BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default cold weather diesel start

some time ago, mabey a few years, a member was trying to make a 12 volt heater for his diesel truck, it may have been some other site. I have looked here, but can not find it.

he was posting about his idea and his progress as he developed the system to heat his pickups diesel motor to start in the winter weather.

if that member, or anyone else nowes where this was. please direct me to it
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
some time ago, mabey a few years, a member was trying to make a 12 volt heater for his diesel truck, it may have been some other site. I have looked here, but can not find it.

he was posting about his idea and his progress as he developed the system to heat his pickups diesel motor to start in the winter weather.

if that member, or anyone else nowes where this was. please direct me to it
I can't remember if I posted about it but I did, in fact, get a big 12v tractor battery and an electronic timer to simply turn on the block heater about an hour prior to my normal start time. It didn't work worth a flip and then someone stole the battery.

Instead . . .

I discovered that my '99 F350 super duty diesel has a relay which energizes the glow plugs. Apparently, my relay had gone bad several years ago because as far back as I could remember the truck did not want to start on cold mornings.

I replaced the relay and wonder of wonders, the truck would start right up after giving the glow plugs a few seconds to heat up. Problem solved!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Somebody told me about a trick that I've tried and it works, though my area doesn't not experience below zero temperatures.

For a normal cold startup, you turn the key to "ON", and wait till the glow plug light indicates "READY".

A trick that has worked for me is to switch immediately to "START", then back to "OFF", then back to "ON" again and wait for the glow plug light again.

The purpose of this is to get a little fuel inside the cylinder before the actual start, so the glow plug is heating both the cylinder and the fuel at the same time.

You then get a somewhat faster start when you crank on the second time because the already warmed fuel is easier to check fire.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM

very interesting , others are telling me, to build a glow plug on off switch, to bypass the factory relay, as you have stated. this is good to start in pretty cool weather.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 PM

If it started previously in cold weather and now it does not then I would say it is your Glow Plug system.

I have an old military blazer. This has a glow plug card that that controls how long the relay stays energized to the glow plugs. When this card would go bad and they became harder to find (now some body makes them) people would just bypass this with a push button to energize the glow plugs. Also you may have some bad glow plugs which are easy to check and replace.

Your relay could be bad mine just looks like an ford starter relay on the blazer.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 AM

This is exactly what was done on my F250 dsl. I had someone talk me through which wire to find, and I drilled a small hole through the lower panel, below the fuel tank front/back switch, and mounted an intermittent toggle switch that springs back when you let the pressure off. Glow plugs were also replaced as well as the wire that feeds the glow plugs from the solenoid as it was a bit cracked.

I later also installed a push button for the ignition beside the glow plug toggle switch. Turn the key, hit the push button to crank it, works great.

I'd like to see someone try to steal it.

Fortunately, my old truck has a built in block heater, which helps tremendously. You can buy aftermarket block heaters but they are costly.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:02 PM

My Duramax had a block heater and I didn't know it until I found a 110v plug and wire all wrapped up in a nice bag.
I'd p[lug it in after coming home from work and she'd be ready to go in the morning. Parking at work was different. She'd start but the engine sounded like a can of rocks.

We lived 7 miles south of lake Ontario and it always started with out any by-pass on the glo plugs.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:13 PM

Diesels work on the principle that compressing a gas causes its temperature to rise (PV =nRT). If you compress a flammable gas enough, it will reach its flash point and ignite without need for spark (as in a gasoline engine) or added "glow plug."

Cold temps make for thick oil which makes for slow turn-over on starting, so lower compression and low fuel temp results. Tough start.

A heated oil dip stick ($30 or less) turned on for 15 minutes prior to start is all that's usually needed to solve the problem. My 40 y/o tractor using this method started up on first crank the other day with outside temp 14*F and it hadn't been run for three weeks (although I do use a battery tender to keep the charge up).
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 PM

One night last winter , it was going below zero, when we stopped for the night, I drained the oil from the crank case into empty oil jugs, this was in a diesel pickup, I put them in a box by the heater that night, next morning I poured the warm oil back into the motor and it fired up with little hesitation. it turned over a lot faster.
I run 10W in it in the winter when its below 50.

there is starting fluid available, that is designed for diesels, it dosnt have either it it.