BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 AM

Default Winter items going on clearance!

I was at the local Wally World and saw that they are clearing out the winter items to make way for the summer stuff. Coming in are the box fans, window air conditioners, and beach/lawn chairs. But...

Marked way down on clearance are starter logs (bust them up and use them for fire starters), assorted fireplace stuff like box matches, portable electric heaters , and more importantly, portable propane and kerosene heaters, and replacement kerosene heater wicks are marked down to $5. The kerosene heater wicks are not with the clearance stuff in the local store, but have been moved all the way over on the other side of the hardware department.

I sure could have used some of the above a couple of years ago during that big ice storm when the electricity was gone...

Unfortunately, lamp oil and similar items still carried in the camping section haven't been marked down (yet!)

So check out the local Wally World, Target, Big Lots, and hardware store if you are in the neighborhood, you might pick up a good deal!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Master Pontificator

unless they are overstocked on oil and lanterns for the camping supplies they probably won't be marked down. the only times i have seen those get marked down was when tractor supply had 2 endcaps covered in them and they went town 70% off just to get them out at the end of the season, TSC doesn't usually keep them in stock in my area except in the fall as winter items. dollar general and the like will mark them down but in my experience their laps are cheap knockoffs of better brands and even the tiny bottles of oil are not a good mark down price (by volume your better off with a single gallon bottle rather than a dozen little ones even at clearence prices)

the wally world in my area already cleaned out winter inventory in late january, excellent place to shop if you hit the EOS sales at the right time
Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Here in the GWN (Great White North) it seems you spend time this winter planning what to do better and easier next winter.

So include thrift stores in the mix of places to monitor for bargains. Being a big guy it is many times hard to score clothes usable to me. However I did recently score a pair of Helly Hanson, and a pair of other name brand long under ware to replace old ones as needed. Plus a couple nice pair of Thinsulate ski gloves, and wool blend socks..
Good hunting.