BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
I believe going paperless will be a big mistake.
My brothers used to own a printing company. They sold it when they got ready to retire. The cost of paper and shipping has been inching up for years. The decision Dave made to discontinue the paper edition of Backwoods Home is one that many editors/publishers have had to make in the last several years. If the subscriptions to the paper edition were increasing year-by-year I'm sure Dave would have never done this. But you can't keep a boat afloat if it's simply not profitable to fix it. The sister magazine "Self Reliance" is still going to print a paper edition.

It is what it is. I don't like it either but... knowing about the printing industry a little bit, as I do, I can certainly understand. Print magazines are dying a slow death in this country, as are newspapers and anything in tangible print form. Makes my heart sad.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It will be interesting to see what happens. Almost every newspaper I read on the 'net was free at first. But over time, only so many free articles per month. Time will tell if the non-tangible magazine is profitable. Who knows, another publication may take its place.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Just read Jackie Clay's blog. Seems right now, the blog and Ask Jackie are up in the air. Doesn't sound like she knows for sure if she will be included in the digital magazine.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens. Almost every newspaper I read on the 'net was free at first. But over time, only so many free articles per month.
As with all electronics and the internet, there are ways around almost everything.

If you use Google chrome in the upper right corner you see three dots. When you click on that you have some options and one is to open an incognito window. When you do that there are no cookies associated with it, so newspapers that only allow so many articles per month don't know you've been there before. This doesn't work 100% of the time, but does work enough to get you around the limits.

I found this when trying to follow a link to a story someone posted, and finding out I couldn't read the article because I'd followed my limit of links that month.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
Just read Jackie Clay's blog. Seems right now, the blog and Ask Jackie are up in the air. Doesn't sound like she knows for sure if she will be included in the digital magazine.
I wasn't distressed until I heard this part!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
As with all electronics and the internet, there are ways around almost everything.

If you use Google chrome in the upper right corner you see three dots. When you click on that you have some options and one is to open an incognito window. When you do that there are no cookies associated with it, so newspapers that only allow so many articles per month don't know you've been there before. This doesn't work 100% of the time, but does work enough to get you around the limits.

I found this when trying to follow a link to a story someone posted, and finding out I couldn't read the article because I'd followed my limit of links that month.
Cookies are one thing, IP addresses are another thing. If you use a TOR, you *might* be able to get around the issue. Most legitimate sites track IP addresses.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 AM

All I know is the newspapers I've read don't know the difference when using Google chrome incognito. Whether it's cookies or IPS address, I'm not sure. All I know is sites that limit you to 10 articles per month do not know you've read articles there before when going incognito through Google chrome.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
I wasn't distressed until I heard this part!
Me too! I just saw something on Self Reliance's webpage that says Jackie will continue to write for their magazine. But since it's published only 4x per year, how much space can Jackie actually have.

I hope this forum stays up and the BHM website itself stays up. So much good information. It would be sad to lose it!

Boy, the world sure is changing, isn't it. In more ways than one.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cil View Post
Can I cry now? How sad.
I feel the same way! My stomachs been in a knot every time I think about it. And where's John Silveira?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhound View Post
I feel the same way! My stomachs been in a knot every time I think about it. And where's John Silveira?
I saw someone else, on Claire Wolfe's website I believe, ask about John Silveira. Claire said (if I remember rightly) that there's one article from him floating around elsewhere but other than that he's not publishing online. What a shame!

Life goes on, I suppose. The older I get, the more I'm finding myself having to say that.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 AM

I live overseas so could never subscribe to the paper edition, but these are still sad news. I hope the magazine keeps afloat in its digital form. However, for us as Orthodox Jews paper really is irreplaceable as our religion forbids the use of electric appliances on the Shabbat (which is the time when I can mostly kick back, relax and read).
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 PM

Default My observation

One can complain about change, but it comes regardless. The reality of postage and pro ring costs have made BWH too expensive for a printed format. A digital format costs less to produce and distribute, bit at the expense of permanence and physicality.

What is a positive is that the digital files will also be available on the BWH website for access and hopefully printing so that favorite articles can be turned into a physical form.

As for saying that people who use technology are always dependant upon it with nothing for backup overlooks the benefits of only keeping physical versions of the most important. I would rather have a smaller footprint of less important materials in digital format when it is news or a mildly I terwsring article. There will be the printed anthologies each year and the BWH site for current and past articles.

If someone wants to be totally offgrid, that is fine. However, complaining about a change that is what it is and may require technology is a choice. Be totally offgrid or figure out a way to balance technology access with a simpler life. Perhaps keeping reference books on specific aspects would be better for offgrid living of Kindle subscriptions are a problem.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Master Pontificator

I feel like I'm losing my best friends! While I certainly can understand the reasoning, I'm sad none the less. We look forward to receiving BWH and read it cover to cover. I guess I will just continue to buy the yearly anthology and spend the snowy months getting my BWH fix. I'm willing to give the new mag a chance, as I haven't read it. Didn't think I needed it as long as I had BWH.

I'm not a Kindle person by choice, so I guess this will have to do. Hope the forum says as is, though. Just have to wait and see.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Adapting to changing conditions is a key survival tool, for example when the massive herds of mamoths and horses were gone from north America the technology for the Atlatl and the clovis point were forgotten in favor of smaller hunting weapons like the bow, smaller for smaller game and more accurate. i am sure nobody liked loosing those mamoth steaks but they had to adapt. the vikings in contrast had arrived in greenland and tried to replicate the way they lived in scandanavia despite the land not being suited to it, they clear cut the few forested fjords for pasture and fields, and in 30 years the land was a lifeless wasteland again due to errosion, they did not eat seals or other foods that their skrailing neighbors ate and in the end the colony failed, Iceland had done the same thing but after destroying 90% of the habitable areas they adappted with strict laws to stop the loss and rarely allow change over the last 1000 years for fear of continuing the loss of the little farmland left.

on a very small scale i have a drug dealing off grid bum who had started living off grid in the 70s so he wouldn't have bills to pay and spent all his time drinking and pot smoking and selling pot to cover his beer expenses. he was up on the technology available in the 70s when he started, but has not adapted to anything developed since. in the winter he spent $40 a month on kerosiene for his 1 smokey lamp and sat in almost total darkness, rarely bathing or changing his longjohns because it was too much work to fill a tub, or use a washboard. what he spent in a year on keroseine could easily have bought a 12 volt marine battery, 45 watt solar array kit, and some LED lights that would have lasted 4 or 5 years just for lights, and replacing the battery at the 5 year point. for him it would have been cost effective and more efficent to adopt the new technology. however he is stuck in the mindset he had when he started and looses money because he refuses to consider new options, "stuck in his ways".

failure to adapt is a sure path to failure (as the greenlanders found out), adapting, even if you don't want to, is the only way to keep moving forward. i sure don't want to go to a kindle, but i have all the anthologies printed so far and have resolved to just buying the anthologies as they come out, even if i had a kindle i would still buy the anthologies.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Master Pontificator

Ditto for me, Setanta.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM

I like my Kindle, especially for things I doubt that I'll read more than once, but for reference works like BHM...paper!

A Kindle is like any electronic device in that it needs to be charged now and then. Perhaps there will be some sort of electricity around, perhaps not. I am sorry to see the magazine go.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Master Pontificator

I am coming late to this discussion but I'm very sorry to see the magazine is going. Like some others, I prefer all my reference materials to be on good old fashioned paper...in part because I don't want to have to rely on electricity just to look something up, in part because I find it hard to look at a screen for too long - hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. I did not have a current subscription but I really wish I had done so now, before it went paperless.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

You will still be able to buy the yearly anthologies MotherCharlotte. In December, I believe. They won't have the advertising, but I want my paper reference materials. The advertising I can live without!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:29 AM

Just was reading an old issue and it was the one where Dave talks about discontinuing the print edition. (Issue May/June 2016)

If print is so bad, why is the new magazine in print? And, I noticed the following comment:

"Self-Reliance magazine covers many of the same topics as Backwoods Home Magazine but it will steer clear of politics, guns, and other controversial subjects."
Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 AM

People are wanting to retire: it isn't just that paper magazines are expensive to publish