BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Alternate Sources for Heat & Cooking

Bugging out or sheltering in place what are your preparations and plans for maintaining warmth & cooking meals.

Our principal residence has natural gas and a wood burning fire place. We have a couple of kerosene heaters for alternate heat, for a just in case situation. We also have down blankets & heaver down comforters, wool, fleece & acrylic blankets and old time quilts, so for our very mild winters we are well prepared for the occasional cool days & nights.

Our secondary residence, where we will go if disaster ever strikes, we have propane for stove and heaters. Additionally we have a wood heater and a single kerosene heater which remains at that location as an alternate heat source also.

We have Coleman gas stoves at both locations, but the white gas is so explosive, it is not something I really care to use in the home. Coal is not readily available here, but it can be obtained and charcoal is of lesser quality for cooking or heat, but it is readily available, but both of there produce smoke, although not as bad or great as wood does, but their smell may carry even further than that from a wood fire.

We also have a single and twin burner fish cookers which are supplied fuel from the 5 and 25 gallon propane bottles, which can certainly be used to cook on, but they're are not desirable for use inside the home either.

In a worst case scenario, it will eventually become necessary to use wood as a source of heat for warmth & cooking. Even in a remote area smoke can be seen for miles and smelled quite a distance, so for stealth, propane is great, and kerosene is good, but eventually most supplies of one or the other or a combination of the two would be exhausted.

We also have two wood cook stoves for use as a last resort. One is basically a full size cook stove, whereas the other is quite small for a wood stove, but there is no mistaking it for a wood heater, since it has an oven, even though it more resembles a wood heater with the exception of that single characteristic. The oven is accessible from either side of the small stove, making it better suited for a small cabin or retreat where space is a real premium and one has both a heater & stove in a single appliance.

It has recently came to my attention, that 2, 3, & 4 burner kerosene stoves are still being build in this country and two & three burner kerosene stoves (of lesser quality & durability most likely) are also being imported for individuals looking for a means to cook and heat homes during times of winter storms, power outages and other emergencies. Maine I believe it was, I recently read, recommends kerosene stoves & heaters to its residents as a useful tool to bridge the survival gap during emergencies and power outages during their winter months.

With three kerosene heaters already in service as an alternate source of heat, adding a three burner kerosene stove as an alternate means for cooking is gaining favor very rapidly. (Two burners may not provide enough cooking space, whereas a three burner kerosene stove seems to be the best compromise between cost and utility.)

What do the preparedness plans of others here involve for warmth & cooking during times of power outages, emergencies, etc.

Last edited by Jjr; 12-24-2016 at 03:02 AM. Reason: for spelling
Old 12-24-2016, 03:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

When my kids were mushing and stayed out overnight, I built a couple of stoves that resembled this video, but I used 3-lb metal coffee cans and punched holes about a quarter of the way down the can. They used it to warm themselves on the trail and to cook dog food. If the holes are properly spaced, it produces almost a blowtorch effect and produced an incredible amount of heat. We used the bottles of "Heet" that are used to pull water out of gasoline and bought them by the case. It would get hot enough to cause the metal grate that we put over the can to soften and sag. It would also heat the dog food that was frozen to warm temperatures in a very short amount of time. It was a great survival stove, even on the snow. You just had to put something under it to keep it from melting out of sight into the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmuBa6hEEc

Last edited by Doninalaska; 12-24-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: I forgot to add the link
Old 12-24-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
What do the preparedness plans of others here involve for warmth & cooking during times of power outages, emergencies, etc.
In our area, the heating season isn't terribly long. Something I think that gets overlooked is the importance of good insulation. Investment now reduces BTU requirements later.

Our shelter in place plan starts with Natural Gas, followed by propane. I do have a kerosene heater but fuel cost is prohibitive.

For cooking, I've experimented with several rocket stoves and have been very pleased with the performance a few recycled cans can produce. Once they're burning, they're smokeless.

I've re-purposed a gas water heater into a rocket mass heater and like the performance so far. I'm going to build another one based upon what I've learned with this one. We'll be able to put it indoors once it's complete.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:45 PM

I have cooked in a fireplace, and over a kerosene heater. For my simple needs it has been enough. The power rarely goes out.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM

We will shelter in place if there is ever a disaster. We have a wood burning stove that we use all winter for additional heat, or as the main source of heat for those few times a year when we lose power due to a storm, etc. We could probably cook on the fireplace as its got a flat top, however we have not done so yet, other than Jiffy Pop. We also have one of those little propane powered grill/stoves. I always keep 6 or 8 of those little green propane bottles in the shed for fuel. I also have a MSR Pocket stove, and a Trangia burner, that uses Heet for fuel. I use them to heat up water for the freeze dried meals I keep in my pack when I go deer hunting. We could use those to cook on at home if need be. Worse comes to worse, I can build a campfire in the back yard to cook on.