BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkins)

Has any one grown these? We've found them to be quite tasty. We roast them whole (place a few punctures and bake in a 400 degree oven for an hour or so), let cool, slice in half (horizontally), scoop out seeds and "strings" then consume.

I've grown Delicatas (also quite tasty) which spread like no tomorrow. I'm in 5 (5A/5B depending on the chart).
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 AM

We have grown them. They are marginal here, but produce with care in good years. We find them quite tasty, and may put them back into production this year. The warm weather crops do not depend so much on the zone you are in (mostly for perennials and biennials), but on the length and warm of your growing season which don't necessarily correspond to your USDA zone. We grow most summer squash well here, and most
C. pepo winter squashes. I am glad you can grow the Kabochas well and enjoy their great taste.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Never have tried those. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:14 AM

We grew them a few years ago. They did well and were delicious. I don't know why we haven't grown them again!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
We have grown them. They are marginal here, but produce with care in good years. We find them quite tasty, and may put them back into production this year. The warm weather crops do not depend so much on the zone you are in (mostly for perennials and biennials), but on the length and warm of your growing season which don't necessarily correspond to your USDA zone. We grow most summer squash well here, and most
C. pepo winter squashes. I am glad you can grow the Kabochas well and enjoy their great taste.
Do the vines spread like traditional pumpkins? I've not grown them yet, just consumed them. A good portion of my current garden space is dedicated to asparagus and strawberries. Delicatas spread like no tomorrow and while good to eat, I'm not sure it they are worth the garden space as I can buy them locally at a very reasonable price. I have at least a 4 month growing season and this past growing season lasted a month longer than normal (based on fall frost date).
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Do the vines spread like traditional pumpkins? I've not grown them yet, just consumed them. A good portion of my current garden space is dedicated to asparagus and strawberries. Delicatas spread like no tomorrow and while good to eat, I'm not sure it they are worth the garden space as I can buy them locally at a very reasonable price. I have at least a 4 month growing season and this past growing season lasted a month longer than normal (based on fall frost date).
I haven't grown them in a few years, but I don't remember them being more vine than other winter squashes we grow. Space isn't a problem for us. I tried growing Delicatas here once, but they didn't do well. We have a short season and long daylight. It seems to mess up some varieties of squash. I haven't been able to grow acorn-type squashes, but the pumpkins seem to do very well here, even though they have a longer maturity. Bonbon is one of our best winter squashes, and neon and Montana Jack pumpkins grow very well here. We have also had trouble with some varieties cracking, as our rainy season generally starts in August, and if the fruit is too hard by then they split when the rains start and the weather cools in August.