BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default European Husqvarna Rifle

A bit ago a young guy brought me a rifle he got this last late summer, early fall. He said it malfunctioned costing him a follow up shot on a young bull moose and the rifle has periodically failed to work since then. The moose was found and successfully harvested late that same day.

To the North American market this rifle is a Husqvarna 1600. Made as near as I can tell from the late 1940s to mid or late 1960s. This rifle by its markings, was clearly made and intended for the Swedish, northern Europe civilian market. It is marked Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB. The caliber mark is "30-06US". It is a very beautiful rifle. Low luster blue, oil finish European style stock. The wood very nice quality and the wood to metal finish is immaculate. The rifle bore was clean and bright. It desperately needed a detailed cleaning. This was accomplished easily as Mauser actions go.

The intermittent malfunction was a bit hard to spot but very easily fixed. In a bit of cosmoline at the front of the receiver where the bolt lugs turn there was a spent primer. Obviously the primer backed out of a case at one time and got stuck there.

The young guy showed me the web site of the company he ordered this rifle from to find this importer still had almost 100 or so rifles identical to this listed. There were another like number of rifles like this in European calibers, and the same basic conditions listed. The front of the aluminum magazine well on this rifle showed it had fired a lot of full metal jacket ammo. These facts plus the wood and metal finish told me this rifle spent a lot of miles in a vehicle and in hands traveling about the bush. This all makes me suspect this was likely a game keeper, game warden, forest service, or other outdoor type organization issued rifle. It didn't seem to have had the TLC type care a personally owned rifle would have.

None the less, it came to me with almost half a box of ammo that went home empty. And a big package of moose meat. This is always very good eats.

Now to figure out which one of the rifles remaining in this inventory I would like, and how to get it ordered.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Curious about the price of these rifles... Have never seen one down here.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

Yes, more information please. Were there any 6.5 x 55SM calibers listed?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM

These rifles are excellent quality and price. You can find them every once and a while on gunsamerica dot com. They are pretty economical. An example is right now you can buy a 30-06 for $449.00.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:03 AM

My understanding was that those Husqy rifles were built one at a time and each only done by 1 dedicated smith from start to finish to ensure complete accuracy and only the highest quality.

Last I knew as of a few years ago, they still had a few of these artisans working there and building only a few rifles a year. My understanding is that as they retire they will not be replaced and that once the last one hangs up his apron, that will be the end of Husqvarna's firearms business.

I'd be interested that if once you've made your selection and purchase if you might be open to sharing the source.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

There are about 300 rifles in the used area on this web site. About a third Husqvarna, the rest M96 Swede actions.. All the M96 are commercial actions of that pattern. A few in 6.5x55 caliber, a few in 8x57, most in 9.3x57, and a few in 9,3x62 caliber..

Unfortunately the retailer does not sell or ship to the US.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Bummer. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Master Pontificator

That is a real big bummer!

But a big thanks for the updated information TH.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Master Pontificator

I have a good friend who's dad purchased a Husk in .270 Winchester back in the late 50's or early 60's. His dad passed the Husky on to my friend in the mid to late 80's and when it was shown to me in the 90's it looked like a specimen that had been kept under glass except to lightly oil from time to time.

Built like a real rifle should be. There weren't any shortcuts taken in the Husqvarna factory.