BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Hands-On How-To

Hands-On How-To This board is ONLY for detailed, instructional posts about how to do or make something. General conversation about a topic belongs in the appropriate board.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 AM

Default Need strong bond, small contact area

Strong as in the small bent post that hooks into the belt hole. These should be sliver soldered in place. I'd like to get around that because it's been years, like 10 or more since I did much silver soldering. It's an oval buckle maybe three and a half inches long. It's a Hopi overlay style. Three pieces of 18 ga, material making up the buckle. I would require a quick in an out with fairly high heat to re soldier the post in place. It's place is in a snug fitting hole drilled into a small piece of 18 ga. material which was soldered in place long ago. With proper soldering it would stay there for ever, I just need about 15 years or so..... I'm 71.

All mating surfaces have been cleaned to new metal with small diamond bits and rinsed in distilled water.

I'm looking for something that can hold the post in place. I have some hi tech whooptidoo E6000 or something like that. I'm not overly impressed with it. What else should I look into. Wood workers has some highly touted polyurethane glue that is suppose to hold things in place very well J.E Moser makes it. I haven't bought anything yet so if anyone has a favorite badass glue I'd love to know about it.

Ron

Last edited by ron45; 01-01-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-01-2017, 03:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

That sounds like a tall order for sure. I expect that the finish plating was done after the buckle was originally cast so heat will definitely foul things up.

I take it that this is a special buckle. I don't have much advice to offer except whatever the fix, I would test it on another, similar buckle.

Another thought, not as elegant, would be to take a strip of metal, fashion said hook on one end, then you could fasten the strip to the back side of the buckle using JB Weld or something like that.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Well beyond something like a chemical off the shelf bond like Gorilla glue or JB Weld, you might want to see if you can find a machine shop or mold and die/ tool maker in your area that might do laser welding. it'd take only a few seconds to fix you up and this uses very minimal heat... so nearly no distortion or discoloration.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Default what kind of metal?

Is your buckle pewter? If so you'll have to find a person who makes stained glass or one of the jewelry makers. They will have a fine tipped flame to silver solder it back.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Is your buckle pewter? If so you'll have to find a person who makes stained glass or one of the jewelry makers. They will have a fine tipped flame to silver solder it back.
True Silver Solder takes more heat than Pewter can stand.

Lead solder would work, but I would try JB Weld or MarineTex epoxy first, since too much heat could melt the buckle itself.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
True Silver Solder takes more heat than Pewter can stand.

Lead solder would work, but I would try JB Weld or MarineTex epoxy first, since too much heat could melt the buckle itself.
Not sure what MarineTex is, but if it's a two part epoxy, it creates very strong bond strength.

Rinsing with distilled water is very good, and I'm not sure what the surface profile is when cleaning with the small diamond bits.

If the surfaces are really smooth, you might want to rough the mating surfaces up. This creates more surface area so the bond strength would be significantly better.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Not sure what MarineTex is, but if it's a two part epoxy, it creates very strong bond strength.
Yes, it's a high quality two-part epoxy and they also make some other useful products

http://marinetex.com/