BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Ever see a Kioti from Korea?

This one doesn't like Kimchee. I likes diesel fuel and not a whole lot either.

Compact 30 horse, two speed axle, four wheel drive.

Got it used as part of a land deal, so far it is such a valuable ally I can't believe my luck. At least untill you need a part. Then it's a crap shoot, anywhere from four to eight weeks or more. Get a John Deer if you have the bux.

I've had it several years and use it all the time for road work or culling dead trees or thinning for fire danger. I do want to get a bush hog one of these years. It does ok with a 6 ft. heavy duty blade. The driver's area is too small for most people including me. I keep bumping things getting in and out. I need to relocate them higher on the dash and then it's ok. Back hoe control area same, too tight.

But for all I get out of it I won't complain too much.

Mine's an LK3054 and it's not quite thirty horses, but it just takes a little longer. There is plenty of decent steel in the thing. Anyone got one of these?

Ron
Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
This one doesn't like Kimchee. I likes diesel fuel and not a whole lot either.

Compact 30 horse, two speed axle, four wheel drive.

Got it used as part of a land deal, so far it is such a valuable ally I can't believe my luck. At least untill you need a part. Then it's a crap shoot, anywhere from four to eight weeks or more. Get a John Deer if you have the bux.

I've had it several years and use it all the time for road work or culling dead trees or thinning for fire danger. I do want to get a bush hog one of these years. It does ok with a 6 ft. heavy duty blade. The driver's area is too small for most people including me. I keep bumping things getting in and out. I need to relocate them higher on the dash and then it's ok. Back hoe control area same, too tight.

But for all I get out of it I won't complain too much.

Mine's an LK3054 and it's not quite thirty horses, but it just takes a little longer. There is plenty of decent steel in the thing. Anyone got one of these?

Ron
My Dad had one of these for a brief time. He bought it new back around 1999 and had it for about 5 or 6 months. He would have had it less if we could have gotten them to take the POS back. When he finally got rid of it, it had like 50 hours on it and he'd only put on about 5 of them. The rest were put on at the dealer during multiple visits to try to get it running. It ate the injectors once, shreaded the injector pump, loads of electrical, injection and idle issues. Kioti even sent a US and Korean engineer up from NC to the house in PA to look at it. Made all kinds of excuses and were trying to fight us on taking it back. I told them that they were going to get it and that either they could take it back or I'd haull it down to NC and assuming the POS would start, I'd drive it thru the front of their lobby. The dealer were friends of the family and after the issues and difficulty thaey saw we had they dropped the dealership. Thankfully they gave Dad full credit plus a little extra for staying with them thru it all and he got a 35hp New Holland.

Kioti was started by a guy that left Kubota and basically stole their designs to go start his own company. Maybe he should have also stolen their quality standards.

We have a Kioti dealer here in town and they sell quite a few around here but I hear lots of people with issues. As you point out, the biggest sounds to be getting the parts to fix them. Sounds like the Mahindras are a lot of the same types of quality issues and then lack of service and parts.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

First disclaimer.. I have bled green most all my life...
However, in this part of the bush there are only two dealers that handle a small quantity of row crop tractors. A few more chore/hay tractors and a like small number of compact tractors. One dealer being Kubota, the other Kioti brand.

Again in this part of the bush the vast majority of tractors are Kubota. The few Kioti owners I have talked to don't complain about there tractors, but don't brag either. There are a couple John Deere dealers that are big industrial and forestry equipment only dealers. They do the vast majority of that equipment in all directions from here.

At one time there was a Belarus dealer close somewhere here as you do see the very occasional one moving, but most of them are parked and rusting. About 200 plus kilometers in three directions before you find any sizeable agriculture equipment dealers.

If you have the parts, service, and support to back up your equipment, color doesn't matter. My 2 cents.
---
We have decided when we replace the tractor we sold, it will be a chore/hay size Kubota for the support, service locally available.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 PM

I have a Branson tractor which is Korean, and I'm thinking that the guts for all the Korean brands are pretty much the same. Kind of like color tv's these days. Mine has a 3 cylinder diesel, and that has never been a problem--the hydraulics are a little ornery at times, but I do tend to use them hard at times also.

JVC
Old 03-22-2017, 03:57 PM

My last JD tractor was a mid 1980s compact, 3 cyl diesel, (Yanmar from Japan) with a drive shaft that drove the rear end/hydro-static transaxel drive.

It seemed incredibly more powerful than its rated 25hp should have been. The only thing about the 3 cyls is they have a distinctive cackle to them regardless of the speed they are running. Takes a bit to get used to.

I'm not sure but seem to remember Cub Cadet, Boomer, New Holland compacts at one time may have been Mahindra (?) from India (?) Possibly also Bob Cat when they had a line of compact tractors. Seemed they were better than some brands, but not near what the Japanese and Korean tractors are/were.

I know the Cub Cadet UTV diesel line used the Yanmar motor.