? No brainer..
Replace and good to go..