BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Humor

Humor G or PG-rated humor only. Post adult humor in the Extended Access section.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Moose story

Recently we have had two young moose hanging around being nuisances (as usual). I have a big black sled that I use to haul stuff around the homestead. We used to use it to haul hay and feed bags around the place. Now it is just used for firewood and miscellaneous items. I last used it to bring a bale of Pro Mix in from the potting shed. Anyway, I had it parked by the garage door. We discovered it frozen into the creek this afternoon. We could see where the moose had dragged it from the garage onto the creek where there is rapidly flowing water so it doesn't freeze real thick. The moose broke through the ice and the sled slipped off its foot into the water...which promptly froze. It is caked in the ice until I can get down there and chop it out of the ice. I thought it was humorous, so I decided to share the story.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 PM

Great story...never knew of moose doing anything but eating and leaving moose marbles everywhere.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Good luck retrieving your sled.
As amusing as moose can be in there awkward ways, they are incredibly dangerous and can be destructive. They have been in the yard at nights eating off the berry bushes. I hang up mirrors with small flags to keep the mirrors moving.. Also old CD disk, anything to make them reflect and keep moose away.

One ran out in front of a car on the road out to our road and was hit by a car.. The car then hit a logging truck from the other direction. Not a good outcome for all involved. Road closed about half a day, all right near the edge of the city limits, about 1 kilometer from a very busy highway.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Good luck retrieving your sled.
As amusing as moose can be in there awkward ways, they are incredibly dangerous and can be destructive. They have been in the yard at nights eating off the berry bushes. I hang up mirrors with small flags to keep the mirrors moving.. Also old CD disk, anything to make them reflect and keep moose away.

One ran out in front of a car on the road out to our road and was hit by a car.. The car then hit a logging truck from the other direction. Not a good outcome for all involved. Road closed about half a day, all right near the edge of the city limits, about 1 kilometer from a very busy highway.
We had two of the buggers hanging around. We have about 3 feet of snow on the ground and it doesn't seem to be impeding them much. I only saw one yesterday and there is only one this morning, so the other may have met a vehicle somewhere or stepped over a spring and fallen through. The ice is over 4 feet thick on the lakes, but where springs come in it sometimes is only a couple inches (Read "To Build a Fire" by Jack London). We have had them fall through the ice in the past, and if they can't get out or get under the ice, they die. We even had one start an avalanche and get swept down the mountain to their death last week.