BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Default Raising guineafowl

My husband found a sad guinea languishing in a cage in a pet store and decided to rescue it and bring it home. I was never really into guineas, but now I've been won by this bird's quirky visage and how easily it gets along with my chickens and would like a couple more. However, I really know very little about guineas, can't even tell if the one I have is male or female. Anyone here keeps them?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

We used to have guineas and still would if we could keep them from being eaten. You can tell the sex by the sounds they make. Just google it. Guineas have to be touched and interacted with from hatching so they will get used to people. I think they are the cutest things. They also have to be trained to go to roost in their house otherwise they'll roost in trees and the great horned owls with get them. Ours would roost in their house and then suddenly one night decide to roost in the trees. Next morning, we'd be missing several. It was so frustrating. We finally got down to one male and he went to the neighbors' house because they had a female. He brought her to visit one day and then they never came back.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
Guineas have to be touched and interacted with from hatching so they will get used to people.
Hmm. Yes, the one my husband brought home is a bit wild. I guess if we ever hatch some keets we'll keep this advice in mind!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

hatching those keets has been my problem. have had 3 guineas for about 4 years now--first year, one of the hens disappeared for a while, and showed up one night with 3 little ones in tow. However, never saw the little ones again. Now the hens lay large clutches, and one sets them, but always, one sort of predator or another manages to steal/eat the eggs before they can hatch. Chicken snakes have been a big problem, and I suspect skunks and coons are not opposed to guinea egg either.

I'm considering getting an incubator set up, and stealing the eggs myself, but so many projects, so little time, and slowing down considerably as I move into my 70's

JVC
Old 11-28-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
hatching those keets has been my problem. have had 3 guineas for about 4 years now--first year, one of the hens disappeared for a while, and showed up one night with 3 little ones in tow. However, never saw the little ones again. Now the hens lay large clutches, and one sets them, but always, one sort of predator or another manages to steal/eat the eggs before they can hatch. Chicken snakes have been a big problem, and I suspect skunks and coons are not opposed to guinea egg either.

I'm considering getting an incubator set up, and stealing the eggs myself, but so many projects, so little time, and slowing down considerably as I move into my 70's

JVC
Wow, this does sound off-putting! I heard they don't use nesting boxes, either.

By the way, if anyone cares to try and tell if ours is a male or female, I put a photo up on my blog:

https://domesticfelicityblog.wordpre...-poultry-yard/

Not terribly high quality, but it's a very shifty bird...