BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Canadian Lynx

2017-02-11
On the way to town today. About 1.5 kilometers from the house a Lynx crossed the road in front of me.. About 3-400 meters in front, then stood on the bank to the left of me broadside as I went by..

It was bigger than I expected it to be. Almost the size of a cougar/mountain lion. Just a bit shorter legged, and much slighter build, like an Irish Setter would be compared to a German Shepard.. With the tufts of fur around the face that feature looked big. The legs looked too long for that size animal and the feet were enormous in comparison.

It DID NOT have a "nice kitty" type of look about its face.. First one I've seen that close.. Even on the road in a car, not a pleasant encounter..
----
The place the Lynx crossed is kind of a natural crossing for game animals of all sorts due to water, terrain, and people locations there.. Earlier this winter there was a red fox crossed at the same location. It was about twice as big as a "usual" red fox would be expected to be and usually described. Almost about the size of an immature Lab dog. A very dark almost black look to the red fur. Obviously a fox from the tail that was enormous for even that size animal..
--
Troubling thing about the fox is I have seen tracks in the yard and driveway to where I have been putting out chicken scratch feed for the spruce grouse this winter. Tracks that go all the places the grouse usually visit while in the yard. Time will tell..
==
Earlier this late fall there was reports of a grizzly seen a couple times by the local rural fire department buildings where the softball and soccer fields are. This is about 3 kilometers from the house. Every once in a while the logging and wood chip crews have a sighting during winter as they move through the woods.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:23 AM

I, too, have only seen one lynx in the wild and the situation was similar to yours. I was also surprised by how large it appeared to be. I'm surprised there are many grizzlies out this time of year there. The ones here are sleeping, although I understand the boars come out once in a while to see if there is anything around to eat, while the sows stay denned up with their young.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Don, yes there are more brown bears in the area than many think. The sightings I mentioned were late last October, early November (?) time frame. I'm sure how weather affects food sources will dictate when they start to get active in the spring. That will be different in different places.

It is consicered a general rule if you get close enough messing around in the bush a brown bear WILL come out for the prospect of calories pretty much regardless what the source is.
Black bears will have at least one eye open, but not necessarily move.

Thing is it is many times easy to spot where to stay away from as there will be a whiff of steam coming from where they are even as shallow as there breathing may be. Keep safe.