BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Default Buying in bulk

I was looking on line for sources to buy food in bulk but nothing seems cheaper than the supermarket. I was wondering if people here know of any sources for buying bulk food.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM

You might try some of these.
foodservicedirect.com
dollardays.com
allbulkfoods.com

I have only used foodservicedirect.com and some of their items ship free. I never had any problems with them except it may take a while for them to ship it. Typically a week.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

We use local grocery adds..
This allows several options that way.
We keep a notebook of products, quantity of product on hand, and an envelope organizer in the notebook for coupons. We also keep another envelope for a weekly, or payday money kitty to do shopping with.

Shopping local lets us try a couple packages of product before buying in quantity. Bad to buy a bunch, ship it, then find out you can't choke it down..

Many specials and coupons seem to cycle on 6 to 8 week intervals. Again the coupon envelope will show this trend as old and expired coupons are cycled out.

Many specials are seasonal.. When apples or other local fruit are ready it is the mission of the day to take care of this abundance. This includes wild game hunting seasons as well. In many areas and qualifying circumstances, subsistence hunting permits, and herd numbers management permits are available. Wild game is a low investment for nutrition return for us as no great distances, excess time or other investments is required.

And of course having the cold room, preserving equipment, and freezers to manage bulk storage is all in place. Plus the knowledge of "how to" preserve a given product is essential.

Use a given product you normally use to it fullest. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Every ones needs will be different as to taste, location, capabilities, and other considerations.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:52 PM

@The1gman - Thanks. These look interesting. I'll check them out.

@TimHorton - I'm just looking for dry goods. Coffee, popcorn, oatmeal, flour and rice. Mostly it's the popcorn that only comes in these little plastic bottles at the supermarket. I guess owning a popcorn popper is out of style and most people buy the microwave popcorn.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:44 AM

I buy bulk from Sam's club, but you have to compare prices. Popcorn is 50 lb bag for $24. I buy this to grind for cornmeal. Flour and sugar are cheaper too. There is a Costco too but I don't shop there, they don't carry my coffee brand LOL.
Hope this helps
sissy
Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 PM

Interesting, I buy in bulk at Sam's Club a lot but not flour or sugar. I use unbleached flour and they don't carry it and I get better prices on the sugar at the local grocery store. I do buy coffee, pastas, and dry beans there. Try to wait for them(Sam's) to have the sales and stock up.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:02 PM

azurestandard.com (co-op of sorts, mostly organic and non-gmo) might be another option if you have a drop site nearby.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:25 AM

Buying at a brick-and-mortar using cash leaves no digital trail. Just saying..
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM

As long as you don't use shopping cards or warehouse clubs.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
As long as you don't use shopping cards or warehouse clubs.
One could still use shopping cards and/or warehouse clubs. You'd just not have the card in your real name, payment (if any) done via money order, and cards delivered to an address that is *not* tied to your real name.

That being said, I've found that my local stores have just as good of prices if not better than Sam's Club (can't vouch for Costco or other clubs). And they tend to carry the same product consistently, unlike Sam's/WalMart.

The choice of product size may be better at a local store.

Just my observations/opinion.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 AM

A friend buys from Walmart.

I am 73 and live alone, I would like to know if anyone knows if you could buy in smaller amounts. By the time I get to the bottom of a #10 can it is no good.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGrandma View Post
A friend buys from Walmart.

I am 73 and live alone, I would like to know if anyone knows if you could buy in smaller amounts. By the time I get to the bottom of a #10 can it is no good.
i find that it's often more cost effective for us (just the two of us) to buy in smaller sizes as things often go bad before we use them up.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 PM

My Mom uses a lot of frozen stuff for that reason. When I was living alone I cooked family size meals and froze my leftovers as meals for later. Worked out well for me.