BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Extending my 24v generator line-to-batteries

Hello,
I'm using a 24v truck alternator on a hydro wheel to provide direct power to a 24v battery bank. The alternator has its own voltage regulator, but I also use a charge controller that has a dump load (I'm using a solar/hydro combo system).

So here is my idea and question: right now, I have the 24v alternator about 3 meters from the batteries, and using a standard size car battery cable for that 3 meter length (which I'm thinking itself is overkill, but....).

What I would like to do is move my batteries away from the alternator to a "better" spot in my storage house, and that distance is 8 meters away.

The 24v alternator never appears to generate more that 10 amps, which is to say the hydro wheel can't turn any faster and I'm already setup with a number of gears, so that won't change.

I've used an online calculator (found here: http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html), and if what its results are true, then for a 24v system with 10amps running up to 10 meters long and only experiencing a 3% drop, I would only need to use a 6mm2 or 9 AWG cable.

Is that correct? And/or should I bump the cable from the alternator to the battery bank to 10mm2 or 8 AWG, just to be sure?

Or, what would be my options to somehow transfer that 24v/10amp power from the alternator at the alternator, to run it a 10meter distance to where the batteries will sit?

Thanks for considering.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Here's another chart..

http://www.solarseller.com/dc_wire_loss_chart___.htm

In this case, bigger IS better..

8Ga. seems to be fine for a 2% loss at 30 Ft. It's always better to overkill to cover any possible losses in the connections at both ends. Always solder if possible..
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 AM

Thanks 12vman! As always, give a helpful reply.

I'm definitely going to go with as large a wire size as makes sense for safety and economy. As well, put a quality fuse in that line. Cheers.