BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Unhappy BHM to stop publishing paper edition

I can't believe it. A world without the paper edition of Backwoods Home magazine.

Another era... will be gone!

I respect the decision but will mourn the loss all the same.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I will mourn it also.

And, it will likely affect this forum
Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMama View Post
I can't believe it. A world without the paper edition of Backwoods Home magazine.

Another era... will be gone!

I respect the decision but will mourn the loss all the same.

===
OK..... Yes, that will be too bad..
However... Where did this info come from ?? When will be the last edition ?? What about those who have subscriptions several years out ?? What about the other publications associated with the BWH magazine ??
Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Master Pontificator

I like something I can make notes on and reference or refer back to later. Notes on a monitor screen does little good for a future reference.

Can we have some confirmation or verification of this comment.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
===
OK..... Yes, that will be too bad..
However... Where did this info come from ?? When will be the last edition ?? What about those who have subscriptions several years out ?? What about the other publications associated with the BWH magazine ??
The information came from Dave Duffy, Tim. The last edition is the Nov/Dec 2017 issue. All subscriptions will be fulfilled with subscriptions to the paper edition of Self Reliance.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/saying-...ackwoods-home/
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Can we have some confirmation or verification of this comment.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I will mourn it also.

And, it will likely affect this forum
I pray it doesn't, Terri, but you never know. Since the Kindle edition of Backwoods Home is going to continue, maybe not.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Master Pontificator

Can I cry now? How sad.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM

If you subscribe to the kindle edition, Amazon gives you the first month free to decide if you like it. It's actually pretty nice. I got a cheap Amazon Fire tablet on Black Friday because I wanted to move to electronic editions of things to help me declutter anyway...but regularly it's still only $39.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM

That is great but it doesn't help those like me who prefer the paper and don't have or subscribe to anything Kindle.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Master Pontificator

I believe going paperless will be a big mistake. Many of the people who subscribe to this magazine are disconnected from the grid and are in very rural areas of this country. Print being read can be interrupted and the reader can return right back to the same article and sentence an hour or week later, but that won't happen with a paperless anything.

I like the magazine, and we have seven more issues on our five year subscription, but there will not be any paperless magazines or books for us, we want something tangible in a book or magazine. Something that can be held & had for future reference, which is why we purchased the past print anthologies.

I think the powers that be, need to think long and hard, before making what could be the worst mistake of their magazines life. Those that leave because they do not like a paperless magazine, may not return very swiftly, at all, if the paperless magazine also turns out to be a subscriptionless magazine.

I hate to see this even happen, but we definitely will not subscribe to a paperless magazine, nor will we buy a paperless book.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Pontificator

I agree it is sad....
Wonder if the name and license will be bought by another publishing company....Like MEN was.
Didn't have a subscription but would buy interesting issues over the years.

I am a paper lover my self......
Lost too many digital records pic, and files from crashes and media format changes.
Find a floppy disk that still works.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMama View Post
The information came from Dave Duffy, Tim. The last edition is the Nov/Dec 2017 issue. All subscriptions will be fulfilled with subscriptions to the paper edition of Self Reliance.

I have looked at the Self-Reliant in the past, but it did not interest me that much. We have had subscription to Mother Earth for many years and Grit about as long as Backwoods Home, and Self-Reliant seems just to be another copy of these two. We probably will keep Mother Earth, but Grit only has two to four articles of real interest in a year, so we will probably let its subscription end next year, when the current subscription expires.

I guess it's time to go visit the book stores and check out the various magazines available there and pick up a few copies to try and find a replacement for Backwoods Home and Grit both.

Nothing remains the same, nor forever either one.

I think Backwoods Home can just keep their copy of Self-Reliant, and save their postage also, by just letting our subscription end with the Nov-Dec 2017 issue to Backwoods Home. The loss of the couple of dollars remaining on our current subscription will not be missed since that money was spent four plus years ago.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM

OK... I for one was just bumping along all smiles and happy until the thing about Oliver being "down sized".
Then a few wheels started to turn with "what ifs" kind of things. So it is a sorta surprise, but not a shock in todays world to hear the end of the paper version.

Coincidentally, we got a one year subscription to Self Reliance this last December as just a try it out kind of thing. First one was interesting, but not any "wow" to it. Like said, we also routinely monitor and occasionally buy issues of a variety of different publications at news stands if/when something looks interesting.

I presume there will still be a market here for submitted articles and like contributions ?? How does/will that change with a different format ??
Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Master Pontificator

I'm also very disappointed. I do get information off the Internet, but prefer a hard copy of magazines and books. I have a desk top computer not a lap top, a un-smart phone and no Kindle or other electronic devise so no option for me.

I especially like to have a hard copy of Jackie Clay's articles as well as a few others to keep for future reference.

Countryside, Mother Earth and Grit have all turned into new age publications that I don't like. No future subscriptions to any of those are planned. Most of the so called information published is just a feel good ramble without any substance. The self-reliance and sustainable living articles are a joke. A sad joke if anyone believes them.

I suppose its all "keeping up with the times", but the "current times" are something I try to avoid which is the point of Backwoods in the first place.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Doesn't bode well for them or this site.
Sounds like financial issues.
Hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 PM

This is the message I received:

Practical Ideas For Self-reliant Living

Dear Friends,

We regret to announce that Backwoods Home Magazine will cease publishing its print magazine with the November/December 2017 issue. It will be the conclusion of our 28th year in business. We will continue as a "digital only" magazine on Amazon's Kindle platform (http://amzn.to/2kDXnD5).

We have come a long way for a family magazine, but age has crept up on my wife, Lenie, and me, and so has competition from the internet. Although we outlasted all other print magazines in our genre, even the original Mother Earth News, we cannot outlast the internet with its free and endless content. Declining paid print subscriptions have not kept pace with printing and postage costs of a six-times-a-year magazine, so economics has essentially dictated we must close.

Our sister magazine, Self-Reliance (www.self-reliance.com), which publishes only four times a year, is better situated economically and will continue to publish a print issue. After the November/December issue of BHM is mailed out, subscribers will have the remaining issues of their subscriptions to BHM fulfilled with print issues of Self-Reliance.

Self-Reliance is run by younger, but related, people. Daughter Annie, 34, who longtime BHM subscribers have seen grow up in the pages of BHM, is the managing editor, and son Sam, 22, is the publisher. Self-Reliance caters to a similar audience as BHM, but with more emphasis on the idea that "anyone, whether you live in the city or country, can achieve self-reliance." It is about to publish its 19th issue.

Lest longtime BHM readers feel like they are being abandoned by some of their favorite writers, Self-Reliance has shared key writers like Jackie Clay-Atkinson and Jeff Yago for several years now. Those writers will continue at Self-Reliance, and I even have a limited role there with a new column the magazine instituted last issue called "Making a Living."

Current subscribers will automatically be sent our five remaining print issues. If you are not a subscriber and would like to subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine's five remaining print issues, click here. I can pretty much guarantee that these last few issues of BHM will become collector's items. We'll work especially hard to maintain the quality right to the end.

I'd like to thank all our readers through the years for supporting BHM. It's been a fun ride for us and I hope you enjoyed it too. I'm glad now we've signed up to be at so many preparedness and self-reliance expos and fairs around the country in the coming months. It will give us a chance to say goodbye in person to all you wonderful readers. Here is a list of the shows:

Feb 18-19 (Sat/Sun): TMEN Fair, Belton, Texas
April 21-22 (Fri/Sat): Preppercon, South Towne Expo Ctr, Sandy, Utah
May 6-7 (Sat/Sun): TMEN Fair, Asheville, North Carolina
May 21 (Sun): Sustainable Preparedness Expo, Grants Pass, Oregon
May 26-27 (Fri/Sat): Self Reliance Expo, Irving, Texas
June 10-11 (Sat/Sun): TMEN Fair, Burlington, Vermont
June 16-18 (Fri-Sun): MREA Fair, Custer, Wisconsin
Aug 5-6 (Sat/Sun): TMEN Fair, Albany, Oregon
Sept 5-7 (Tues-Thur): The National Heirloom Expo, Santa Rosa, California
Sept 9-10 (Sat/Sun): MREA Fair, St Paul, Minnesota
Sept 15-17 (Fri-Sun): TMEN Fair, Seven Springs, Pennsylvania
Sept 22-23 (Fri/Sat): Self Reliance Expo, Denver, Colorado
Oct 1 (Sun): Sustainable Preparedness Expo, Spokane, Washington
Oct 14 (Sat): The Homesteaders of America Conference, Warrenton, Virginia
Oct 21-22 (Sat/Sun): TMEN Fair, Topeka, Kansas

- Dave Duffy
Old 02-15-2017, 12:27 PM

I thought about this while eating breakfast - here is my take -

First of all I've been an avid reader all my life (books) - the only magazine over the years I've subscribed to was BWH.

With books I told myself that I would never read on in digital format - a big part of reading for me was the sense of holding the book, turning the pages, and even the smell. Since I had to stop working a few years ago and couldn't do much physically, I took to reading to occupy my days. Buying paperbacks quickly got too expensive plus having to wait a week or more to get them.

So I bought a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader - and never looked back.

I can get tons of books for free and lots for $0.99. Even good books for $4-$5. Eventually I joined the Kindle Unlimited program which gives me unlimited books (over a million titles) for a monthly fee of $10. I read an average of 9 books a month so this has been a good choice.

But.....when it comes to reference books I much prefer a hard copy. Same goes for service manuals for my vehicles and tractor.

But times are changing - to buy the service manual for my tractor now I can buy the CD digital version for $55 - the hard copy version is $155.

I feel too much has become internet dependent. Heck even just my electricity is not dependable - I will never be 100% confident in the internet. But the younger generation is totally dependent on their smart phones and internet access - to the point they are immobilized without.

When I now think of terrorist attacks (foreign or domestic) all it would take is to take down our internet and our country will come to a complete crawl. Even BWH had an article some time ago about how many internet attacks are posed on our grid each and every day. Without the internet we now have no electricity.

I don't blame Dave at all - it's a matter of financial semantics. There is no want for printed materials anymore - even kind of a stretch for this subject matter in digital publication. I was on a financial forum recently where the subject of reference books was going on - where I talked about the value of such books during a crisis. BWH magazines would also count as a reference like this. There were a lot or responses that said "why would I buy books if I can just look up what I want for free on-line?". Younger people don't get it - you can't look stuff up on-line without internet or electricity.

But that is the way things are going - like it or not. I will continue to have myself setup to survive (prosper) without electricity or internet. Younger people will just cry out and wait for the government to take care of things so they can get on-line again.

My rant for the day.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM

When I was "laid up" with the broken back, my son gave me a Kindle as a gift. I read books constantly on it, but don't like magazines or newspapers in that format. Maybe I'm old, but, while I enjoy books on it immensely, I can not get into periodicals electronically.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Master Pontificator

going kindle will be a mistake I fear, its too easy to pirate media in electronic format. that is why big cinemas are loosing money on movies. one person buys a ticket, makes a copy with pocket video camera and uploads it free on the internet where 10,000,000 people see it for free, that has killed a lot of small business movie rentals. and kindle killed bookstores. now I have to order all my books through the mail, I know I am like a 5 year old on Christmas morning when I open the mailbox and find a copy of bwh. I can read things online but will not own a kindle.