BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Default How can they do this?!

Hello all. I need your thoughts on this weird situation I'm in.

As I've shared before I've been divorced 13 years and have no contact with my ex. He has remarried and lives in another country.

Merrily I've been rolling along on my $817 a month from SS. In November my total deposit was $417. No warning, no letter. $400 gone.

I called the local SS office and was told it was an error made by the international payment center in Baltimore. They had over paid my ex and were taking the money from me!

The rep said he would return the $400 but warned me it could be taken away in December because they were investigating.

It was. December's deposit was short $242.10. Again, no warning, no letter.

I called and talked to the same rep. He said "Didn't we do something special for you last month?" I told him yes, he had returned my missing $400. Then he says "Are you sure you're telling me everything?" Before I could answer, he put me on hold.

He came back on the line and told me he had contacted the payment center on Nov. 8 and asked them to fix the problem but they did not respond. He said he was required to wait 30 days before contacting them again. He couldn't call because there are no phones in that office, all communication is done electronically. They had a different mind set there, he had no idea how long it would take to fix this, it could take months. MONTHS!! For a simple over payment error? I don't believe any of what he's told me. He says he's seen similar cases but never one like this. Wait a minute, it's supposed to be a common, ordinary over payment issue. But I don't think it is. I don't know why I'm being dragged into this mess.

I found phone numbers for the Baltimore complex, chose one and left a message. You don't get to talk to a human being. I also emailed my attorney general's office and asked them to point me in the right direction.

I've been told my $242.10 will be returned. I hope so.

This is affecting my health and planning anything is impossible yet the rep told me to have a nice weekend before hanging up.

Have any of you experienced a situation like this with SS?

It's bizarre.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

If you cannot get it settled quickly, contact your (federal not state)representative. I had to do that with a different government agency. I called a newly elected representative (he was a district attorney in a former life). As soon as he was sworn in, his office asked for permission to review the files (have to tell you, it did take longer for me than it should for you). Suddenly, we got attention. When it was resolved, the agent in charge met my husband at a coffee shop near his work and handed over a check. When it was over, the agent asked that I call the representative's office and tell them it was handled. It seemed that the representative's staff called the agency at least twice a week to see if it was resolved.

They may ignore calls from their employers (us) but they don't ignore the calls from the guys that can actually cut the money off.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:59 PM

I second that advice. Most people don't realize that it is one of the primary duties of your representative in congress to help you navigate the federal bureaucracy.

JVC
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Thank you, I will do that. The attorney general's office referred me back to SS.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Update Dec. 30

I'm happy to report that I received my full SS check this morning. It took 2 months for them to straighten out this snafu. SS is so unpredictable that I think I'll always be wary of them.

If they hadn't gotten things back on track for January then I was planning to contact my local representative. I was running out of patience.

Happy New Year to me! 😊
Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 PM

Happy new year indeed!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:39 AM
Master Pontificator

that's good news, been following the thread, sounded very frustrating
Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 PM

a EX-SPOUSE over-payment by SS should never be taken out of the divorced spouses check ever unless they maybe were married at the time. A SS check to a divorced spouse based on an ex's employment are not related to the now ex spouse. And in fact the SS website states that receiving it does not decrease or increase the ex-spouses payments at all.

Makes almost as much sense as collecting money from me because my brother was overpaid SS.

Any time you have issues contact your Federal Representative. They have an office that files a Congressional Investigation. They will contact SS and they will have to respond to your Representative. I deal with Congressional Investigations in the Navy all the time. Now you may not like the answer you get back from your Representative. So make sure you give them all the facts and what your expectations are. Most of mine were the Representative did not have all the facts of the case.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Whatever was really going on, I'm glad it's over. An overpayment glitch that takes months to resolve was not a believable story. I'm sure I was being investigated, but I can't imagine why.

I shared my story with others, not a single person had ever heard of such a thing. The fact that SS can take your money without warning is frightening.

I'm now more frugal than ever. I don't commit to anything. One of my neighbors paid me to address her Christmas cards. She keeps buying me clothes but I've been losing weight so they don't fit for long.

The truth will come out eventually, I'd like it to be sooner rather than later.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 AM

I don't live in the US and don't have much of anything useful to contribute except that it sounds like a very annoying and frustrating situation and I hope it never happens again. When things like that happen little people seem not to count at all.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Master Pontificator

Depending on the government for anything is very risky! The one who pays or drives has control.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:54 AM

If you were married more than 10 years, you both have claims on each other's SS.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Master Pontificator

That is correct, but what happened to me is rare. Read the orginal post so you clearly understand.